WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Agnostics

Old 10-03-2017, 01:19 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
And yet you say you know...

But if someone else's knowing is different than yours, it's "stupidity?"
Beat me to it, if CityBoy knows everything, shouldn't he be calling agnostics dumbasses as well?

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-03-2017, 02:42 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Most of my friends and loved ones believe in something supernatural.

They're intelligent and astute enough to accept that I need something in the way of evidence -- and that for me, anecdotes etc. -- regardless of how many -- just don't cut it.

They know it doesn't have anything to do with "stupidity" -- and I feel the same way about them and their beliefs.

Cityboy on the other hand...

Last edited by Myers; 10-03-2017 at 03:11 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

For some people, if you contradict their comforting narratives about death and the afterlife it's upsetting.

The psychology behind believing in ESP -- that's a little more tricky. That's more along the lines of conspiracy theorists and people who believe in alien abductions etc. Maybe it's about the whole idea that you are in the know and everyone else just doesn't see it or isn't "open minded."

But unlike God and angels and spirits etc., if ESP exists, it should be pretty easy to demonstrate in a way that leaves little doubt. I wonder why it hasn't happened...
Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 139

Mr. Forgiving, did I ever say Pickle is "stupid"? If my short term memory is correct, you are the one who called me a "fraud" because your brain cannot conceive that something beyond the senses "does" exist.

I said that the practice of confusing "beliefs" with "truths" (as Pickle has done) is "dangerous." It is a play straight from Hitler's playbook. According to my own experiences, I am convinced that there is more than meets the eye, much more. But, I'm not about to convince you. or any other atheist -- that is common sense. Your closest relative who sees an apparition couldn't convince you. You would simply dismiss it because that is how you have wired your brain.

You use words such as "comforting," how clever. You sound like another atheist who brought into the conversation a "security blanket." You people are all a cut from the same fabric. You all try to paint anyone who has had a supernatural experience as a "nut case." There isn't anything unique about your kind. Take away your "book knowledge," and you'll be a plain hole.

"I am only in the know?" I could type thousands of names about people who have had rewarding experiences with the occult. I could post titles of hundreds, probably thousands, of books written by credible and honest people from all professions bout the supernatural. How dare you say "only I am in the know." That is a slap in the face to literally tens of thousands of intelligent people who have devoted their time to ESP and all that goes with it. Why do you despise me so much, anyway?

Your beliefs aren't "upsetting" to me. Years ago, I set off on a discovery, did the hard and lonely work, (without people like you or anyone else in mind), and it paid off. The proper word is "rewarding."

Last edited by Cityboy; 10-03-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Old 10-03-2017, 05:38 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
If my short term memory is correct, you are the one who called me a "fraud" because your brain cannot conceive that something beyond the senses "does" exist.
It's funny how you re-imagined this. It's a good window into your self-deception and how your mind works in general. I didn't call you a fraud because of what you believe or my skepticism (which is simply based on a need for credible evidence).

I called you a fraud because you claim there is "room enough for everyone" -- until you come up against an opinion or belief that is different than yours.

Then it's "stupidity."

What Picklebottom said regrading ESP and "truth" was this:

Only because it is a field that has no implications or truth behind it.
I'll go out on a limb and speak for him.

Clearly, in this context, he is talking about evidence -- or lack of it. He went on to clarify that -- but you couldn't or wouldn't understand.

Again, that's what all this comes down to -- lack of evidence and a pure reliance on hearsay and anecdotes. And without evidence, the number of people who believe is irrelevant.

I would never claim that saying certain beliefs are comforting is clever or original. It's more like restating the obvious. But if you don't believe in God or the supernatural, then you're naturally going to look at the psychology behind the belief. It's not automatically a criticism -- and it's the same with ESP.

It's irrelevant to me that "tens of thousands" or whatever of people (or whatever number you pull our of thin air) study or believe in ESP. Why is it that no one can come up with even a simple demonstration that proves it exists? It's a "slap in the face" that I simply ask for credible evidence? Do you hear me saying, well, millions of people don't believe in ESP, so therefore it doesn't exist? No -- because it's a lame argument.

And I certainly never said anyone who has a supernatural experience is a "nutcase." I think people have powerful psychological reasons to believe -- and if it makes them feel better -- it makes no difference to me. Like I said, most people I know believe in something supernatural -- but they are rational and sensible in other aspects of their lives.

Again, I know you think this "forgiving" thing is a clever gotcha. That piece I wrote was about family and holding grudges based on past grievances and slights. It doesn't mean I shouldn't call you on all your nonsense.

And I call B.S. -- everything you say here -- every attempt to validate your beliefs with cut and paste quotations, every way that you misconstrue what people are saying -- even your belief that "I despise you" or that without "book knowledge," I'd be a "plain hole" shows that you are upset by anything or anyone that contradicts your beliefs. I seriously doubt you're fooling anyone.

So -- once again, you're wrong or confused on all points. Man, that seems like it would be exhausting.

Last edited by Myers; 10-04-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Old Yesterday, 02:24 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Thank God he made me an atheist.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table