WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Anybody can learn to write.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

Writing is something that anyone can do, in that anyone can learn the "rules' and mechanics for manufacturing sentences and paragraphs, chapters and novels. However, that is only the beginning. As I have repeatedly stated, without the "spark" of imagination that looks at a blank page and sees the story? Those mechanics are worthless- and that "spark" can not be taught, nor can it be learned.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 AM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181

Writing is not merely a simple skill or craft that anyone can pick up and go with. To write, you need to live. Experience, see, listen, feel, and most importantly, think. You can watch your years go by but if you don't live, writing will never come to you. One needs to handle the words carefully and instill in them the right moments at the right time in order to deliver whatever punch the writer is trying to. Writing is literature, one of the most beautiful form of art. An art that not everyone can master. One can have Samuel Johnson teach him how to put pieces of noun, adjective and verbs together, but if that one piece that defines a true writer is not within him, it is still devoid of use whether he gets Samuel Johnson or William Hazlitt.

Cheers,
LeWriter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
sirensix (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 6

I would just add one word to the subject line. Anybody can learn to write better.

There is no magical point at which you have "learned to write." Pick any book off the shelf and there will be someone who tells you that person can't write.

Everyone can learn the rules of grammar if they try hard enough. Beyond that, it's subjective. But everyone, if they try hard enough, can improve so vastly on their former writing that it seems miraculous.

Last edited by sirensix; 08-21-2013 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: accidental boldface
Old 09-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Godiva (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 AM
huntsman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Everybody can figure out how to write,but to what extent? Not every living soul will be energetic about compose. Energy might be constrained. Authors are connected with there make much the same as soul.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Story telling is a talent and most generations excepted that... Then there came the internet and self help books...
The Following User Says Thank You to calligraphy For This Useful Post:
Synch (10-04-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Britt (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

Anyone can learn to write, yes... but not everyone can learn to write well.

Take, for example, my cousin. My cousin's my age and loves to write and has been writing for several years... however, she has no understanding of point-of-view and time management within a story. She has no understanding of basic grammar and often, when she sends me things to read, it's impossible because she's tried to meld first person and third person into one. To put it bluntly, it's like trying to read baby-talk. However, for her lack of writing talent, she's absolutely exceptional at coming up with interesting plots and plot-twists for stories.

"Death is but a word."

Last edited by Britt; 09-07-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Old 09-21-2013, 04:06 PM
jonparov (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

I'm not sure I truly believe in the innate talent argument, I think in the end it comes down to: A)Experience, and B)Education.

Experience not just in life, but also in what you have read and been influenced by - most importantly if you have learned to reflect intelligently on those experiences.

Tolstoy, for example, was said to be: "both unable and unwilling to learn". But in early life he ran up gambling debts, joined the army, travelled around europe - witnessing a public execution in france, slept around, conversed with some of the great thinkers and writers of his time, established 13 schools, and generally led an interesting life. All of which he clearly reflected deeply upon.

Recently I researched the backgrounds to some of the Booker prize winning authors, and others from the past who are highly regarded. Most, if not all, had either a higher education (the top degrees appear to be English, History, and philosophy) or intense life experiences, sometimes both.

In the end it comes down to having something to say, and knowing how to say it (and why you want to say it that way, as opposed to another - I believe Dostoyevsky wrote Crime and Punishment three times, once first person, once third, and once in a journal or epistolary style before he settled on the final draft).

Cheers,
J.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:30 PM
egrizzly (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 57

I think writing does not have to be formal. It is true that for some people it comes naturally, just like some people are natural painters while others have to learn it mechanically.

...yet another interesting discussion, can certain things you do in life lead you to become a natural writer, or bring out the innate writing talent within you.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:22 AM
trettig (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I am sure that most of you have heard about the 10000 hour rule which was made famous by Malcom Gladwell?

One of the researchers most eminent in that subject is Dr. K. Anders Ericsson. He says that if you do anything for at least 10000 hours, then you will become eminent in the field.

However, just doing it is not enough. People who become eminent do what he calls "deliberate practise", which basically means that you practise a certain aspect of your field in a structured way. So instead of just keeping on writing, you practise a certain aspect of writing over and over again until you can do it in your sleep.

I personally believe that deliberate practise combined with the necessary 10000 hours of practise can make anyone an expert in anything including writing.

If you are interested, just google him. Unfortunately I can't share links because I haven't written 10 posts yet. Otherwise I would've shared links to his research with you guys.

. A Story written by anybody who wants to. Publish your own stories in the community section, build your reputation as a writer and sell your own books without a publisher!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:38 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 883

:::::
oh.

this is writing to you right? according to some poets shapes and dots and empty nothing
is of the highest statement in literature. it is considered an artistic expression.
why worry when nothing is something?
you could be in an air loom to last you to the moon
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Shareallicu (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Icon12 Me too

Originally Posted by Webgoji View Post
It's kind of like the difference between Mozart and Beethoven. Mozart was a natural, Beethoven had to really, really work at ever piece. Just look at their rough drafts. You can't read Beethoven's original notes and such, but Mozart had two or three edits and done.

I would assume many writers are like this. Some have it almost naturally, others take 20 rewrites before something is readable. (I fit the later myself.)

Writing is also very difficult for me, but I love it, and I feel it's who I am! I wish I had the natural talent to write, but I have enough passion to work at it so I guess it doesn't really matter too much
Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Shareallicu View Post
I wish I had the natural talent to write... I guess it doesn't really matter too much
Doesn't matter at all. It's just the difference between success and a lifetime of disappointment.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Dosto7 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I agree to some extent. The writing 'mechanics' can be taught but I don't think you can teach true writing talent.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:32 AM
JackReed (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I think that not everyone can write ... of course, looking at what to write...

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice