WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

My Harry Potter collection has arrived!

Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Wonka (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 16
Default My Harry Potter collection has arrived!

Ok, I have just purchased the entire set in hardback.

Now, I have read the first in fits and starts, but now I'm going to settle down and read through the entire adventure from the beginning. Has anyone read these books? Would you like to share with me what you think I'm in for?

I'm expecting a thrilling adventure that I'll never forget.

Many thanks.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Redlorry

I enjoyed this series immensley. When I stated reading them only the first four had been released. And every time a new one came out there was no point in me planning anything for the next couple of days, because I just wanted to read.

Please remember they are essentially a childrens book, or young adult. So you may find if you allocate large chucks of time to dedicated reading that cut through them like a hot knife through butter and your summer reading plans will need extending.

There are two additional books JK wrote one is a a History of Quidditch, the other, I forget the name, they are somewhere on my shelf, but it's about magical beasts - I think. They were released for charity. But if you enjoy the series you might be able to pick them up on E-bay.

I love the Harry Potter series. JK Rowling has a wicked imagination and creates a world where her readers can immerse themselves in fantasy. But once again please remember who the target audience is as I would hate readers to be disappointed; the heroes of the stories are children.

My favorite in the series is Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire. A million times better than the film.

My own children, especially my son, are probably still a bit too young to have me read to them from a book without pictures But I look forward to the day when I can share these stories with them. The films are great, but it's the books that will fire their imaginations.

I truly hope you enjoy reading them, Wonka.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

When Harry Potter first very first came out, I LOVED it. Years later, more and more people began to read it, and slowly everyone loved it too. I secretly began to seethe, because I thought to myself...it was great loving a book and going on a secret journey no one else or very few had been on.

The more famous it got, the more noise people made, the more J.K felt obligated to write, the more I drifted away. And of course I 'have' to be extreme and pretend I wasn't interested at all to the point of giving my books away to my younger siblings when I noticed they were budding readers on one of my visits home.

I regret that now. And am more open to admitting that I really did love Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone, and that it was J.K. who inspired me to share my own worlds with other people. So! Congratulations on your Harry Potter collection! I hope they give you lots of joy .

(oh oh p.s.):
You know on the films, I've only watched the 1st and 2nd one (maybe 3rd) [I did skip a bit to see Helena Bonham carter in another one or maybe it was a video clip on youtube], I got upset when one of my favourite scenes was completely skipped in one of the movies and had watched just to see it, and after that I never went back to watch another movie.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Wonka (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 16

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
The films are great
I thought the films were average at best to be honest, but don't worry, I don't think there's even such a thing as being too old to appreciate and enjoy a great story.

The first book was good, although I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I read it, as I was going through hell at the time and was deeply depressed (which is why I've decided to start again).

I'm really looking forward to reading them all, and I think I'm in for something really special. What appeals to millions of people around the world, usually appeal to me also.

Thanks for your kind input.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Redlorry

The films are great, although the earlier ones are better, because they are by the same director. It annoyed me when new directors toy wth established scenery like the great hall and the grounds.

Like you Ravenius it annoys me when favorite scenes from the book are cut up or over looked. Doby, for instance has been ignored since 'The Chamber of Secrets' yet what happens to him in 'The Deathly Hallows' influences Harry greatly, he's supposd to have been a main character guiding Harry through many of his adventures. I wonder if he will be ignored completely from the last two films.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

When I was 11 someone gave me the first book for Xmas and I gave it away to someone else. Didn't want to read it. Then in 7th grade it was an assigned reading for class, so I had to read it. Loved it. Went to the library to get 2-4. (Only 4 were out). Then my mother bought me the collectors edition of 1-4. Got 5 for my 15th bday. Got 6 when it came out. Got 7 the day it came out but just read it earlier this year. It destroyed me when one of my favorite characters died, so I put off reading it for 2 years.

BUT, my collection is ruined. Back in 12th grade I let a classmate hold book 4. I never got it back. That was 5 years ago.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Lagrange (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 84

I've read them. And as Redlorry suggested, you have to go in realizing your reading something that was written for kids. As long as you do that, the books are a fun read.

And I'll always give thanks, praise, and worship to Rowling and Meyers. I don't care how "juvenile" or "insipid" their books are alleged to be--these two ladies introduced MILLIONS of kids to reading. In a world where kids see reading as a chore, if not a punishment-- Rowling and Meyers had kids lined up for blocks to pick up a book. Not a video game, not an Iphone--but a BOOK!!
Anyone who can't see the importance in that has to be tragically naive to just how anti-reading our society is becoming.

And even if only ten percent of those kids move on to "better" stuff and become lifetime readers, well that adds up to a freaking lot of people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lagrange For This Useful Post:
Casper (09-08-2010), Gwyndolin (09-26-2010)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Wonka (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 16

Originally Posted by Lagrange View Post
I've read them. And as Redlorry suggested, you have to go in realizing your reading something that was written for kids. As long as you do that, the books are a fun read.

And I'll always give thanks, praise, and worship to Rowling and Meyers. I don't care how "juvenile" or "insipid" their books are alleged to be--these two ladies introduced MILLIONS of kids to reading. In a world where kids see reading as a chore, if not a punishment-- Rowling and Meyers had kids lined up for blocks to pick up a book. Not a video game, not an Iphone--but a BOOK!!
Anyone who can't see the importance in that has to be tragically naive to just how anti-reading our society is becoming.

And even if only ten percent of those kids move on to "better" stuff and become lifetime readers, well that adds up to a freaking lot of people.

Ineffably great post! Well said!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Wil11 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Read HP just when the chamber os secrets came out in paperback, loved it ever since.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:02 AM
JnAkers (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 30

Really...a childrens book. Now i dont agree with that. Young adult sure. but the themes in the later harry potter books are too mature for little kids to understand. Now theres nothing inapporaite for children in the books, but there shouldent have to be loads of insane violance or half dressed women for it to be an adult book.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 AM
SILVERSPARKS (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

I've started reading the Harry Potter series when I was twelve, which is about four years ago. I read all of the books at least five times each. You can say I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and am in love with the books. I actually started re-reading the series not too long ago myself - I finished the first novel once more, but have taken a break. I'll probably start up in a few months, I can't go too long without a dose of Potter.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Spresso (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 10

You'll love every book, but be warned, at 'Deathly Hallows' tears just might be shed.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
SILVERSPARKS (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Haha, so true.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
JnAkers (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 30

Who hasnt read them mulitaple times?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 AM
Wonka (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 16

Originally Posted by Spresso View Post
You'll love every book, but be warned, at 'Deathly Hallows' tears just might be shed.
Good! This is what I want! I love a good cry.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM
RonPrice (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via Yahoo to RonPrice
Default Some Thoughts on Harry Potter

HARRY POTTER

Part 1:

Expressions of concern about the Harry Potter books seem to have spanned the time period from 1997 through 2007 as I was retiring from: (a) the world of employment after 32 years as a teacher and another 18 as a student, and (b) the world of very active engagement in Baha’i community life. There was a concentration of concerned expression in the years 2000 and 2001, just after I retired from my last full-time job as a teacher in Australia. The most likely explanation for this “panic peak” is that 2000 was the year that the first three books in the Harry Potter series became widely available through the American publishing company, Scholastic Books, followed by the release of the fourth book in the series, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In 2001 the first feature film, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was released. The general social and international political climate leading up to the events of 9/11 in 2001 may have also contributed to this slight peak in the Potter Panic since it is not unusual for moral panics to erupt during troubled times. -Ron Price with thanks to E. Goode and N. Ben-Yehuda, Moral Panics: The Social Construction of Deviance, Blackwell, Boston, 1994.

Part 2:

During that cultural mass phenomenon(1) and (2)
of the age, the age of the years of my retirement
from the world of jobs, nose to the community
grindstone---although it was not really as bad as
that----J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter book series
was not something I was into, as they say.

It was the subject of both praise and controversy.
Potter Panic was generated by groups & individuals
in the Christian Right, casting the literary wizard &
his creator as some kind of socio-moral folk devils.

It was not surprising that the moral panic took hold
most strongly in the United States where a Christian
Right tends to be the strongest, much more influence
than here in these secularized Antipodes where I have
lived & had my being these last forty years since 1971.

(1) and (2) The seven-book Harry Potter series claimed eight spots on the USA Todaybestseller list according to J. Chan, “Harry Potter books claim eight spots on bestseller list.” Christian Today, August 2007.(1) While the feature films, based on the books, have also been widely successful, each drawing over $200 million in the United States and over $750 million worldwide.(2) –Ron Price 29/6/’10 with thanks to: (1) http://au.christiantoday.com/ and (2) www.boxoffice mojo.com.

Last edited by RonPrice; 01-22-2014 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: to add some words
Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Shikkui (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11

got the seventh one in Tokyo... One of the workers released the book 2 days early so I got to read it really early XD
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Jakashi (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

The Harry Potter series is very well written, at first although I thought it seemed more of a children's book, but as I followed the series closely it seemed to attract all ages with its great plots and characters.
Over the books the characters all develop very well.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 AM
ArcThomas (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 18
Send a message via MSN to ArcThomas

Harry potter pissed me off.
don't get me wrong, goood books.
But if I had a radio, I'd of brought it to school.. wizards couldn't work a rubber duck.
Voldimort oh no ur wands don't click. BANG!
ahah. but whatever harry doesn't remember being 9 that's his fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nothing supports Atheism. It just gives me a reason to prove you wrong
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

Don't let anyone tell you that JK Rowling is a bad writer, because they're wrong. I don't care whether or not she kinda sorta adjusted her target audience, I don't care if her books are uber successful, super success does not always mean hack writer. Rowling is a great writer with a fabulous imagination. You'll love the series.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King

Last edited by Reddy Dean; 10-08-2010 at 09:03 AM..
Old 08-30-2010, 05:38 AM
AdamMMA (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

I thought Chamber of Secrets, with Hermione playing amateur sleuth to try and work out why people are being frozen and The Deathly Hallows were the best in the series of books.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
longknife (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 89
Icon7

Originally Posted by JnAkers View Post
Really...a childrens book. Now i dont agree with that. Young adult sure. but the themes in the later harry potter books are too mature for little kids to understand. Now theres nothing inapporaite for children in the books, but there shouldent have to be loads of insane violance or half dressed women for it to be an adult book.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm 71 and I enjoy the Harry Potter books very much. Nice to know that makes me a kid!!!

Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

My mom is reading the series right now and will talk you to death about it. She loves them. I'm not so hasty to read them, but I might after she's done. Just to see what the hubbub is about.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 AM
RonPrice (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via Yahoo to RonPrice
Default Belated Apologies

Belated Apologies, folks; I have not been to this thread for well over 3 years. Old Harry Potter is still going strong.-Ron

Last edited by RonPrice; 01-22-2014 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: to add some words
Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Cari (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 13

It’s a bit amusing that the first Potter book was rejected I think 10 times before a small publishing firm took the risk with 500 hundred copies. I got to thinking what chance has a new author got when the big publishing firms can’t recognize when a multi- million pound manuscript is there in front of their eyes. Makes you wonder just how many more great novels lay gathering dust
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
HARRY POTTER

Part 1:

Expressions of concern about the Harry Potter books seem to have spanned the time period from 1997 through 2007 as I was retiring from: (a) the world of employment after 32 years as a teacher and another 18 as a student, and (b) the world of very active engagement in Baha’i community life. There was a concentration of concerned expression in the years 2000 and 2001, just after I retired from my last full-time job as a teacher in Australia. The most likely explanation for this “panic peak” is that 2000 was the year that the first three books in the Harry Potter series became widely available through the American publishing company, Scholastic Books, followed by the release of the fourth book in the series, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. In 2001 the first feature film, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was released. The general social and international political climate leading up to the events of 9/11 in 2001 may have also contributed to this slight peak in the Potter Panic since it is not unusual for moral panics to erupt during troubled times. -Ron Price with thanks to E. Goode and N. Ben-Yehuda, Moral Panics: The Social Construction of Deviance, Blackwell, Boston, 1994.

Part 2:

During that cultural mass phenomenon(1) and (2)
of the age, the age of the years of my retirement
from the world of jobs, nose to the community
grindstone---although it was not really as bad as
that----J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter book series
was not something I was into, as they say.

It was the subject of both praise and controversy.
Potter Panic was generated by groups & individuals
in the Christian Right, casting the literary wizard &
his creator as some kind of socio-moral folk devils.

It was not surprising that the moral panic took hold
most strongly in the United States where a Christian
Right tends to be the strongest, much more influence
than here in these secularized Antipodes where I have
lived & had my being these last forty years since 1971.

(1) and (2) The seven-book Harry Potter series claimed eight spots on the USA Todaybestseller list according to J. Chan, “Harry Potter books claim eight spots on bestseller list.” Christian Today, August 2007.(1) While the feature films, based on the books, have also been widely successful, each drawing over $200 million in the United States and over $750 million worldwide.(2) –Ron Price 29/6/’10 with thanks to: (1) http://au.christiantoday.com/ and (2) www.boxoffice mojo.com.
Ron, you tell us lots about you and your faith, but you fail to expand on your initial statement: that there have been concerns about the books.

Well?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:16 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Originally Posted by Cari View Post
It’s a bit amusing that the first Potter book was rejected I think 10 times before a small publishing firm took the risk with 500 hundred copies. I got to thinking what chance has a new author got when the big publishing firms can’t recognize when a multi- million pound manuscript is there in front of their eyes. Makes you wonder just how many more great novels lay gathering dust

Bloomsbury is not a small publishing firm by any stretch of the imagination. And it was accepted the first time after she rewrote the beginning.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Cari (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 13

Originally Posted by AnyaKimlun View Post
Bloomsbury is not a small publishing firm by any stretch of the imagination. And it was accepted the first time after she rewrote the beginning.

Well you maybe right but I think what I said has been repeated over and over again.

The Philosopher's Stone was rejected by a dozen publishers, including biggies like Penguin and HarperCollins. Bloomsbury, a small London publisher, only took it on at the behest of the CEO’s eight-year old daughter, who begged her father to print the book.

J.K Rowling was famously rejected by a mighty 12 publishers before Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone was accepted by Bloomsbury - and even then only at the insistence of the chairman's eight-year-old daughter.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:00 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

It doesn't change the fact they rejected a manuscript that began differently.

How many times did she rewrite it between it being touted?
Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Cari (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 13

I have no idea if she re-wrote the beginning or not but it’s widely accepted that the child requested her father to take the risk and publish. However, my point was that there are so many great first books that were rejected over and over again which puts the publisher’s judgement in a pretty poor light.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library