WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Trump's America by Newt Gingrich

Old 06-17-2018, 01:24 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 182
Default Trump's America by Newt Gingrich

Newt Gingrich writes about America's great comeback under President Donald Trump. The comeback of "one nation" rejects "multiculturalism" and reasserts the idea of America as a melting pot. We are held together by our unifying beliefs in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. The idea of American exceptionalism is resurfacing. It is imperative that American culture survives. Newt says illegal immigration must stop to allow assimilation. I would call what has happened a Third World invasion.

The comeback of "under God" is about reestablishing America as a faith-based nation that protects religious freedom. Newt believes our rights come from God, not from the government, and that fact keeps us free. Freedom to worship or not worship as we see fit is paramount.

The comeback of "sovereignty" ends the "new world order" embraced by Bush 41. The so-called new world order allowed other countries to take advantage of the United States. Clinton, Bush 43 & Obama failed to defend American interests. There have been endless wars with Islamic extremists. Trade deficits have built up and as a result, President Donald Trump has touted an America First policy. "Make America Great Again" is his slogan. Drain the swamp called Washington, D.C. President Trump promised every decision ha made would benefit American workers and American families. He vowed that America would win again. It took Trump only 3 days to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership. He withdrew from the Paris Agreement, based on climate change, knowing it would destroy the coal industry. He also recognized that the North American Trade Agreement (NAFTA) benefited Mexico more than it did the United States. President Trump went on to decertify Obama's "Iran deal." Rather than keeping Iran from building nuclear weapons, it it has allowed them to do do. Trump promptly moved Israel's U.S. embassy to Jerusalem and declared it the capital. He plans to reduce funding to the United Nations. Finally, he is standing up to China for its unfair trade practices.

The comeback of "free speech" is a rejection of what Donald Trump labeled political correctness. Trump says what he thinks and what a lot of others think but are afraid to speak. He uses twitter as a means of communicating directly with his 50 million followers. He blasts the mainstream media for its fake news and insists that "sanctuary cities" must cooperate with federal law enforcement. President Trump has been blunt about Islamic terrorism while his predecessors sidestepped the issue. Trump has insisted on the facts regardless of whom they might offend. Newt compares him to Andrew Jackson.

The comeback of the "American economy" involves cutting red tape. Regulations are expensive and tend to overreach. Deregulation gives the economy a boost. Environmental regulations are hard to dismantle, but the Trump administration is making progress. These rules target the energy sector. The tax cuts of 2017 have allowed the economy to boom. There are more jobs and higher wages.

The comeback of the "constitutional judiciary" has had its greatest triumph in President Trump's appointment of conservative Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. There were over 100 judicial vacancies when Trump took office. By 2018, the Senate had confirmed 23 federal judges, and these appointments are for life. Trump appoints only judges who will uphold the Constitution. White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee commented that this is a president who understands a judge's role is not to create or change laws.

The comeback of American "health care" concerns itself with opioid addiction. Americans are dying from opioid overdoses. Drugs have been a social problem since the mid-1960s. The hated Obamacare is being dismantled piece by piece.

Newt Gingrich sees Donald Trump as achieving more in his first year-and-a-half than all the presidents since Ronald Reagan combined. I voted for Reagan but felt he left me behind after the summer of 1982. Newt says there is no room for compromise. Trump's America must win. I am with Trump!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:03 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Pretty good. Is this a book report?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

What we need are more Trumpy Bears and razor wire.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
What we need are more Trumpy Bears and razor wire.

And this guy:

I just ordered my wife one of these dolls. Too bad they canít double as vibrators.... hmm... or can they?
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 182

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Pretty good. Is this a book report?
Not a book report. I am 72 and out of school. I voted for Trump and as soon as I learned Newt had written another book about him, I ordered it from Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 182

U.S. PRESIDENTS - best to worst

..1 George Washington
..2 Andrew Jackson
..3 James K. Polk
..4 Donald Trump
..5 Theodore Roosevelt
..6 James Madison
..7 James Monroe
..8 Thomas Jefferson
..9 Calvin Coolidge
10 Grover Cleveland
11 William McKinley
12 Chester Arthur
13 Rutherford B. Hayes
14 Ronald Reagan
15 Dwight Eisenhower
16 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
17 John Adams
18 Harry Truman
19 Zachary Taylor
20 Warren G. Harding
21 James Garfield
22 Woodrow Wilson
23 Benjamin Harrison
24 John Quincy Adams
25 Martin Van Buren
26 Herbert Hoover
27 William Howard Taft
28 John Kennedy
29 Andrew Johnson
30 Franklin Pierce
31 John Tyler
32 James Buchanan
33 Gerald Ford
34 Millard Fillmore
35 William Henry Harrison
36 George H. W. Bush
37 George W. Bush
38 Bill Clinton
39 Jimmy Carter
40 Richard Nixon
41 Ulysses S. Grant
42 Lyndon Johnson
43 Barack Obama
44 Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 PM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 182

Trump is number 45, but that is because Grover Cleveland is counted twice.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:26 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
Not a book report. I am 72 and out of school. I voted for Trump and as soon as I learned Newt had written another book about him, I ordered it from Amazon.

Is it just THAT simple?

Well then Jim, you are a refreshing human to make contact with. Not many like you actually around. At least, not many posting on these interwebs.

When I come to Nashville again we should have coffee. Iíll bring my sister; maybe you know her already. Dunno.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 06-19-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Old 06-19-2018, 02:34 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
U.S. PRESIDENTS - best to worst

..1 George Washington
..2 Andrew Jackson
..3 James K. Polk
..4 Donald Trump
..5 Theodore Roosevelt
..6 James Madison
..7 James Monroe
..8 Thomas Jefferson
..9 Calvin Coolidge
10 Grover Cleveland
11 William McKinley
12 Chester Arthur
13 Rutherford B. Hayes
14 Ronald Reagan
15 Dwight Eisenhower
16 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
17 John Adams
18 Harry Truman
19 Zachary Taylor
20 Warren G. Harding
21 James Garfield
22 Woodrow Wilson
23 Benjamin Harrison
24 John Quincy Adams
25 Martin Van Buren
26 Herbert Hoover
27 William Howard Taft
28 John Kennedy
29 Andrew Johnson
30 Franklin Pierce
31 John Tyler
32 James Buchanan
33 Gerald Ford
34 Millard Fillmore
35 William Henry Harrison
36 George H. W. Bush
37 George W. Bush
38 Bill Clinton
39 Jimmy Carter
40 Richard Nixon
41 Ulysses S. Grant
42 Lyndon Johnson
43 Barack Obama
44 Abraham Lincoln

Is it a coincidence you named the worst pres. as the one who freed the niggers, and the second worst, one of those niggers? Not to mention LBJ who gave the niggers civil rights, and Grant who... well... kind of commanded armies that led to emancipation. One might conclude you have a nigger problem. Not me though... I just know youíre a peach.

On second thought... maybe I wonít bring my sister on our coffee date. Sheís a little bit liberal.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 PM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Looks like we share opinions on Lincoln at least. I'd flip-flip Barry and LBJ, and I'm indifferent about the rest.

Trump reminds of an old school principal in that he doesn't really want you to like him. It's like when the principal says he's gonna cancel recess for the year. Can he do that? "Look, we're gonna have amazing recesses. Amazing. Yes, with slides. Huge, huge slides. Really, amazing slides."
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

by brianpatrick Is it a coincidence you named the worst pres. as the one who freed the niggers, and the second worst, one of those niggers? Not to mention LBJ who gave the niggers civil rights, and Grant who... well... kind of commanded armies that led to emancipation. One might conclude you have a nigger problem. Not me though... I just know youíre a peach.

I'd put Lincoln as one of the worst, also. Trying to make a "you don't like Lincoln means you racist" is an bad argument.

I won't canonize him for the Emancipation Proclamation in light of several things
1. His attitude toward Blacks was evident from his debates with Douglas.

From Lincoln's Speech, Sept. 18, 1858.
"While I was at the hotel to-day, an elderly gentleman called upon me to know whether I was really in favor of producing a perfect equality between the negroes and white people. While I had not proposed to myself on this occasion to say much on that subject, yet as the question was asked me I thought I would occupy perhaps five minutes in saying something in regard to it. I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the black and white races -- that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making VOTERS or jurors of negroes, NOR OF QUALIFYING THEM HOLD OFFICE, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any of her man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."

2. His willingness to amend the constitution to protect slavery if the seceded states came back willingly.

3. The fact that the Emancipation Proclamation didn't effectively emancipate too many black slaves, and kept the slaves in Union held territory, plus in the Union States of Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland and Delaware in slavery until what, the 13th amendment?

Lincoln was an evil man, and supportive of total war.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.
Yours,
A. Lincoln.

I'd put Sherman mid pack. I liked him better as a president, but as president he really kickstarted the era of crony capitalism.

On a side note:

The upper 2% of Southerners were terrible, contemptible people and ruined the South, and their inflexibility and unwillingness to emancipate cost them the war.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Itís probably a topic most southerners should avoid, for obvious reasons. I donít even have to try to discredit their arguments. Lincoln was a man of his times, as we all are. So... Iíll leave it at that for now.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

You engaged in an attack on Jim, without out and out calling him a racist, but inferred it.

The basis that you used for this not accurate.

An apology to Jim is in order, and then yes, let it rest.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
You engaged in an attack on Jim, without out and out calling him a racist, but inferred it.

The basis that you used for this not accurate.

An apology to Jim is in order, and then yes, let it rest.

Not accurate according to who? Look, I donít think Jim is an overt racist, much like I donít think you are. But loosely, ďproductsĒ of your environments can be said for both of you.

Iím simply trying to rattle out the deepest humanity I know is in both of you.

I sometimes use humor in this pursuit (you have to admit, my post was funny), and sometimes not. At some point a man has to decide he is man enough to challenge the elements, life, and all in it. This includes other writers on a writing forum.

Sorry, but I wonít apologize for wanting Jim to be more than he is showing us here. He can defend himself if he feels it necessary, or he can ignore me as he usually does.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:45 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

Oh, nice!

You see what happened there? We could have had an conversation around who ranks where and list supporting details, but who has time for all that shit. No, let's just ask if it's because of niggers. That we can minimize an argument to a straw man by calling the writer a racist. After all, the writer never said anything about niggers, but we can dump all of that on his plate because we said so. Brilliant, really! That way we get to avoid talking about mertis altogether, yet at the same time claiming the moral highbround (because we were defending niggers, sort of). I mean look us! Such good people! I think I'll tell my wife how I stood up for niggers today.

Last edited by spshane; 06-24-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

We werenít ever going to have such a conversation on this threadónot with the original posteróanyway. In fact, a ranking of the presidents in order of best to worst is nothing more than a political football. Yeah, I suppose if this were a history forum we could have a rousing game of whack-a-mole.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 06-24-2018 at 10:29 AM..
Old 06-25-2018, 03:15 AM
spshane (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 73

More brilliance.

The same thing could be said about anything. I don't like the conversation, I don't want to have the conversation (not with certain people anyway,) so rather than lettering it ride, which is an option by the way, I'm going to remind the whole that the OP has a problem with niggers, thereby ending the conversation, making the OP look like shit, and positing myself on some sort of moral high ground at the same time. More brilliance. I get to control the conversation every time that way. Something I don't want to talk about. Ah, he's talking about niggers. Only possible scenario. And I'm a goddamned hero for mentioning. Every time there's a conversation I don't want to have with certain people, I can just say "ah, this is about niggers, isn't it?" And there's nothing at all hostile or disingenuous about the question.

By instantly reframing every the argument in this way, I get to a lay an indefensible charge at someone's feet and instantly make the conversation about that instead. And the nice thing about racism play, is that the accused is guilty until proven innocent. The accused enjoys a level of guilt that's akin to what fundamentalist Christians call sin; there's really not a way to claim that you're not a sinner. Yes, we hate it when fundamentalist do that shit to people, but what we're doing here is only perfectly normal. If the accused could only bring himself around to our "acceptable" way of thing which puts Abraham Lincoln at the god-head top of any list, then we may consider lifting said charges of having nigger problem.

But the brilliance doesn't stop there. In this way, I can put almost anyone on my list. Oh, he's from the south; that's an easy one. I can automatically push anyone from a southern into the racist category by default and thereby dispose of a quarter of the country without any knowledge of their personal history which we've already stated we're not interested in talking about. Set aside the fact that the person could have easily moved to the south from a northern state or even another country, we still get to push on them the charge of being pre-disposed to having a problem with niggers, which is really the crux of any conversation that we don't really want to have. It's not at all bigoted when we look at people from southern states, people from various religious backgrounds, or people with different political thoughts and we deem them "less intelligent" by default. See, if they had simply come around to our approved way of thinking, we wouldn't even being having this conversation (which we've already admitted was never going to happen anyway).

In this manner, we get to determine what's an acceptable way of thinking and what's not. Really nice isn't it? To enjoy that kind of power? But it's like an intellectual judo really. We're really only gonna use it on "the bad guys," which we also get to determine at the same time that we proclaim ourselves champions of the proverbial underdog and the savior of anti-bullies everywhere. No, nothing intellectually lazy or dishonest in that. After all, we're on the right side of history.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
More brilliance.

The same thing could be said about anything. I don't like the conversation, I don't want to have the conversation (not with certain people anyway,) so rather than lettering it ride, which is an option by the way, I'm going to remind the whole that the OP has a problem with niggers, thereby ending the conversation, making the OP look like shit, and positing myself on some sort of moral high ground at the same time. More brilliance. I get to control the conversation every time that way. Something I don't want to talk about. Ah, he's talking about niggers. Only possible scenario. And I'm a goddamned hero for mentioning. Every time there's a conversation I don't want to have with certain people, I can just say "ah, this is about niggers, isn't it?" And there's nothing at all hostile or disingenuous about the question.

By instantly reframing every the argument in this way, I get to a lay an indefensible charge at someone's feet and instantly make the conversation about that instead. And the nice thing about racism play, is that the accused is guilty until proven innocent. The accused enjoys a level of guilt that's akin to what fundamentalist Christians call sin; there's really not a way to claim that you're not a sinner. Yes, we hate it when fundamentalist do that shit to people, but what we're doing here is only perfectly normal. If the accused could only bring himself around to our "acceptable" way of thing which puts Abraham Lincoln at the god-head top of any list, then we may consider lifting said charges of having nigger problem.

But the brilliance doesn't stop there. In this way, I can put almost anyone on my list. Oh, he's from the south; that's an easy one. I can automatically push anyone from a southern into the racist category by default and thereby dispose of a quarter of the country without any knowledge of their personal history which we've already stated we're not interested in talking about. Set aside the fact that the person could have easily moved to the south from a northern state or even another country, we still get to push on them the charge of being pre-disposed to having a problem with niggers, which is really the crux of any conversation that we don't really want to have. It's not at all bigoted when we look at people from southern states, people from various religious backgrounds, or people with different political thoughts and we deem them "less intelligent" by default. See, if they had simply come around to our approved way of thinking, we wouldn't even being having this conversation (which we've already admitted was never going to happen anyway).

In this manner, we get to determine what's an acceptable way of thinking and what's not. Really nice isn't it? To enjoy that kind of power? But it's like an intellectual judo really. We're really only gonna use it on "the bad guys," which we also get to determine at the same time that we proclaim ourselves champions of the proverbial underdog and the savior of anti-bullies everywhere. No, nothing intellectually lazy or dishonest in that. After all, we're on the right side of history.

Iím glad weíre on the same page here. Although, I object to being called intellectually lazy. Iím a lot of things, but not that.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library