WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

North Korea

Old 07-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179
Default North Korea

The United States should have stayed out of Korea. If we had, Korea would be one country today, not unlike Vietnam. Koreans are the same people and should be together. The damage is done! Now North Korea is belligerent and paranoid, cut off from the rest of the world. Hothead Kim Jung-un grew up hating the United States and is testing missiles. He wants nuclear warheads. Kim is deceiving himself if he thinks he can win a nuclear war. It may come down to the US nuking North Korea before North Korea nukes the US. Even then, chaos may ensue. Kim's million man army may pour into South Korea. The city of Seoul is but 35 miles across the border. America's national security is paramount. Better to nuke than to be nuked!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Colyer For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:38 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
The United States should have stayed out of Korea. If we had, Korea would be one country today, not unlike Vietnam. Koreans are the same people and should be together. The damage is done! Now North Korea is belligerent and paranoid, cut off from the rest of the world. Hothead Kim Jung-un grew up hating the United States and is testing missiles. He wants nuclear warheads. Kim is deceiving himself if he thinks he can win a nuclear war. It may come down to the US nuking North Korea before North Korea nukes the US. Even then, chaos may ensue. Kim's million man army may pour into South Korea. The city of Seoul is but 35 miles across the border. America's national security is paramount. Better to nuke than to be nuked!
You make a good point, that the Ghosts of Christmas Past can still return and haunt countries, years after they make their choices. Knowing this, that choices can haunt a country years afterwards, would a nuclear weapon be the best and only option?
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
You make a good point, that the Ghosts of Christmas Past can still return and haunt countries, years after they make their choices. Knowing this, that choices can haunt a country years afterwards, would a nuclear weapon be the best and only option?

Aren't the Chinese gonna step in and cool that guy's jets ... er ,,, rockets?

If N.K. launched and Star Wars worked Team Trump/Mad Dog Mattis and Company would be in a position of justifiable retaliation in the World's eyes, eh?

Now that would be an unexpected precipice.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Aren't the Chinese gonna step in and cool that guy's jets ... er ,,, rockets?

If N.K. launched and Star Wars worked Team Trump/Mad Dog Mattis and Company would be in a position of justifiable retaliation in the World's eyes, eh?

Now that would be an unexpected precipice.
Yeah, it is ironic though that the various leaders of the world need to sit down with North Korea and state something along the lines of, "C'mon man, you're being unreasonable". Assholes trying to tell another asshole to stop being an asshole probably would not work, and yeah I suppose if North Korea set off theirs they will get a few back, that's the way the world operates.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-05-2017, 05:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

North Korea has long been on the menu. This whole situation has nothing to do with a crazy dictator and a defensive US thwarting his ambitions. It has everything to do with turning the Far East into a functioning capitalist ally with materialistic tendencies.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 05:15 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

We did it with Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.

China is doing it without us invading so its North Koreas turn. The manpower and buying-potential is huge there.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2017, 09:51 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

The United States should have stayed out of Korea.

The United States should have stayed our of Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Iraq, should not have meddled in the Ukraine or sold weapons to the "good rebels" in Syria.

Hothead Kim Jung-un grew up hating the United States and is testing missiles. He wants nuclear warheads. Kim is deceiving himself if he thinks he can win a nuclear war.
Kim does not think he can beat the US in a nuclear war. The Krazy Kim schtick keeps him propped up in a starving country.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
The United States should have stayed our of Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, Iraq, should not have meddled in the Ukraine or sold weapons to the "good rebels" in Syria.

Kim does not think he can beat the US in a nuclear war. The Krazy Kim schtick keeps him propped up in a starving country.

Yes, if Kim were actually crazy one of his hardline generals would have put him out of his misery. Those guys don't fuck around.

This is a game he plays to leverage for some pallets of cash to keep his starving people from eating him, and the well to do elites in enough good wine to keep them from eating him too.

We play the game because he does have a pretty impressive military (although the US could squash it any time they wanted), and the trouble and refugee problem wrt his situation will be bad. Eventually, when we're ready and the political climate is ripe internationally and nationally, we will crack his nut.

We can't have 25 million potential consumers just sitting there, wasting away in poverty, when they could be enjoying a Coke, a Chevy, and some KFC, forever. That would be un-American.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yes, if Kim were actually crazy one of his hardline generals would have put him out of his misery. Those guys don't fuck around.

This is a game he plays to leverage for some pallets of cash to keep his starving people from eating him, and the well to do elites in enough good wine to keep them from eating him too.

We play the game because he does have a pretty impressive military (although the US could squash it any time they wanted), and the trouble and refugee problem wrt his situation will be bad. Eventually, when we're ready and the political climate is ripe internationally and nationally, we will crack his nut.

We can't have 25 million potential consumers just sitting there, wasting away in poverty, when they could be enjoying a Coke, a Chevy, and some KFC, forever. That would be un-American.
In Hong Kong your KFC meal comes with rice in place of mashed potatoes.

Well, I was surprised.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

In Hawaii too!

And at McDonalds you can also get a rice bowl with pineapple.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:47 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 346

In Taipei -- no rice that I could recall. But they did have french fries.

And you can only get Extra Crispy. No Original Recipe!
Old 07-07-2017, 06:00 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
In Taipei -- no rice that I could recall. But they did have french fries.

And you can only get Extra Crispy. No Original Recipe!

That's bullshit!

I hate extra crispy!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:24 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 346

Heh. I like extra crispy. But it has to be fresh -- if it's been sitting in the warmer, it can be greasy. And really, the same goes for the original recipe.

I worked at KFC in high school, so I guess I'm what you'd call a subject-matter expert.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:29 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

So... you know the Colonel's secret recipe?
Old 07-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 346

Heh. Naw -- it comes premixed in a little packet.

You can get recipes online that come pretty close. I make fried chicken from time to time -- I tried one once and it was pretty good.

But what really makes the original unique is that's it's made in a pressure cooker and I don't have one.

I can make a dead ringer of extra crispy. You dip the chicken in buttermilk batter, then roll it in plain flour -- then repeat.

My grandma made the best fried chicken I've ever tasted, but no one knows how she did it. Even my mom's was a lesser approximation.

All that said -- I'm going to fry up a mess of chicken tonight for supper! Guess I'll cook up some collard greens too and mash up some taters...

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table