WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

What is your favorite book ending?

Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 PM
taeily23 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default What is your favorite book ending?

I'm revising the conclusion of my series. However, after a re-reading, it feel a little flat / too obvious. I tried raising the stakes for my characters and adding twists but something still feel like it's missing.

I was wondering if anyone here had any books that the ending really stuck with them and why it's their favorite. Hoping to get some ideas that aren't from my own library.

Any help would be great! Also would love to get some new reads in the process

-----

Read about my adventures on: askwonderlust.com.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:27 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 841

For Whom the Bell Tolls.

“Lieutenant Berrendo, watching the trail, came riding up, his thin face serious and grave. His submachine gun lay across his saddle in the crook of his left arm. Robert Jordan lay behind the tree, holding onto himself very carefully and delicately to keep his hands steady. He was waiting until the officer reached the sunlit place where the first trees of the pine forest joined the green slope of the meadow. He could feel his heart beating against the pine needle floor of the forest.”

Excerpt From: Hemingway, Ernest. “For Whom the Bell Tolls.” Scribner. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itun.es/us/-ytVw.l
Old 07-23-2017, 04:15 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

One of the best for me is the end of The Girl Who Kicked a Hornet's Nest- Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander have been through so much individually and together, but Mikael realizes they don't really know each other as ordinary people. At the end he goes to her home with some food and introduces himself- to allow them to start as regular people.

The end of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe- After becoming kings and queens and aging to adulthood in Narnia the children return home and to their normal age. The professor tells them (and the reader) they will probably return. As a kid this also sets up the notion that such an adventure could happen to you.

1984- I kept waiting for The Brotherhood (resistance) to arrive and free Winston, but the never do. At the end of the book when he sit in the café watching the monitor-
"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

Most depressing and hopeless ending ever. My least favourite, but it's memorable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues