WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


"Sexual Minorities" more likely to become pregnant or to impregnate someone.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default


Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Or possibly a Pixies fan...

]

I was thinking that too.

__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017), Myers (09-04-2017)
  #32  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Love me some Pixies...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
  #33  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:48 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Love me some Pixies...
Keep the band info coming guys - consider yourselves the rescue party to retrieve my soul from old fart-ness.
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:51 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Love me some Pixies...
yea, pretty good. I hadn't listened to them for a while, should get back to it. I'm bingeing on another band at the moment ... oops, forgot this isn't a music thread!
__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
yea, pretty good. I hadn't listened to them for a while, should get back to it. I'm bingeing on another band at the moment ... oops, forgot this isn't a music thread!
Don't let that stop you Leila - with only three 'vehicles' currently on the road, I don't think we need to adhere to lane discipline.

What other band?
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default

Wipers. Not very well known ... only recently discovered them and I'm in love ... for the moment, anyway.
__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Keep the band info coming guys - consider yourselves the rescue party to retrieve my soul from old fart-ness.
They've been around a while. Don't know how big they were in the U.K., but even in their heyday in the late 80's and early 90's, they had more of a cult following.

To the point of it being a cliche, they are cited as an influence to so many bands -- including the whole "grunge" thing. Bowie was a huge fan too.

Here's a song that's a little more accessible --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iC0YXspJRM
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
  #38  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Wipers. Not very well known ... only recently discovered them and I'm in love ... for the moment, anyway.
Oh I know them! I'm hip and cool! No, wait - I know them because you posted them on the music thread.

Kinda hip and cool by proxy maybe..
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grace Gabriel For This Useful Post:
Myers (09-04-2017)
  #39  
Old 09-04-2017, 02:58 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Ha ha ha!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Oh I know them! I'm hip and cool! No, wait - I know them because you posted them on the music thread.

Kinda hip and cool by proxy maybe..
haha. Their frontman Greg Sage is a true genius far as I'm concerned. (yea I'm in fangirl mode lol)
__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne

Last edited by Leila; 09-04-2017 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
  #41  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Myers, you've more than amply demonstrated your pedigree as a musician ...can you hear Pixies' Where Is My Mind song in this one?

https://youtu.be/k4V3Mo61fJM
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 09-04-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
And I suppose that might come across as an unnecessary jab at innocent oxen.
No, i'm not prejudiced against oxen - although I doubt there are any reading this thread for me to worry about political correctness - although my assumption that all oxen can't read is probably a prejudice in itself - I mean, if they grew up in countries that offered the education and opportunities, they probably could read - so in fact they're thwarted by a lack of rights and equal opportunity - and there's nothing to suggest that illiteracy and unemployment has driven oxen to a life of crime - I mean, it's easy to claim an ox stole your car or spray-painted the side of the house because they all look the same - although I probably can't say that either....this place really messes with my head.
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-04-2017, 04:13 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
Same here. Winters where I live are easy. Summers are cruel. Spring and Autumn are very nearly non-existent, being increasingly eaten by the other two. When it's cold you can always throw on an extra layer, but law restricts taking things in the other direction, and even when you start peeling off in the privacy of your own abode, you can only go so far before you're faced with the prospect of flaying yourself.
Here in Scotland it's not even that hot, usually, but anything above 21 or 22 degrees Celsius is too much for me to handle.

Everyone else I know is always thrilled to see the sun and soak up the heat when it comes, makes me feel an alien or something ...
__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-04-2017)
  #44  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,815
Thanks: 359
Thanks 842
Default

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
Here in Scotland it's not even that hot, usually, but anything above 21 or 22 degrees Celsius is too much for me to handle.



Everyone else I know is always thrilled to see the sun and soak up the heat when it comes, makes me feel an alien or something ...


OMG! You would die here in Arizona.

Conversely, I can't take the cold. There are only a couple dozen days a year where the daytime temps drop below 50 or 60F. I only own two pairs of long pants, and the closest thing I have to a coat is a hoodie.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 205
Thanks 357
Default

Between thinking about how lucky I am to live in a climate which seldom sees freezing temperatures, and seldom sees heat above eighty-five degrees Fahrenheit (I believe we were the only part of the West not in triple-digits the last couple of days), I wonder at the finding that lesbians are getting pregnant at twice or three times the rate of girls who only fuck boys.

Or do I wonder too much?
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-04-2017, 11:17 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,815
Thanks: 359
Thanks 842
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Between thinking about how lucky I am to live in a climate which seldom sees freezing temperatures, and seldom sees heat above eighty-five degrees Fahrenheit (I believe we were the only part of the West not in triple-digits the last couple of days), I wonder at the finding that lesbians are getting pregnant at twice or three times the rate of girls who only fuck boys.

Or do I wonder too much?


I find it hard to believe you've never fucked a 'lesbian'. C'mon man!

I expect a story about this topic. I'll give you a week.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Myers, you've more than amply demonstrated your pedigree as a musician ...can you hear Pixies' Where Is My Mind song in this one?

https://youtu.be/k4V3Mo61fJM
Good ear.

Hadn't noticed that -- but you can sing the melody in the verse of "Fix You" over "Where is My Mind." It doesn't work quite as well in reverse.

In my circles, it's not cool to like Cold Play, but I think they've put out some great music that I really like -- A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y especially. Some of the new stuff -- uh, not so much. But "Fix You" is definitely one of the gems.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:38 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Left
Posts: 125
Thanks: 25
Thanks 43
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
OMG! You would die here in Arizona.

.
I should count my blessings ...
__________________
There is nothing more overwhelming than this attraction of the abyss - Jules Verne
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:40 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
No, i'm not prejudiced against oxen - although I doubt there are any reading this thread for me to worry about political correctness - although my assumption that all oxen can't read is probably a prejudice in itself - I mean, if they grew up in countries that offered the education and opportunities, they probably could read - so in fact they're thwarted by a lack of rights and equal opportunity - and there's nothing to suggest that illiteracy and unemployment has driven oxen to a life of crime - I mean, it's easy to claim an ox stole your car or spray-painted the side of the house because they all look the same - although I probably can't say that either....this place really messes with my head.
I don't have a problem with oxen. We had some move in to the neighborhood -- I was worried about property values, but I don't think it's had any effect -- and they mostly keep to themselves...
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,702
Thanks: 334
Thanks 346
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I find it hard to believe you've never fucked a 'lesbian'. C'mon man!

I expect a story about this topic. I'll give you a week.
Once I got loaded with a couple of girls and it was decided we were going to do a threesome.

Just as things were getting underway, one of them ran from the room and threw up. The other one was like, uh, you should probably go now.

I tried not to take it personally.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-05-2017, 06:37 AM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Between thinking about how lucky I am to live in a climate which seldom sees freezing temperatures, and seldom sees heat above eighty-five degrees Fahrenheit (I believe we were the only part of the West not in triple-digits the last couple of days), I wonder at the finding that lesbians are getting pregnant at twice or three times the rate of girls who only fuck boys.

Or do I wonder too much?
The medical profession should seriously look into this. Think of all the money and time spent on researching fertility treatment and IVF for the hetero gals - when all it takes to successfully conceive is "Not tonight - I'm a lesbian."
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Prodigalson's Avatar
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Humboldt Co., CA
Posts: 2,009
Thanks: 205
Thanks 357
Default

I think it would take, "I'm a lesbian -- except for tonight."
__________________
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Grace Gabriel's Avatar
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,370
Thanks: 1,933
Thanks 1,041
Default

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I think it would take, "I'm a lesbian -- except for tonight."
Now come on Prod...you know the challenge of the unobtainable is what gets a male motor running.
__________________
GRACE GABRIEL
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:21 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.