WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Why are all my stories short?

Old 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Sunsetdreamer (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Why are all my stories short?

What the title says, why are al mt srories short? So what gives? I come up with a story and it's short. I feel like I'm missing alot of detail , like it needs more, and I'm not getting my point across very well. I also think I keep telling instead of showing. Which is another reason why it's so short. I think I need to read more books.Anyone have any advice?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

Maybe your stories are short because you write short stories .

Advice: Sounds like your specialty is short stories, so...try and master the art of telling short stories. There's a ton of resources out there on writing short stories.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,898

("...ah but how many times have you written those stories..." asked the goblin somehow guessing that each time one wrote something one edited it into something more to one's liking, adding "...and besides, Ravenius has pointed it out that if one is self publishing what does length matter, for the reader will read that which interests them regardless of length now...")
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

Here is a good article about developing a short story into a novel.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingtart For This Useful Post:
kennyc (04-11-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM
The Unseen Page (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I suffer the same fate. For the life of me I couldn't write a story longer than 5 pages.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:08 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Keep asking yourself ''How Can I Make This Worse.''
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Keep asking yourself ''How Can I Make This Worse.''
Worse than writing a short story? *scratches head*

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Worse than writing a short story? *scratches head*

Hey! Short stories are cool!
Old 04-22-2012, 02:10 PM
<3Less (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 160

Short stories aren't all that bad; though if you are trying for a novel, i suppose it would look that way.

It also depends how short these short stories are. A five page short story is like a premise for a novel. You might be able to turn it into a novel, but you are going to need a lot more ideas if the novel is going to have any meat on its bones.

The best way to extend a short story into a long story in my opinion, is thinking of a story plot that could essentially extend indefinitely. And as you run down that plot path, throw wrenches along the path, wrenches, badgers, swords, nettles, and all sorts of nasty stuff. Not literally of course, but what i am trying to say is, throw in sub plots. Sub plots are what make novels have their length, its not just one plot line you read in a novel, but many, most of which connect to the main one in some way.

Add details. Novels like to explain things, a lot of things. See that tree over there, is it special in anyway, tell me why? Is it not special, is it like every other tree you see around you, tell me so. What is your character(s) thinking, always tell us what they are thinking, thats a really good way to add thickness. If we are getting descriptions of the visual aspects of the realm, as well as plot/sub plots, character interaction, and characters thoughts on any of those previously mentioned things, you can make a short story much longer than it once was.

Though, i have yet to write a novel, so what do i know, lol.

PS: I know this is gonna sound like advertising, and trust me; it is. I posted a poem on here called "A Warning", and a short story called "On A Perfect Day". If any of you who read this, could read mine and give their opinions, id be eternally grateful.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Mystick10 (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 7

I also only tend to write short stories, but don't feel bad! Short stories are usually much more creative than long stories and novels, and I often find myself not reading novels I really like because they are too long, and I forget about them for a few days, or even months xD

For a change, you could also write SHORTER STORIES! Stories that have three or four lines (Microsoft Word-wise), thus less than 100 words (I think), take more skill to write than stories that are four paragraphs long.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:15 PM
dswood (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Mystick10 View Post
For a change, you could also write SHORTER STORIES! Stories that have three or four lines (Microsoft Word-wise), thus less than 100 words (I think), take more skill to write than stories that are four paragraphs long.
I used to write 100-word stories as an exercise to force myself to play with language, tell more with less, economy of words, etc.

Micro fiction is an art all its own, I found. And sometimes incredibly difficult to make work.

I have a book on my shelf, and for the life of me I can't recall its name or the name of its author right now but it's a collection of micro fiction pieces and he actually does a fantastic job of it.

I'm at work right now (yay, night shift), but when I get home if I think of it I'll get the name... it's absolutely worth a look.

#freedswood
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 AM
dswood (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by dswood View Post
I used to write 100-word stories as an exercise to force myself to play with language, tell more with less, economy of words, etc.

Micro fiction is an art all its own, I found. And sometimes incredibly difficult to make work.

I have a book on my shelf, and for the life of me I can't recall its name or the name of its author right now but it's a collection of micro fiction pieces and he actually does a fantastic job of it.

I'm at work right now (yay, night shift), but when I get home if I think of it I'll get the name... it's absolutely worth a look.
Hello again,

The book I mentioned, depending on whether you choose to trust the face or the spine, is titled either "420" or "420 Characters" and written by Lou Beach.

#freedswood
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by dswood View Post

There are a number of Flash Fiction collections both anthologies and a few individual authors. There is a fun site of FF here: http://www.flashfictiononline.com/

Bruce Holland Rogers also writes quite a few FF stories: http://www.flashfictiononline.com/au...nd_rogers.html

Also NPR is/does a 3 minute fiction contest (which I've entered this round):
http://www.npr.org/series/105660765/...minute-fiction

Sorry for the slightly off topic post, but FF is a particular interest of mine as well.

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 04-23-2012, 06:54 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I write stories at a variety of lengths from 75 words upto 100K+. Each length has its postives and negatives.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe