WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohican’s Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Humor alert. not a political posting

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (04-29-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 PM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

This is probably satire, but it might have happened....

https://www.duffelblog.com/2018/04/j...e-world-peace/

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Again, probably satire...or fake news...

maybe not?

http://babylonbee.com/news/zuckerber...ng-lizard-eye/

Old 04-29-2018, 06:43 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717
Default This seems less and less like Satire, and a commentary on "Single Payer"

http://babylonbee.com/news/prime-min...heir-children/

Old 04-29-2018, 11:15 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

http://babylonbee.com/news/nation-re...-minaj-single/
Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Apparently Christian America doesn’t like Nicki’s pussy. I’m sure Christ will save them from the brown peach.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

It seems that more than one Federal Prosecutor involved in the tRUMP-Roosha Collision investigation has a history of being a bad actor...

https://howiecarrshow.com/2018/03/22/2322/

in related news, Lisa Page resigned from the FBI.

Old 05-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

brianpatrick wrote:

Apparently Christian America doesn’t like Nicki’s pussy. I’m sure Christ will save them from the brown peach.

Nicki who? Is she one of the contestants on the new American Idol?

Old 05-05-2018, 07:27 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

brianpatrick wrote:

Old 05-05-2018, 07:40 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Deep down in my own personal echo chamber that is Mohican's Miscellaneous Meanderings I really do like sharing things with the group.

In a stellar example of the culture going wrong, the Boy Scouts will stop being the Boy Scouts.

As this happens, I see them becoming irrelevant and membership dropping further.

As the 'Bee points out (satire, not a real news site) there is no satisfying people. http://babylonbee.com/news/bigoted-b...other-genders/

Old 05-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

From Thomas Sowell:
Thomas Sowell (@ThomasSowell): "Our children and grandchildren may yet curse the day we began hyping race and ethnicity. There are countries where that has led to slaughters in the streets but you cannot name a country where it has led to greater harmony.
"

Old 05-05-2018, 03:48 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Nicki who? Is she one of the contestants on the new American Idol?

She could probably buy the American can idol franchise and silence it by stuffing it up her...

https://youtu.be/zXtsGAkyeIo
Old 05-06-2018, 11:45 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Originally Posted by brianpatrick;744627

[URL
https://youtu.be/zXtsGAkyeIo[/URL]
I wander if that's what the BLM played outside the Bundy compound when they got tired of recorded rabbit squeals?

Old 05-06-2018, 11:46 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Perhaps because you’re not the customer any more. You’re simply a “resource” to be managed for profit." Claire Wolfe -Little Brother is Watching You: The Menace of Corporate America

Old 05-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

I imagine that Chaput has read Chesterton

Old 06-01-2018, 06:35 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

Tolerance is the virtue of that not insecure man, firm in his beliefs, who can bear to hear someone say they disagree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

In order to continue to hold illogical or ludicrous beliefs, ideas which on their face are crippled, stilted, and obviously (to any rational human) false, one must have “convictions”.

Without them, the whole house of cards falls and the wind scatters them.

And scattered cards can’t maintain the safety of a simplistic system designed to assuage the normal human fears of the unknown.

They also can’t fill a collection plate.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

I wouldn't say that all ludicrous or illogical beliefs are bad though. I long ago reached the conclusion that justice was illogical. Still it has my full faith and its one of the things I like to think I would hold to the death. But I get your point. The axioms we take at the end of the day cannot be validated. We have to bring them to fruition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bluewpc; 06-01-2018 at 07:27 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by bluewpc View Post
I wouldn't say that all ludicrous or illogical beliefs are bad though. I long ago reached the conclusion that justice was illogical. Still it has my full faith and its one of the things I like to think I would hold alamort.

Fair enough. But “justice” can and will evolve to become (potentially) something that no longer even approximates its current form. It’s most basic tenants will likely (in 5000 years) bury current standards (for good or ill, who knows).

The basic tenants of Catholicism (for instance) cannot be destroyed without destroying the organism itself. They can liberalize, or modernize, but the core will either remain or kill the idea totally.

If someone found definitive proof that Christianity was a complete lie, there was no real Jesus, and the myth was just that, a myth. I mean, real scientific proof. Then the whole idea would disappear in a matter of decades.

I don’t think “justice” could suffer the same fate.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:46 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

Fortunately the concept of justice predates Catholicism

In fact I think its most basic conception goes as far back as our animal state. So until we get rid of that, and that is a possibility, I think the instinct of justice will remain.

I dont think though that if Jesus were found out to be conclusively unreal it would make much difference. The potential depth of self-delusion is exceeded only by mass delusion. I think people would either ignore the evidence or simply not comprehend by necessity.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Maybe you’re thinking in centuries, and not millennia. How many worshipers of Dionysius do you know today?
Old 06-01-2018, 08:23 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Christianity is only 2000+ years old. In another 3000 years only a handful of wiggers will remember it (figuratively, of course).

People will dig up artifacts and say: “what a bunch of silly monkeys they were.”
Old 06-01-2018, 08:41 PM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

You know you might be right but I feel, even as much as a spiritual humanist as I am, that you cant replace the supramundane with the nontranscendant. Part of the problem is our axioms. On what do they rest. For the religious they reposit morality in a god but with science there is always the possibility that everything will be upended at any moment, that what is true in the morning might not be true at twilight and thats because science rips the bottom out. So far as we know the universe has a beginning but thats only the beginning of this universe there are things anterior to it which at least at this stage are unknowable and things stretch to infinity by virtue of the laws of nature.

The problem so far as I understand it, and that might not be of any real understanding, is infinity. As I said above things stretch back forward and backward and we only bracket epochs somewhat arbitrarily. And I realize how strange it is to say that the beginning of the universe is an arbitrary starting point but if we remove ourselves from the idea that there is but a single universe then we have to look at it as a common phenomena among others.

My own thoughts on it are not terribly fleshed out but I think the best I can put it is I believe in the instability of nothingness. Which is of course a paradox because nothing cant be unstable, nothing cant have wax and waning tides of existence. I think the obvious case here is that our definition of nothingness if insufficient to reality and it might be that our brains at this stage in evolution arent capable of comprehending it.

The point of all that is that the thinkers antiquity solved the problem, perhaps by throwing up their hands, by saying there is the uncreated creator, the first cause, unmoved mover or something to that effect and until science can grapple with that mystery there will always be that bastion of faith which will strive with reason and not always be wrong.

Last edited by bluewpc; 06-01-2018 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: A shit ton of ares thats should be our and a their that aught be there
Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

You know you might be right but I feel, even as much as a spiritual humanist as I am, that you cant replace the supramundane with the nontranscendant. Part of the problem is our axioms. On what do they rest. For the religious they reposit morality in a god but with science there is always the possibility that everything will be upended at any moment, that what is true in the morning might not be true at twilight and thats because science rips the bottom out. So far as we know the universe has a beginning but thats only the beginning of this universe there are things anterior to it which at least at this stage are unknowable and things stretch to infinity by virtue of the laws of nature.

The problem so far as I understand it, and that might not be of any real understanding, is infinity. As I said above things stretch back forward and backward and we only bracket epochs somewhat arbitrarily. And I realize how strange it is to say that the beginning of the universe is an arbitrary starting point but if we remove ourselves from the idea that there is but a single universe then we have to look at it as a common phenomena among others.

My own thoughts on it are not terribly fleshed out but I think the best I can put it is I believe in the instability of nothingness. Which is of course a paradox because nothing cant be unstable, nothing cant have wax and waning tides of existence. I think the obvious case here is that our definition of nothingness if insufficient to reality and it might be that our brains at this stage in evolution arent capable of comprehending it.

The point of all that is that the thinkers antiquity solved the problem, perhaps by throwing up their hands, by saying there is the uncreated creator, the first cause, unmoved mover or something to that effect and until science can grapple with that mystery there will always be that bastion of faith which will strive with reason and not always be wrong.

I DO think science will figure it out eventually. I also think there will probably be a coronal mass ejection (or something else) somewhere down that road and it will be wiped from the face of the earth for a time, as it probably was in the past. Then the “Christians” will come back with some hocus-pocus and “save” the few left for some couple thousand years or so. They probably won’t be Christian, but some other brand of safety in numbers, or us-vs-them.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 AM
bluewpc (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 46

To tell you the truth theres part of me that hopes not. I like not knowing. Theres this line from Watchmen spoken by Dr. Manhattan who achieves godlike abilities and at one point he says:

I'd almost forgotten the excitement of not knowing, the delights of uncertainty.

On the other hand some might argue, reasonably too, that that's cowardice, if you could know everything then why would you quake at it?

Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

To tell you the truth theres part of me that hopes not. I like not knowing. Theres this line from Watchmen spoken by Dr. Manhattan who achieves godlike abilities and at one point he says:

I'd almost forgotten the excitement of not knowing, the delights of uncertainty.

On the other hand some might argue, reasonably too, that that's cowardice, if you could know everything then why would you quake at it?

Don’t worry bro; you won’t live to see it. More than likely you will die in 50-60 years, if you don’t chuckle-head your way to an early death (not an entirely unlikely scenario given your proclivities). Barron Trump will just be finishing his second term as POTUS, and I’m sure we as a civilization won’t have made huge intellectual or spiritual progress by then.

I’m thinking we have another 3-5000 years before anything “good” happens.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:32 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...americans are mostly agitated..." observed the goblin aware that the country was slowly spinning out of control, adding "...it's not the president, it's the compounded yet in all in its manifestations that is eating away at the structure, how this is just how empires end I guess, so the only question is whether it will be bloodless then...", where the goblin was more worried about the military then the government, sighing "...hope I'm wrong though...")
Old 06-03-2018, 05:10 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Tolerance is the virtue of that not insecure man, firm in his beliefs, who can bear to hear someone say they disagree.

Tolerance or no tolerance can take on many forms. One can be totally secure in oneself and not tolerate something.

Often, tolerating something, because a person doesn't want societal backlash is a form of insecurity.

I would gainsay that Archbishop Chaput is very secure in his beliefs, and he openly states that tolerance is not a Christian virtue.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:18 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

brianpatrick said: Don’t worry bro; you won’t live to see it. More than likely you will die in 50-60 years, if you don’t chuckle-head your way to an early death (not an entirely unlikely scenario given your proclivities). Barron Trump will just be finishing his second term as POTUS, and I’m sure we as a civilization won’t have made huge intellectual or spiritual progress by then.

I’m thinking we have another 3-5000 years before anything “good” happens.

Barron Trump finishing his second term as POTUS would suppose several things, such as the US still being around, or still being a representative republic with elections, Barron Trump making it to that age, etc, etc, etc.

We will see further technological advances in 50 years. Does that count as intellectual growth? If you base it on philosophy, then true advances would be amazing.

And of course the two of us will disagree with spiritual advances, but I would be highly encouraged by 50 years of spiritual advances.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:24 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...americans are mostly agitated..." observed the goblin aware that the country was slowly spinning out of control, adding "...it's not the president, it's the compounded yet in all in its manifestations that is eating away at the structure, how this is just how empires end I guess, so the only question is whether it will be bloodless then...", where the goblin was more worried about the military then the government, sighing "...hope I'm wrong though...")

More and more of the "common folk" are realizing the folly of chasing monsters abroad. If you could get a majority of people to realize this, and elect candidates of this mindset then at least in theory you could let the pendulum swing back from Empire to Nation. The pendulum swinging further from nation to Union would be my preferred course, especially if it could happen non violently.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table