WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Streams of Consciousness in 3rd Person?

Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148
Default Streams of Consciousness in 3rd Person?

I have read that Streams of Consciousness is generally only done in 1st person. But I am thinking I would like to write a novel using 3rd person rather than 1st person, but with a stream of consciousness style, at least it is something I would like to play with.

Why isn't it done with 3rd person, and could it still be done, or is there a reason that the sort of thing isn't generally employed?

Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

"Stream of Consciousness" is generally used to illustrate a person's continuous streams of thoughts, hence the name. It's predominantly done in first-person perspective. I've read several examples of it, most notably in Ulysses and Darkness at Noon, and both of them employ the first-person.

It's not that it can't be done, but more that it goes against the purpose of the technique.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

Hmm, I was thinking that the writing would be like streams of consciousness, the narrator/author/me is writing their thoughts in 3rd person, and their thoughts are in a stream of consciousness, but so is the style of writing itself.

Or is this type of writing called something else? In some of my stories I switch between characters using 3rd person omniscient, revealing observed emotions and thoughts, but I saw something recently that made me desire to write each characters thought as a stream, different images and ideas bringing up different memories, thoughts, and ideas as they go about their life in a streaming style.

I also wondered if I would change my narrative style so that it too seemed like a stream of consciousness if that makes any sense? Or is there another word/name for this?
Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

(sorry) I don't normally post so often but I've been thinking about this today. So I was watching The Hours the other day and thought about experimenting with what different narrative sounds like. But today I was reading streams of consciousness was done with 1st person and couldn't find any articles on 3rd person except that Virgina Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway is it.

Is this a stream of consciousness in 3rd person?: http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/w/woolf/virginia/w91md/

Or is it just 3rd person? Or is that a type of 1st person?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Ravenius View Post
Or is it just 3rd person? Or is that a type of 1st person?
You need to stop worrying about this stuff; it's all just nonsensical bullshit. Write what you want to write, and write it the way that feels right to you. Nothing else matters.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You need to stop worrying about this stuff; it's all just nonsensical bullshit. Write what you want to write, and write it the way that feels right to you. Nothing else matters.
Thank you. Before I read this I was writing a long post asking what was wrong with Omniscient (a style of writing I tend to like and leans toward) because someone who said most great books aren't written in omniscient, and somewhere int he point I realized that writing had become harder because I was constantly worrying about all the people in my head saying 'do's and don't's' and what's good and what's bad, and applying that to myself....Then I read this comment and all I could feel was relief. Write what feels right
Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Whoever said "great books aren't written in omniscient" was an idiot.

I don't know whether Mike's being sardonic there, but if he isn't, I agree with him.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues