WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Does this count as a plot hole?

Old 11-02-2016, 03:52 PM
ironpony (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Default Does this count as a plot hole?

I was told this was a plot hole in my story, and wanted some more opinions.

Basically the villain is the leader of a gang, and he has leverage on his members, should his members turn on him. Like if something were to happen to the leader, he has arranged for the leverage on that member to go to the police.

Basically the main character, who is a cop, finds out that the villain has leverage on all his members, and tricks the villain, by giving him a reason to turn over the leverage on one of his members. The villain goes to where he is keeping the leverage on everyone, which is buried in the ground, in a secluded place.

The MC is tracking the villain with a tracking device. Once the villain leaves, the MC finds the buried evidence, and calls for back up, to investigate it. The police now have evidence on the all the members of the gang, accept the leader of course.

However, I was told it was a plot hole, cause the leader wouldn't be stupid enough to keep i in the ground, where someone else could accidentally find it. The reason I had for him to keep it buried in the ground, so if the police ever got a search warrant to search his property or his computer, they wouldn't find all the leverage on everyone.

But I was told it was a plot hole and it makes no smart sense for the villain to do that, especially since he has been smart all along, so it's inconsistent. But at the same time, in order to get caught, he has to slip up somewhere.

What do you think?

Last edited by ironpony; 11-02-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 13

If it truly is in the middle of nowhere it isn't a plot hole. Think of the drug cartel, they would bury large sums of cash in the ground. Make a point of making it hard for the antagonist or "Villain" to get to the evidence.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 217

If consistency were a consistent characteristic of human behavior none of us would actually be human. We'd all have pointy ears and upswept eyebrows and be able to beat everyone at chess, except maybe Captain Kirk.

What your critic is saying is that he or she is simple in the head and wants your characters to be predictable robots. If you did this your writing would be boring. Plot derives from character. Your characters must be strong, vivid and real enough that the reader will buy into their inconsistencies.
Then you will no longer have plot holes.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues