WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Writer's Block? Or "Can't be arsed"?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 AM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Whatever works for you, Joe. It's obviously not holding your writing back. When will it feel right do you think? When you are published?

I might never be published. So I'd hate to wait till then to say I'm a writer.

No, I'm just reacting to that kind of modesty, humility or whatever, out of my own background. It reminded me of what I just described, from other contexts, and it is not helpful - for me. One context was exaggerated modesty for the purposes of not thinking of yourself more highly than you ought, in a church setting. I am not in that setting now, and though I'm not bitter, there are some things that were unhelpful, including that mindset. Mind you, going the other way, into shameless arrogance, or unrealistic delusion could be more dangerous - have seen that in a church setting too. Again - that's behind me these days.

In yet another context - it took me years to call myself an architect, even after training for six years at university and working in the industry. Now after life's path evolved, I've given the profession away. But I do know the feeling of not calling yourself the name for your occupation - even when its on your business card. For me, there was this sense of not yet encompassing all that that label meant. But to others, that was not relevant.

Just thinking, that's all.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

When will it feel right do you think? When you are published?
Maybe -- I have no idea. Could be because of what I do, and the title I have, I associate a title or label with having experience and a paycheck -- so it's a credibility thing.

I'm a graphic designer and a creative director. Never had a problem with calling myself "graphic designer" -- you get the degree, do some work, and that's what you are. I did find that I hesitated to call myself "creative director." Still do sometimes. It's definitely something you earn -- I think. But some people get right out of school and start calling themselves that -- so sometimes I don't say it unless I have the chance to put it in context of what I do and where I work. Not that most people even know or care -- I just don't want to be associated with the people who just bestow themselves with the title, who don't really direct a team of creative folks -- they just like the way it sounds.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 10-07-2011 at 05:23 AM..
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 AM
CandraH

I just don't want to be associated with the people who just bestow themselves with the title
This is what sticks with me too, for lots of things not just writing or the context you used it, Joe.

I don't like calling myself a writer, though I do write and have had a couple of small wins with it. I guess for me the reason for that is because I've only been writing for a few years so don't consider myself experienced enough or paid enough to call myself by the "writer" label.

I also don't really like calling myself an artist either, even though I've been doing that since I was a kid and have sold my work on and off for the last ten years. I've plenty of experience there and a few pounds in the bank to say I'm good enough for others to pay me for my work, but I guess I just don't like the "artist" label because it can be abused by people wanting to appear more than they are (same with writing and other creative endeavours like architecture or design etc).

It's not about trying to be ever so humble while feeling superior underneath, or about the church thing Fihr mentioned which kind of went over my head because I'm not religious so have never been in that kind of environment. It's about not wanting to claim to be more than I am. I'm just someone who writes and paints and sometimes gets paid.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
Heh. Well, that's not the case for me. As Candra said, it's just a name -- and writer's block is as good as any. I don't even call myself a writer -- that's up to others to decide.
You're a writer Joe, I've decided, and if you refuse Im going to computer slap you all the way to the land without pencils - I need something to work toward. And Candra, if you don't want to be considered an artist, quit drawing so good! Send some of that talent my way, pleaaaase.

I notice I haven't actually adressed the question - I have question block, no not really. I'm just in a funny mood. I think writers block is real though that the semantics differ for everyone, and considering there are soooo many individuals here, we could really get confuddled. Luckily I've never had writers block - I haven't been writing long enough - but I might pretend I do and write a story about it later. Yay.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:22 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

But some people get right out of school and start calling themselves that -- so sometimes I don't say it unless I have the chance to put it in context of what I do and where I work.
- JoeMatt

It's about not wanting to claim to be more than I am. I'm just someone who writes and paints and sometimes gets paid.
- CandraH

Well I'm glad its not about humility (or religious baggage) for either of you because you both write differently and well. And Joe, I know what you mean about people straight out of school - we had the same thing with architecture, though professionally you had to earn the term to use 'architect' in an official sense. People who could draft would think they could design a building. Though to confuse things further, there were those who knew how to build who could design better than some architects - and then it depended on the criteria you used to judge such things - function, art or both?

That is why I'm not going into that kind of debate as a writer. I'd rather keep it simple. I don't call myself an author. Nor a journalist. But I write so I am now a writer. (I am even a member of a writer's association - to meet other writers and learn stuff.) Probably a crap one, and definitely have a lot to learn, even basic grammar, which is sad. For me, the term isn't that elevated and is terribly general. (It's 'writer', not 'Writer'.) There are so many kinds of writers that the term tells you nothing except about the action they perform. I guess its just personal preference. I'd have no hesitation then saying that I've got 'writer's block' if I had it.
The Following User Says Thank You to fihr For This Useful Post:
Loz (10-08-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:47 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by fihr View Post
Well I'm glad its not about humility (or religious baggage) for either of you because you both write differently and well. And Joe, I know what you mean about people straight out of school - we had the same thing with architecture, though professionally you had to earn the term to use 'architect' in an official sense.
Yeah -- I can see that. I'm pretty familiar with whole culture and mindset of architects. My first job out of school was with what I'd call a pretty high-end design firm, and we partnered with architectural firms to design signage for their projects. This was nice stuff -- with some of the largest and most prestigious firms in town. I was the only designer who had studied environmental design -- which is mostly signage -- so I was familiar with it all, and the materials and fabricating processes. So I ended up working on most of those projects.

They were all kind of elitist, and I always had the feeling they thought I wasn't a real designer. But most of them had an amazing work ethic -- worked like dogs, and at the lower levels, for very little money. And most of the people I worked with were perfectionists --obsessed with quality and esthetics and functionality. It's really an industry where you have to pay your dues -- and overall it was a good experience.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 10-07-2011 at 02:53 PM..
Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Glad it was a good experience for you Joe. Your comments re the elitism, work hours, pay and perfectionism ring true. (I've experienced the elitism in other industries that I've been exposed to as well.) I'm familiar with those who regard other design professionals as lesser and architecture as the greatest of the arts. Then there are others who don't see it as an art at all. My architectural background influences my approach to writing and learning about writing in many ways. But the elitism is something I've rejected. In my industry, elitism was harsh and judgemental.

Some of the greatest architects locally were not elitist in their approach to learners, though they had every right to be. (Glen Murcutt was a good example.) They were encouraging and helpful, and contributed greatly to the development of quality in the industry. Others were extremely elitist, arrogant, and had a tendency to crush learners. I could list a page of good reasons for them to do that, and discourage the mediocre or those without a strong passion from persisting in the profession. But that approach did not foster the development of creativity. It created giant internal self criticism and doubt, and destroyed creativity before it had the chance to grow, much of the time.

So while I don't see you as being elitist in your use of the term 'writer' because your history is not mine, I am utterly rejecting that connotation which it would have for me if I used it so judiciously. Including myself in the term writer is a conscious choice, to enhance my own development. Life is too short to do any less, and I am probably in the second half of mine.

You are an interesting person to discuss things with.

Last edited by fihr; 10-07-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

Writer's Block!

"Move! Out of the way, I say! Let it taste my blade..."
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,823

(and then just when one thought things couldn't get much worse, the goblin showed, saying "...actually I guess these things are like seeing ghosts, that is, believed by those that see them then...", where one could deliberate hours and still those that saw ghosts would know what they saw, while those that didn't see them wouldn't believe a word of it, so instead the goblin simply suggested that we ask god now, because god seemed a pretty knowledgeable fellow and could well be suffering writer's block too, saying "...yes, we just have to have some divine arbitration to settle things here, that's all, so see how I care for you each time...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-08-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Old 10-08-2011, 11:01 AM
CandraH

Divine creator's block.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:27 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

That's a good prompt for a story, Candra.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:28 PM
CandraH

So it is. Damn, why didn't I notice that?
Old 06-10-2017, 10:53 AM
sirartemcamelot (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

We created a website with tons of freewriting prompts writelight(dot)guru

It's not made for writers, but for people, who write to reflect on their life, goals, or tasks (journaling, expressive writing, etc.). Still, we have some feedback from writers, who use it to tackle writers block.

So maybe this can be helpful for writers' community here.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues