WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Ideas for good creative writing activities.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden
Default Ideas for good creative writing activities.

Well, today I offered to start a Creative Writing club at my school. They do it every year, and it's always the Year 12s (my year) that run it. The problem is, I can't come up with enough activity ideas to last until July (I don't think) so I was wondering if any of you had any ideas. The group in question will be for Year 7s and 8s (About 11-13 years old) with interest in creative writing, and yes, I'll be bringing sweets, chocolate and biscuits (good old tesco value). Oh, and our school's an all-girl school. I also wondered what you thought of my ideas so far and what I should do to make them better. I have two very helpful friends running it with me too.
- Introduce yourself (easy one for first day)
- Character hot seating. Did this at drama.
- They write the beginning of a story on a piece of paper, fold it over, and give to the person next to you to write the middle, and they fold it over, give it to someone else, and they write the end.
-The say three words of the story then the next person continues it for three words game.
- Create a new world together.

That's all I've come up with, and they're all pretty bad ideas, so any others would be great, and as you're all amazing writers I thought you might have some good ones.
Thank you!
Dela Eden

The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dela Eden; 09-22-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Jack (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 29

Quick point, I have found sugar, as in candy, kills the creative process.

Now for ideas.
1. Bring the front section of your local paper. Have each student pick one headline and write a 600 word story using that headline as a subject.
2. Create a basic mystery plot four to six lines in length. Have each write a short story using your plot. Next day same method with a different genre.
3. Select a well known work of fiction. Have your students rewrite the ending.
4. Select a historic event, the Hindenburg, Titanic, Alamo, etc. Have your students create a fictional piece using the first person view point.

Good Luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:
Dela Eden (09-20-2012), Verkisto (05-19-2013)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Ooh, very good! I think I might steal number 3 for next Thursday. I'm doing the Balloon debate then too, you know, the one where you have to decide who should fall to their death to save everyone else.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Sounds fun! Few ideas . . .

1. You take in a selection of pictures. Each person has a picture. That picture is the cover of their lastest novel. They must then write the summary/ description that they had previously given to the art designer.

2. Take the first line from your favourite novels. Give them out and ask people to write for ten minutes following from that line.

3. Ask them to think of a place they like and then describe it in as much sensory description as possible. They must not say where it is or what time of day. It is up to the others to guess.

4. Hand out a folded peice of paper with a hidden situation (i.e. person tries to steal an elephant from the zoo, gets stuck in an elevator). Each particpant must include the person sat next to them in their story.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loz For This Useful Post:
Dela Eden (09-20-2012), Verkisto (05-19-2013)
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Your ideas are all so much better than mine. I especially love numbers 1 and 2 - they deal with getting ideas and starting a story, two of the most difficult things.
You know you want to -
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 PM
contentwritings (Offline)
New Author

Creative Writing Activities

These creative writing activities provide rest from your everyday writing routine. Try one or use them all. Rely on them when you really need a rest out of your regular work or when you are between projects.

Poetry Walk
Writing Exercises
Character Journal
Re-imagine the Classics
Photo Prompts
Sell Yourself
What-if List
Name Game
Tool Time
Idea Box
Observation Station
Vocabulary Building
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to contentwritings For This Useful Post:
Dela Eden (09-22-2012), Verkisto (05-19-2013)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Ooh, how do you do them?
You know you want to -

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe