WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Myers' Random Thoughts and General B.S. Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Yeah - the old refrain.

Regardless - still interested to know how much traffic passes through these days.

Would guess the current owner is either savvy enough to know - or sufficiently disinbterested to never read this thread.
The answer isn't going to change regardless of how many times the question or some version of it asked.

The traffic mainly consists of the same users you see every day at the bottom of the page under "Current Active Users."

Beyond that, take a look at "Who is Online." You're going to see a whole lot of visitors who likely stumble on the site after doing a Google search.

Invariably, a popular thread is "Alternatives to Said" -- or other threads that might have to do with commonly searched topics. I doubt those visitors are a factor in considering the viability of the site.

Otherwise, it's hard to say what kind of analytics the site uses or how the owners use the data. Whatever it is, it's probably out of date.

Here's another old refrain -- internet forums in general are in steep decline -- even the ones that are well maintained and promoted.

flyingtart is right. It's likely a matter of time before this one disappears without explanation. We just need to enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

I asked Mo what stats he can/can't access for The Beat.

I'm interested.

All the rest is already known and much discussed on other threads but thanks.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Okey dokey, then.

How are you going to process or use that information should he produce it?
Old 09-22-2017, 03:45 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
The answer isn't going to change regardless of how many times the question or some version of it asked.

The traffic mainly consists of the same users you see every day at the bottom of the page under "Current Active Users."

Beyond that, take a look at "Who is Online." You're going to see a whole lot of visitors who likely stumble on the site after doing a Google search.

Invariably, a popular thread is "Alternatives to Said" -- or other threads that might have to do with commonly searched topics. I doubt those visitors are a factor in considering the viability of the site.

Otherwise, it's hard to say what kind of analytics the site uses or how the owners use the data. Whatever it is, it's probably out of date.

Here's another old refrain -- internet forums in general are in steep decline -- even the ones that are well maintained and promoted.

flyingtart is right. It's likely a matter of time before this one disappears without explanation. We just need to enjoy it while it lasts.

I think FT is right too, but what's keeping this site up is not the active user base. It's precisely all those hits this place gets for 'alternatives to said' and the clicks those produce. This place makes money off of people being placed in front of advertisements.

The fact that WB comes up on the first or second page of Google when someone types a question about writing means the SEO is still in full force.

This place has a huge volume of information archived for those curious about becoming a writer. That's valuable.

The active members are tits on a bull.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

My view on this is an occulpational hazard, I suppose.

Part of what my company does is develop websites and site content.

All of them at least use Google Analytics or even more sophisticated applications to hopefully collect actionable data -- meaning data that will allow them to make changes that increase site traffic, or more specifically capture customer information or generate meaningful sales leads, etc.

Visits that expose people to banner ads with little likelihood for click-through are irrelevant.

Maybe this site generates enough revenue to cover the hosting fees -- I'm betting it's not much more than that.

A rotating banner at the top of the page on a site like this might generate $20 per month each.

Woo hoo!

Last edited by Myers; 09-22-2017 at 05:51 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

The fact that WB comes up on the first or second page of Google when someone types a question about writing means the SEO is still in full force.
A search for "writing forums" -- yes. There are only a handful of them.

Do a search for something like "writing, show don't tell" or "writing, P.O.V." or some other common writing question and see if WB shows up on the first or second page...

Yes -- "alternatives to said" shows up in "who's online" -- but there isn't any other discernible pattern that I can see. My initial guess was the visits had to do with writing -- but it doesn't look that way on closer examination. Consider too that a lot of this site's content has nothing to do with writing.

So I think it's a bit of a mystery what search terms result in visits to WB. If revenue is tied to Google rankings related to writing questions -- it can't be much. Try it for yourself and see what happens.

Last edited by Myers; 09-22-2017 at 05:17 PM..
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I tried a new brand of beer (Redbridge) - or new to me. I guess it's "trendy" in that it's brewed from Sorghum and not wheat and thus is gluten free. Not that I care about gluten free.

The first was kinda meh, but my taste buds might have adjusted on the second beer (several days apart - for scientific purposes). The second was very pleasant. So it will go into my rotation.
I quit drinking just as the whole craft beer thing was cranking up. I remember that if I wanted something other than weak American beer, I'd get Sam Adams or a Bass etc. But I did most of my drinking in college -- so it was mostly about economy over taste.

So many of those beers -- they look and smell good. Sometimes I feel a twinge of envy. But yeah -- I've never even had an IPA -- and there's very little chance I ever will.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:22 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Saturday night at my house and it's about college football.

My wife and I are both watching our teams. My wife is watching Auburn on the big screen. I'm watching my team, Georgia, on my laptop.

Yeah, I could go to the bedroom and or to the basement and watch on a big screen -- but it seems weird to be at home on a Saturday night and be in different rooms.

How did I end up watching on the laptop?

Well, there's a saying in the south -- if mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy...

Last edited by Myers; 09-23-2017 at 05:25 PM..
Old 09-23-2017, 06:40 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

I wonder if football will survive the CTE crisis that seems to be everywhere in the news.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:36 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

("...just it's a pity writers aren't trolls at heart..." sighed the goblin knowing that none of this argument would ever occur on trolls forums, why, because those trolls are not on their forum to read works elsewhere, no they're there to fray with other trolls over whatever opinion they might hold, and it's so important to have an opinion where no one and nothing is ever asking you to have an opinion today, so for me it's so simple, I hit the new posts button, I read through the new posts if any, and then I either relate something from what I've just read there or I produce something off my own bat, yes I have no books, but thanks to your reading me directly we share a pretty good replyship without the binds of that "must tow the line today" journalism, nor the fetters of madusa's publishing world neither, for writers without posts are like painters without sketches...", where the goblin wanted to relate more at this point but he also knew that sunday's open food market packs up a five o'clock, so the old man accompanied by the goblin no doubt would be off to there first, and then they'd return shortly with his dinner, the goblin just smiled "...meaning that you've got to be selfish upon forumland, or else it just isn't sustainable, naah don't worry about the forum per se, worry only about what you can get out of your posts while here now, yes we'll turn into literate trolls yet...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-24-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

I wonder if football will survive the CTE crisis that seems to be everywhere in the news.
I don't know what the game would look like even if you could somehow substantially reduce the risk of CTE. Apparently, there is helmet technology that could help, so maybe there's something there.

I heard Limbaugh going on about reduced attendance in the NFL -- I thought it was going to be about the national anthem protests, but it was about the pussyfication of the game and parents turning their kids off football etc. Trump just echoed the same thing, more or less.

I was talking to a guy at my kid's soccer game and he said at his son's school the best athletes quit soccer -- they still all want to play football. If you could go to a high school game around here, you sure wouldn't think there was any waning of popularity.

As much as I love college football, I don't like all the emphasis put on it, all the money involved etc., the cult of the athlete and the special treatment they get. But I watch it, go the games, buy the merchandise, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

With regard to CTE, If I had a son and he wanted to play football, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it...

Last edited by Myers; 09-24-2017 at 06:54 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
no I have no books...
I don't think anyone else here has any books either...

Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I can't contribute to your beer conversation Mo - just grabbing your attention. (although, if your hair is lacking lustre, rinse it with beer for exceptional bounce and shine.)

I was wondering - can you access stats for the Beat - hitcount per month, number of new registrations, mean number of active members etc...

Ideally, a presentation complete with graphs showing our performance over the last six months would be ideal....|I'd really like tangible evidence of how the Beat is faring, as we seem to be pulling up from a fairly cataclysmic nosedive....
I don't really have access to "data", other than being able to see IP addresses, etc.

There is the stuff like when people last accessed the site, etc, but others can look at that .

There is some random freakishness that occurs, It's been almost 10 months since the server crashed/put on another server and not all the old functionality had been returned.

Requests for putting this on a new format have been ignored. The alternative would be for someone to create a new forum on something like proboards (free) but I have a lot less free time so I probably won't spear head that.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-24-2017), Myers (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

Thanks for your reply Mo x
Old 09-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

-- I've never even had an IPA -- and there's very little chance I ever will.
IPA's taste like they burnt the hops. It must be an acquired taste that I'll never acquire.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

With regard to CTE, If I had a son and he wanted to play football, I'm not sure how I'd feel about it...
I'll go out on a limb and say that it would be a statistically small chance outside of NCAA Div I and NFL teams. Yeah, there are high school kids that get concussions, too, and it's good that people are finally diagnosing it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Myers (09-24-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

I heard Limbaugh going on about reduced attendance in the NFL -- I thought it was going to be about the national anthem protests, but it was about the pussyfication of the game and parents turning their kids off football etc. Trump just echoed the same thing, more or less.
I agree that Limbaugh is a blowhard, and tRUMP's blanket condemnation was as bad most typical blanket condemnations.

Beyond that, your analysis of the two is flawed.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

I don't know what the game would look like even if you could somehow substantially reduce the risk of CTE. Apparently, there is helmet technology that could help, so maybe there's something there.

I was talking to a guy at my kid's soccer game and he said at his son's school the best athletes quit soccer -- they still all want to play football. If you could go to a high school game around here, you sure wouldn't think there was any waning of popularity.

As much as I love college football, I don't like all the emphasis put on it, all the money involved etc., the cult of the athlete and the special treatment they get. But I watch it, go the games, buy the merchandise, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

Seems to me that the better the equipment gets, the harder it allows players to hit each other. My father-in-law played college ball back when they still had leather helmets. He said the hits were nowhere near as hard back then. You just couldn't without ringing your own bell.

At some point they might just have to say: listen, football is dangerous. If you choose to play you will have to sign this waiver. Not sure how it will change the industry. Like you said, people in your part of the country don't seem to be slowing down. I know quite a few parents who won't let their kids play the game. Although, there's been a big spike in MMA training around here, schools popping up everywhere, and I can't see how that's much different in the long run.

I could not care less about football or any other sport. But it's a big business supporting millions of other ancillary businesses and industries.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:40 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

IPA's taste like they burnt the hops. It must be an acquired taste that I'll never acquire.

Yeah, I mostly avoid IPA's too. Sometimes with really spicy or strong food they're alright.

There are some mellower ones these days, but they have to be fresh.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:46 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Beyond that, your analysis of the two is flawed.
What analysis?

You realize Trump made comments about hitting policy in the NFL?

I'm just telling you the gist of what they both said -- no commentary beyond that.

P.S. -- Maybe you're joking?

Last edited by Myers; 09-24-2017 at 05:33 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

(at which point the goblin had lost the plot again, asking "...by any chance is the future of this forum at risk because of american football...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-25-2017 at 01:01 AM..
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Seems to me that the better the equipment gets, the harder it allows players to hit each other. My father-in-law played college ball back when they still had leather helmets. He said the hits were nowhere near as hard back then. You just couldn't without ringing your own bell.

At some point they might just have to say: listen, football is dangerous. If you choose to play you will have to sign this waiver. Not sure how it will change the industry. Like you said, people in your part of the country don't seem to be slowing down. I know quite a few parents who won't let their kids play the game. Although, there's been a big spike in MMA training around here, schools popping up everywhere, and I can't see how that's much different in the long run.

I could not care less about football or any other sport. But it's a big business supporting millions of other ancillary businesses and industries.
To your father and laws point -- I would be interesting to see if there is an issue with CTE in rugby.

But yeah -- I read somewhere about this super helmet that would drastically reduce concussions -- it said it would cost thousands -- but given the costs down the road, maybe it would be worth it.

I do like sports. I'm not a rabid fan -- and would be open to any rules that make football safer. There are many aspects of the game that require lots of skill and strategy -- maybe that would be enough.

BTW -- I was a (mediocre) place kicker in high school -- CTE or not, that might tell you something about my aversion to having my brains beat out.

Last edited by Myers; 09-24-2017 at 02:50 PM..
Old 09-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
(at which point the goblin had lost the plot again, asking "...by any chance is the future of this forum and risk because of american football...")
There is no plot in this thread, Monsieur Flea -- that is precisely the point.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

To your father and laws point -- I would be interesting to see if there is an issue with CTE in rugby.

But yeah -- I read somewhere about this super helmet that would drastically reduce concussions -- it said it would cost thousands -- but given the costs down the road, maybe it would be worth it.

I do like sports. I'm not a rabid fan -- and would be open to any rules that make football safer. There are many aspects of the game that require lots of skill and strategy -- maybe that would be enough.

BTW -- I was a (mediocre) place kicker in high school -- CTE or not, that might tell you something about my aversion to having my brains beat out.

Just read two different articles on the subject of Rugby vs American football tackles. Seems they are very different and the pads are probably the single largest contributing factor. Maybe we should go back to leather helmets and less padding? Teach the Americans how to tackle like Rugby players, or Australian rules football players.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Yeah -- maybe that could work.

And I read something at some point that said maybe players should practice without the helmet and a full compliment of pads as a way to condition them to not hit so hard.

I kind of see the logic -- but I think that sounds more like trying to play both sides of the fence. I don't think that would work if you knew you'd be wearing the pads at the games.

I remember getting hit so hard by accident in one practice -- the only time I every got hit really bad -- and even though I lost my vision for a fraction of a second and I felt dizzy and nauseous, I got up and "shook it off." And I was praised for it.

Hopefully, there isn't as much of that now days -- but my guess is, there is still a lot of that attitude around.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:15 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,745

"...and now for the shameless bump of this thread then..." went the goblin in expectation, adding "...here a link of what Myers did, nice voice too..."

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4...TNuamdMMjRXRHM
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Myers (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Thanks, man. After years of trying to avoid singing, I'm just now learning how to do it -- learning what I can sing best and getting a handle on my limitations. I'd still rather have someone else do it -- but oh well.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

Thanks, man. After years of trying to avoid singing, I'm just now learning how to do it -- learning what I can sing best and getting a handle on my limitations. I'd still rather have someone else do it -- but oh well.

Tell your wife you'll stop having sex with her until she starts singing the songs you write.😆
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (10-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

I'm afraid she'll call my bluff.

See, she's got this device hidden in drawer -- she calls it "old faithful."

The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (10-04-2017)
Old 10-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

In Us Football, the only position where speed is pretty much unchanged from 20 years ago is offensive line spots.

Linebackers and defensive linemen are typically a lot faster than 20 years ago. If your linebackers do the most tackling, then there is a good chance that they are tackling at a higher velocity - which means more force transmitted.

The gear has improved, but the question is how much?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table