WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

My Favorite Vice President

Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685
Default My Favorite Vice President

My Favorite Vice President

The Vice Presidency of the United States is often viewed, and often rightly so, as a useless position. Recent Vice Presidents have run the gamut from competent (George Bush I) to goofy (Al Gore) to scary (Dick Darth Vader Cheney) and back to goofy. (Joe Biden)

At certain junctures in history, Vice Presidents have been elevated to the presidency, by succession or election and resignation. Some have been capable – Truman and Bush I. Some were loathsome scoundrels – L. Baines Johnson. And one was a steaming pile of nothing - Gerald Ford.

I have a lot of admiration for both Harry S. Truman and George Bush (I). But neither is my favorite VP. Neither did awesome things as VP.

So who does that leave, Millard Fillmore’s Vice President?

How about the third Vice President of the United States?: Aaron Burr.

Soldier – Attorney –Attorney General –Vice President – Duelist-Adventurer – Land Speculator

Aaron Burr and Thomas Jefferson, in one of those quirky elections, tied for electoral votes. In the early republic the Vice President did not run on the same ticket as the President, but was the electoral runner up. Alexander Hamilton had a major role in getting enough electors to choose Thomas Jefferson. If not for Hamilton, young’uns might learn about President Burr, but that wasn’t to be.

Some might argue that Alexander Hamilton’s treatment of Burr was a result of their former law partnership. I would counter that with the fact that Alexander Hamilton was a shitskin.

Burr and Jefferson were not peas and carrots, but Jefferson thought Burr was honest and competent, and complemented Burr on his presiding over the first Senate Impeachment trial, of Justice Samuel Chase. On the flip side, Jefferson “intimated” that Burr was not altruistic, a charge that was born out in the days after Burr’s Vice Presidency.

In the modern era, Burr is most famous for his duel with Alexander Hamilton. As I alluded to earlier, Hamilton was sleezy, and Burr did the nation a favor. Hamilton insulted Burr on a steady basis, often hiding behind a nom de guerre as a pamphleteer. At some point Burr had had enough, and challenged Hamilton to the famous duel at Weehawken. Hamilton missed with his shot. Often, an opposing duelist would fire into the ground when his opponent missed. Not Burr. He then took a careful aim at Hamilton, and 10 ringed him in the chest area.

After dispatching the slanderous Hamilton, Burr found his political career to be over. He then tried a variety of ventures, some of which included trying to start his own country.

In his later years I could add scoundrel to his titles and adjectives – but he was a man’s man, a man of action, and could handle a dueling pistol. What more could you want from a Vice President?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 07-10-2014 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
ki11j0y (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 35
Send a message via MSN to ki11j0y Send a message via Yahoo to ki11j0y

I'm envious of your knowledge about US presidents (and vice presidents). I'm curious about this vice president now. I shall make myself acquainted with V.P. Burr.
Mohican (07-10-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Interesting read, good teaching piece with some opinion. I like how you started with current history to hook those who might not be as interested in history. Your sum up of more recent VP's spot on. I love learning about our history, closing line smile and chuckle. Good one Mohican.

The now rather famous debate with our VP Biden just blew me away. I will not take him seriously again. I will forever see him and his goofy laughing, how juvenile, really? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was high . . . ha!
Mohican (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:49 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Don't get me started on our current VP. I'd call him a stroke addled muppet, but that would be an insult to stroke addled muppets.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:44 PM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

good one

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing