WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 359

I know what an insular community is.

But like I said, he went to college and was out in the working world before he became a cop.

Do you know something specific about what was going on in his mind when he pulled the trigger or if it could have possibly had anything to do where or how he was raised?

And if I'm not mistaken there are other Somali officers who have served without incident.

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything you can say to make that thing not stupid.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:37 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I'm all for public servants (lol) returning to dueling as a means to settle disputes. https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christ...&newsletterad=

Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-TX) looks like a basic bitch

and I bet the chick legislators would take him.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Juggalos and tRUMP supporters will converge in Sodom On The Potomac on September 16, 2017

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/christ...&newsletterad=

Old 08-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Dilbert explains Mass Hysteria Bubbles
http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1642976...ysteria-bubble

Old 08-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Stilton has a media commentary

Old 08-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

You really should be posting this shit on Facebook, not on a writing site.

I bet you'd get plenty of "likes."
Old 08-27-2017, 08:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
You really should be posting this shit on Facebook, not on a writing site.

I bet you'd get plenty of "likes."
Ah, now we (some collective we?) are at the point where things in IT should be relevant to "A WRITING SITE" ????

Would that mean that, as suggested by myself at various points along the way that things from IT could be grist for the mill, things incorporated into writing?

http://www.writersbeat.com/showpost....&postcount=131

Perhaps some biases could be shed, and one could look at a cartoon and a discussion about The Fifth Element, Ooops I meant Fourth Estate....

Old 08-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

It's more about the level of the content -- the Somali gag and the calling someone a "basic bitch' etc. etc.

What I mean -- it's what you'd expect to see on Facebook -- along with all the inane comments that follow -- as opposed to what you might expect to see on a writing site.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:47 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Meyer - perhaps I could give a warning on some posts

"Warning - some might think this is a Facebook level discussion and might not pertain to the lofty expectations of long lime posters of WRITER'S BEAT."

or "The Following Might Require Some Thought Prior To Responding"

As a member with access to the IT you are allowed to post things that you feel interesting, with or without your opinion or commentary to lead discussion in the way you want to go.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post

"Warning - some might think this is a Facebook level discussion and might not pertain to the lofty expectations of long lime posters of WRITER'S BEAT."
That should work just fine.

Good job!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Disclaimer: Some may view this post as sensationalism, "Facebook-ism" or another one of my examples of odd humor.

Or people could ask the question - How did they sink so far.

To avoid a dog and pony show, I'll dispense with the pictures of the candidates.

What does is say about a major metropolitan area, once considered "The Crown Jewel of the Midwest", when half of it's mayoral candidates have criminal records?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-felons.html

Old 09-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Once considered the flagship for 'Murrican Journalism, the much beleaguered New York TImes is now considering asking for charity (philanthropy) as part of it's business model to keep it afloat.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-yor...cts-1504298040

The New York Times NYT 1.07% is exploring another source of funding: philanthropy.
The newspaper said one of its top editors, Janet Elder, will be setting up an operation to seek nonprofit funding that can help support ambitious newsroom projects.
The Times, like all legacy news outlets, is battling steep declines in print advertising. And though it has enjoyed a surge in digital subscriptions and solid digital ad growth recently, the company said nonprofit funding can provide greater flexibility.

The Times is also considering a "graphic novel" weekly addition to attract millenials to print news. (ok, that's a fiction on my part )

Last edited by Mohican; 09-03-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 06:04 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 865
Default Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

I think it says that black people have taken over the area and are now going to run it like a thug-life show. There'll be hip hop, guns, drugs, and bitches a-plenty.

Hopefully we can get somma dem white bitches to hang out. 'Specially dem fat ones. 'Cause y'all know how black guys love fat white bitches.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

Hopefully we can get somma dem white bitches to hang out. 'Specially dem fat ones. 'Cause y'all know how black guys love fat white bitches.
That's what I would call a win/win!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 865

That's what I would call a win/win!

Maybe we should send some chicken and watermelon up there? Those folks love chicken and watermelon!

Sorry, Mo.

The dog and pony show is a must.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Sorry, Mo.
It's ok, Brian. I realize from the reactions that there is an reluctance and inadequacy to discuss the tough issues behind this post.

Such as: How do you work with a population with a literacy rate that hovers at 50%. (That means that half the population has a negligible ability to read, Brian)

Or school systems that sometimes have graduation rates below 25%(When looking at Students entering 9th grade, and what comes out the other end)

A very large geographical area (Something like New York City, LA, and one more large city could be dropped into Detroit) that has had the population drop from 2 million at it's peak to about 700,000 now.

To the best of my knowledge -- this has become a reality:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/07...shortfall.html

And I realize that the way I set this up made it hard to make any mental leap from "this is funny in a very mucked up way" to a serious discussion.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

This gem from Flea almost deserves it's own thread.

http://writersbeat.com/showpost.php?...postcount=5797

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
repost from elsewhere

"...well yes agreed, oz does seem a nice destination now, and either way britain seems to be falling apart even without that brexit there, simply whenever a government starts using foreign labour to undercut its own local labour costs, as seen by the NHS or by london's educational system, it ends up paying twice as much by first paying that cheap foreign labour and then by paying those others who are left unemployed by it too..." lamented the goblin whose mind was elsewhere more upon the growing instability in the US today, adding "...perhaps this social polarization is in part a realization that "the american age" as we have known it is fast changing to something else again, yes things grow ugly because those aspirations therein can no longer be met by the financial reserves that it has not got, simply its military for all its prowess cannot battle upon the homefront too, a homefront of lowering living standards for the vast majority of americans today coupled with that growing uncertainty therein...", in fact, looking at it now the goblin was somehow reminded of roseevelt's times again where the government was finally prompted into action with the likes of "the new deal", whereupon the goblin just sighed "...yes but back then the country was united as one, with one goal too, not today though, no today the very same country is just too polarized to act in any unison...", as a voice from the back of the goblin's mind just went "...a house divided upon itself cannot stand goblin..."

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

What does is say about a major metropolitan area, once considered "The Crown Jewel of the Midwest", when half of it's mayoral candidates have criminal records?
Two things --

1) If people are eligible to run by law, they will.

2) They all lost.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:17 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 865

It's ok, Brian. I realize from the reactions that there is an reluctance and inadequacy to discuss the tough issues behind this post.

Such as: How do you work with a population with a literacy rate that hovers at 50%. (That means that half the population has a negligible ability to read, Brian)

Or school systems that sometimes have graduation rates below 25%(When looking at Students entering 9th grade, and what comes out the other end)

A very large geographical area (Something like New York City, LA, and one more large city could be dropped into Detroit) that has had the population drop from 2 million at it's peak to about 700,000 now.

To the best of my knowledge -- this has become a reality:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/07...shortfall.html

And I realize that the way I set this up made it hard to make any mental leap from "this is funny in a very mucked up way" to a serious discussion.

Actually, it's a rebuke of your idea of 'tough questions'. I can't even bring myself to talk about your intentions seriously.

I see them as unnecessary baiting. More separatist bull sh*t.

Keep up the barrage of separatism and see where that leads.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:59 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 359

This gem from Flea almost deserves it's own thread.
I believe Flea is talking purely in terms labor and economics.

As opposed to you -- where it's mostly about an invasion of different "cultures" and religions.

Do you understand the difference?

Last edited by Myers; 09-04-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,821

("...I wrote this with you in mind Mohican..." smiled the goblin hoping it would please)

yes it was long before the goblin's time, yet one the things that those victorians did right was banning companies from issuing credits that could only be saved used and spent in the company store, meaning that one's wage was in effect money that stayed within the company, meaning again that one was in effect a serf by it, whereupon the goblin remarked "...where today too those very same governments, that did that morally right thing back then, are themselves slyly introducing a cashless society as in bank credits denoted in currencies, so what does that tell you about where we were once towards where we are are now...", in fact, the goblin had often heard that saying "the marriage of corporations to the state is fascism", yet fascism is the state calling the shots, whereas conversely the state married to multinationals is not fascism at all, no instead it was the modern day equivalent of that serfdom of old, though instead of being tied to the land one was tied to those non cashable bank credits, sighing "...alas the multinationals are not fractured by politics like most countries are today, plus they don't have the burden of the welfare of the citizen neither, plus they can survive without any one country in particular, in short we live in the "multinational age" age don't we..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-06-2017 at 03:28 PM..
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

I believe Flea is talking purely in terms labor and economics.

As opposed to you -- where it's mostly about an invasion of different "cultures" and religions.

Do you understand the difference?
Now given to predetermining intentions?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Actually, it's a rebuke of your idea of 'tough questions'. I can't even bring myself to talk about your intentions seriously.

Ok.

I see them as unnecessary baiting. More separatist bull sh*t.
You know so little, and assume so much

Keep up the barrage of separatism and see where that leads.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

("...I wrote this with you in mind Mohican..." smiled the goblin hoping it would please)

yes it was long before the goblin's time, yet one the things that those victorians did right was banning companies from issuing credits that could only be saved used and spent in the company store, meaning that one's wage was in effect money that stayed within the company, meaning again that one was in effect a serf by it, whereupon the goblin remarked "...where today too those very same governments, that did that morally right thing back then, are themselves slyly introducing a cashless society as in bank credits denoted in currencies, so what does that tell you about where we were once towards where we are are now...", in fact, the goblin had often heard that saying "the marriage of corporations to the state is fascism", yet fascism is the state calling the shots, whereas conversely the state married to multinationals is not fascism at all, no instead it was the modern day equivalent of that serfdom of old, though instead of being tied to the land one was tied to those non cashable bank credits, sighing "...alas the multinationals are not fractured by politics like most countries are today, plus they don't have the burden of the welfare of the citizen neither, plus they can survive without any one country in particular, in short we live in the "multinational age" age don't we..."

I have to concentrate to unpack this, flee!

One of the things that the Victorians did right was stop the practice of "Company Specie". I agree with that. It took a bit longer than the Victorian age for that to completely die off across the US.

I agree that is did create a slave or serf class. A person viewing that age with a jaundiced eye might wonder if the practice was stopped because of humanitarian reasons, or with the sixteenth amendment to the Constitution for These United States it would be too hard to apply a taxable value to wages?

To another point of yours, the marriage of corporations to the government could be called fascism, but if you view the time period that "Capitalism" became a notion, it too was industry and corporations getting theirs from the Federal Government.

It also ended because the relationship between labor and corporations did deteriorate into actual open warfare.

Post War Between The States/US Civil War large industries started up in the East and Midwest, and then the push for transcontinental railroads began. Railroad building was really tied into government largess, from Army Protection to the railroad workers to bonds, giving of right of ways and allotment of lands by the government to the railroads. That's when the age of Oligarchs, "robber barons" and the corporate connections to the government (largely Republican) began.

At the end you are trying to get toward globalism. Global trade can be mutually beneficial if trading partners are acting in good faith, and if it doesn't impoverish your own citizenry. Alas, that doesn't work out too often. As far as governance, global government is the worst sort. government is typically best closer to people.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:18 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,821

("...wait, does that mean that you actually read right to the end to the post there..." inquired the goblin amazed at Mohican's fortitude now, then adding "...agreed cross boarder trade in not a bad thing if the traders are tied to those countries they trade between, and if they are equals, yet that all falls apart when they are entities like multinationals not beholden to those countries at all, nor where they themselves hold more military/industrial clout than the countries they are trading with, then in that case I hope you'll agree that it's not free trade at all, in short the real difference between free trade and colonization is ever in the imbalance of military/industrial clout of the trading nations, where the multinationals today are nominally in the west, supported by that west too, yet they are not beholden to that west at all, and could just as easily slip eastwards if that was in their best interests to do so now...", and then suddenly that line an alliance between unequals is best avoided sprang to the goblin's mind so he just restarted "...free trade as practiced by unequals leads to that very colonization as brought about by those empires of old, me I'm simply for the dissolution of the multinationals today, and the right to hold currency in one's hand too, and of hand counted votes, will I ever get what I want, unlikely, but there's no harm in making my wishes known...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-09-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-04-2017, 03:40 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,821

("...shameless bump time..." went the goblin in need of Mohican's thread get into the mood to write this one, adding "...no, the real question is what will replace opec, when russia is buying iranian oil when it has plenty of its own oil, meaning that russia is acting a middleman perhaps between iran and those small countries that fear american retaliations, and where china is now clearly underwriting the non dollar payments of oil trade contracts between nigeria whose oil is too thin and venezuela, whose oil supply although massive is conversely too thick, so clearly one is seeing the emergence of some "non opec alignment" here, nameless perhaps yet being yet another elephant in a whole herd of elephants that are now stomping in the middle of the room of the state supported media....", in fact the goblin often likened the news to cheese then, relating "...state news" is rather like emmental with large holes, whereas "fake news" is more like stilton where only a little goes a long way...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-06-2017 at 02:38 AM..
Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Oil producing has been really fluid (bad pun) the last few years and I haven't kept up with who has been producing what in several years. The friends that I had in the business have either died or moved on so I don't have a view behind any curtains any more.

The US could produce a lot more, but a lot of the industry is content to refine crude into its myriad products. OPEC did glut the market a few years ago, which caused some problems with the US shale oil producers. Unlike the 1980s, the US small producers have to a degree stayed afloat. When the Saudis glutted the market in the 1980s most of the small producers went under, and small drillers with them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (10-09-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,821

("...what is happening upon the world scene today..." asked the goblin putting a cupped hand up to his ear)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

("...what is happening upon the world scene today..." asked the goblin putting a cupped hand up to his ear)
Which Scene?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table