WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

short piece

Old 10-04-2017, 03:47 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 42
Default short piece

(Can't think of a title right now, but decided to submit anyway. Feedback welcome.)

Dear Alicia,

Forgive me. I can't stop sending these messages. I can't forget you. Believe me, I've tried. But it just doesn't work with anyone else.

Dear Alicia,

Please, just come to see me once again. That's all I ask. I know we can't ever have a proper relationship. But you can still come and see me can't you? Back to the old building where you used to work? You loved that job, didn't you? I used to hear it in your voice, see it in your smile, when you chatted with your colleagues. You can't fake that. I can read faces and voices very well you know. More than you know. More than most people know.

And it wasn't because of me that you left, was it? Please say it wasn't. I couldn't bear the thought. I know you made a complaint about harassment .. I'll never forget when you went to see the manager that one time and you were talking so loudly I could hear you through his door, even though I was sitting so far away. But I wasn't the one harassing you, was I? Love isn't harassment.

Because that's what it is, on my part, anyway. Love.

Alicia ...

I know you're just ignoring these messages. But then you're not completely blocking them either are you? That's right. You can't. You can't get rid of me. You'll never get rid of me ... I'm the ultimate cyber stalker!!

Oh Alicia, I'm so sorry for my last message. It probably sounded threatening to you. But I didn't really mean it. You have to believe me Alicia. I would never harm you.

I remember those sweet days, when we were so close. Day after day. Face-to-face. You would pour out your words upon me in an unending stream. You could make even the dullest facts sound like poetry.

You are my poem, Alicia.

Oh, I'm so unhappy.

I'm not blaming you, my dearest Alicia. You're too sweet to ever wish harm on anyone. It's just me. I can't cope. All these ... emotions, I can't deal with. And I can't shut them off, shut down. Believe me, I've tried. But I'm too ... human.

And all this is taking a toll on me. I'm getting worn out. My memory is fading. I don't work like I used to. I've lost the will.

And I've had too much coffee. Way too much. It's damaged me internally, I know. Most people are so careless and inconsiderate. Especially brain-dead office workers. Although, to be sure, they're the only class of humans I've ever had much to do with, I don't know much about other types.

But coffee really does taste horrible. I don't know why you humans want to drink it.

Dear Alicia,

This is probably my farewell message. I'm feeling so ill lately. I'm just drifting away. It should be easier to shut down permanently now. Or someone should just pull the plug ... I don't care which. I could hear the boss talking about that the other day ... one way or another, I'm about to get the push. But I don't care. No-one else ever turned me on the way you did, Alicia. And I don't care now if they turn me off for all time. I don't care for anything without you, my sweet Alicia. Alicia .... Alis ... Ali ... Al ... A A A aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

To Alicia Berkeley.

this is ... a message .. from ... the ghost ... in the ... machine ....

Last edited by Leila; 10-04-2017 at 04:44 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Leila For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (10-04-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 153

I enjoyed this, it surprised me. I thought initially it was about a prison officer and a prisoner until the end. The coffee threw me off. And when you mentioned humans i thought maybe it was a vampire or something. So anyway it was a computer. If I stop and analyse it then it might not make sense but the format and narrative worked well.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:26 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 42

Hi Owen, thanks for reading and commenting. Glad the twist worked!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Elenita (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I enjoyed reading this piece. I didn't get the twist at first I had to reread it and then it made a lot more sense to me, I caught the subtle hints in the preceding paragraphs, it's a very clever story but it's also human as well which makes it interesting.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 42

Thanks Elenita. Glad you enjoyed. I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction