WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Online Degrees verses Traditional Degrees

Old 01-20-2008, 06:09 PM
puresnow (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Online Degrees verses Traditional Degrees

Online Degrees verses Traditional Degrees

I get spam mail, and this is one of them.

Good News!

Interested to obtain Bachelors', Masters', MBA's, Doctorate & Ph.D. degrees
available in your field in 2 weeks time?

It's available now...

Call Us and get yours today

I must confess that I am very biased regarding this matter. I come from the old school where I went to university and got my degrees. I am married to a professor who tells me that his university does not recognise online degrees.

If you were an employer, and you have the CV of two job applicants. One has an internet degree and another has a formal degree. Who would you employ?

I bet you will employ the latter because the latter had slot through all the projects and examinations of a known system. A lot of work is done in a group, and you can be assure that most likely you have a team player. You will also be able to approach the candidate's professors for a referee.

How could you ascertain that the holder of the internet degree actually did his own work? Who knows if he had done "cut" and "paste" in his work? There is no proof that the candidate can be a team player as all he had done is work alone on the computer.

In this day and age, EQ is very much as important as IQ. There are many dodgy educational institutions out there in the internet world. One can't blame the prospective employer to be prudent and choose the candidate with the formal degree.

One would be familiar with the saying, "The devil you know is better than the devil you don't."

Many universities do not recognize an internet degree as a pre-requisite for post graduate studies. They have known from previous experience that these students don't measure up.

I stand by my belief that an internet degree is not as valuable as a formal degree.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Some ten, maybe even five years ago. I would have agreed whole heartedly. Not now--for there are some online degrees that are worth their weight in gold.

If the online universty or whatever school the students are attending, is in direct contact with a reputable school then that degree is just as valuable as a traditional school.

Here in Canada, there are online schools, that the student has to absolutely go to an adult school for the exams. Which are directed by the government.

Online degrees has become a huge issue in the last five years, and has been making great waves, in becoming known as the way to go. Especially to learn the essentials like french.

There is even talk that home adult school degrees governed by the Government, will be the way of the future. Only time will tell.

So if the student does cheat, it will show up in the exam. In that case the student is the looser. For the exam will tell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:11 PM
corvus (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Truth's in the middle. I've interviewed those with a degree in business management that I wouldn't hire to watch my cat. On the other end I believe that on-line degrees are becoming more main stream and have value. I would prefer experience over any degree followed by a traditional degree, and lastly an on-line degree.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:16 AM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Originally Posted by corvus View Post
Truth's in the middle. I would prefer experience over any degree followed by a traditional degree, and lastly an on-line degree.

At the moment I whole heartedly agree. In part because an online education is really oneway, unless the student interacts with others it is alot harder to get someone with the experience needed to handle many of the different aspect of the business.

I do believe that experience is important. Interacton with others does help.

Maybe someone should come up with virtual classrooms. There surely are alot of people who study the same things at the sametime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
TimD (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to TimD

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p...pen_university

Open University - fine

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7175730.stm

Irish International University - bogus!!!

There is no real need to disqualify university degrees gained outside of standard bricks and mortars establishments if they follow a suitable accredited curriculum and the students are offered correct tutor support to guide, monitor and ensure that the students gain an education.

There are so many kids taking "teach to test" A Levels in this country and too many getting such high grades the universities are having to find new ways of separating the wheat from the chaff.

I myself got into a proper university via the UK Access certificate as a mature learner and although could have gone the route of Open University I decided to use the traditional method, not so much for the qualification for future work, but for the facilities and guidance that I saw as necessary with the education I would gain by attending.

If I was an employer, I would interview staff on capability, not merely on paperwork. Too many of our dustbinmen round here have university degrees from bricks and mortar university yet are unable to present themselves as decent employees.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction