WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Controversy? Good or Bad?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel
Default Controversy? Good or Bad?

Hello, my homies!

I have a problem. I want to write this story that has been brewing in my head for the past year or so. It's about a young girl who falls for an older guy. There's a big age difference since she's about 16 and he's 48. They have a mutual liking for each other and everything, but the girl wants to take it to the next step. He says no because he could go to prison and her mother would kill them both, but she won't take no for an answer and eventually they get together. It mainly just going through their two years together. All the drama, the rumors, hiding the relationship, almost breaking up, lying to her mother, dealing with a friend that knows and tries to blackmail her. Basically, just her teenage life.

I know this would be a very touchy story and I know a lot of people wouldn't like it (most likely), but it seems like it would make for an interesting to read to me.

I'm very close to this story and have the whole thing planned in my head, the thing is: Should I write it?

Help, people, help!

Thanks for everyone's advice and input,

Cas

P.S. I am a firm believer that age makes no difference when it comes to love.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
J.P.Clyde (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 55

No story should never be not written. I say go for it. Writing is based on bringing the attention of a situation. It doesn't matter if it is controversy. It isn't about good or bad.
Just write it.
Its a story you want to read, its a message you want to convey. It doesn't matter whether it is controversial or not.

Be warned....my greatest weapon is *takes out of holster* the ignore button.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

Thanks, J.P.! That's how I'm looking at it, but I don't won't to start a lot of shizzle about it. I will probably write it soon. Or at least get it going.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:27 PM
J.P.Clyde (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 55

There will always be people who get their underwear in a bunch about it and then there will people who will enjoy it.
Don't worry to much about it.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

True, very true. I wasn't looking at it like that. I mostly go off of what people I know in real life say about it. And it's always very mixed and not usually nice.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 PM
J.P.Clyde (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 55

Doesn't matter. You have a specific idea and a message in your mind. And you should write it. Doesn't matter what they say.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

I agree with JP. Write it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Thanks again, J.P..

And thank you as well, Writing.Geek.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:42 AM
electricbazooka (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

There isn't any written work capable of shining a light on the inner workings of the human heart or the truth of life, society or culture that should not be told. Do you think Lolita would exist if not for courage? Never mind public sentiments, they are generally full of hypocrisy anyway.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:06 AM
EmmChris (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 73

Look at the success (although controversial) of Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov. And he goes for the 9-12 yr old 'nymphets'.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM
moxycat (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

It takes a VERY talented writer to pull off a 'slice of life' story. No real plot, just some awesome character studies/ideas. *R.I.P. J.D. Salinger* If I were you I would think long and hard about what your main idea of the whole thing is. That age isn't an issue when it comes to love? So you're going to end it 'happily ever after'? That would piss some parents off and be pretty unrealistic (not impossible, just unrealistic). Are you going to make it more true to life and have a flaming wreck of a relationship at the end? They have a baby together, he accuses her of cheating and they have to go on Maury for a paternity test? She sues him for child support, moves back in with her mom (told you so), and it takes her 4 years to complete a trade school that should have been done in 2 because she (her mom) was raising the baby and working part time?
What is the message you want to portray? Build the story around that.

Don't ever NOT write a story because you're worried what other people will think. Just don't write if you really suck at writing! Haha!
Old 08-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Thanks guys.

@ moxycat: Trust me, it won't be happily ever after. When I said that, I was just stating that as a fact on my beliefs. I'm not even sure how it will end yet, but it won't be happy. Not for either of them. There's four main people, all of which will be affected by this relationship. And not all of them will be happy.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:14 AM
moxycat (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

Nice! I like realistic plots: people die, people get hurt, s**t falls apart etc! It's ironic because drama isn't my favorite genre at all, but if drama's gotta happen it should be as real as possible.
I still think you should throw Maury in the mix! LOL! "You are NOT the father!"
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Write it, Castiel. Writing can be a journey for us, if we have the courage to follow our interests and see where they take us. Write your story, and let other people decide whether it's controversial or not.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by moxycat View Post
Nice! I like realistic plots: people die, people get hurt, s**t falls apart etc! It's ironic because drama isn't my favorite genre at all, but if drama's gotta happen it should be as real as possible.
I still think you should throw Maury in the mix! LOL! "You are NOT the father!"
Lol. It's definitely what you said up there. But I don't know about that Maury thing, depends on what happens.

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
Write it, Castiel. Writing can be a journey for us, if we have the courage to follow our interests and see where they take us. Write your story, and let other people decide whether it's controversial or not.
Thanks, HoiLei.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Nemesis (Offline)
That Beautiful Insanity

Thanks 87

I can't think of a more eloquent way to say this... Betty Smith wrote a novel (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn) with "no plot" and it rocked. I mean, seriously. It's timeless.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Thanks, Nem. If I can figure out where to begin, I might just get something done. Lol.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM
A.Zerro (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Yes, write it.

I actually have a friend (she's 15) who went out with a 26 year old. I had my views on it, he was a sleaze. She could have done better, she is beautiful, but now I have no relationship with her because I lack the ability to understand why she ever thought he was good enough. Mind you they're not together any more.

Practically what she had going on was exactly like you have in mind, sneaking around, lying, (except I didn't try to blackmail her, lol) It was interesting to say the least.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

In the town I live in, these stories are the norm. Just not everybody knows about it. Mine is extremely close to me, so I'm super excited to write it. If I can just get it out!

Ugh, I may pull all my hair out before the nights over with!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM
AmbitiousK (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I agree with everybody on here. Write it! A good read is something that gets talked about or so i think anyway.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Thanks, Ambitious!
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Ollzie (Offline)
Scribbling Master

Thanks 56

I'd read it. Sounds pretty interesting. Even the smallest little thing causes controversy nowadays.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Aaron (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

What do you mean good or bad? The answer to your question is obvious; both and niether. Some people think its good, some bad, and some, like me, think it entirely depends on the context whether someone judges it good and bad; and then it is always a subjective judgement.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 AM
B. Milliken (Offline)
Pleasantly Dysfunctional

Thanks 220

Good writing comes from the distorted workings of the mind and heart not from the perfected and unrealistic norm of a culture.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 60

Compared to other stories, this theme isn't very conflictual at all.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Write it with passion. Write it with honesty. Anything less is just words on paper. Give it life.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Write it with passion. Write it with honesty. Anything less is just words on paper. Give it life.
If you never listen to any other advice, listen to this. Write it down and refer to it often.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
I love that, Gainesy. Simply love it.

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If you never listen to any other advice, listen to this. Write it down and refer to it often.
I will, Mike, I will.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Kasubi

Oh my, how boring would a story be without controversy?

Without being unkind, it's worth considering that there's very little scope for originality. For instance, everything ever written boils down to seven plots. Throughout history others have hazarded 12, 14 and 32 ways of categorising these things. But young girl/older man has certainly been done several times before.

So really, it's not about the plot. It's about how you tell it.

I know a lot of people wouldn't like it

If you're talking about the general public, that's a shocking way of thinking. The more controversy the better. Get down right dirty, into the nitty-gritty, thoroughly through the heart of it and then roll around in your glorious creation. There's never been a book written that everybody liked. You're aiming for the majority vote, and the main way to lose that is boredom, not controversy.

However, if you're talking about people close to you, friends and family on whom you're about to blow the lid, then I'd take some time out to think about that. Actual personal vendettas do tend to be a little boring. You only have to open the problem pages in most teen angst magazines to realise they make a half-decent sedative.

Again, it's not what you're writing, it's how you tell it. Can you bring it to life in such a way that people can relate, that they want to know more, that they enjoy you making them think?

And then, can you live with the consequences? There's a handful of things I'd like to write some day, if I outlive the people I'm writing about. Because, no matter how well I fictionalise the events and the characters, whoever was involved will know I'm writing about them, or that I've used something they've told me.

As tempting as it is sometimes, there are certain boundaries we set for ourselves for reasons of self-preservation. As artists it's very important sometimes. It's easy to get carried away and find that your world of fiction is impacting in a negative sense on your waking reality. A moment's release can lead to a lifetime cleaning up the mess.

If you can't entirely fictionalise it, and you really don't want to let it go, then the very best advice I could suggest would be: pseudonym.

Publish under a different name, and don't tell anyone in your immediate circle that you've done it. If you're writing because it's a good story, that should cover your back. If you're writing as a personal get-back, consider Jerry Springer, it'll probably get you a larger following.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
GS120 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'm not sure if my opinion will be helpful or not. However, it's my firm belief that reality is in the mind of the writer. I've read many different books, and most of them teeter on impossibility as we know it. Stephen King is a favorite of mine, and while The Shining and Rose Red are "realistic" stories for those who believe in hauntings, they are blasphemy to close-minded people.

If writers only wrote books on subjects that are universally agreed upon, we'd have no writers. Someone will always take issue with something, even if it's a complete work of fiction.

You're writing for you, first and foremost. So, yes, write it!

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues