WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Books You've Started Reading but Can't Finish?

Old 08-15-2013, 11:00 AM
chocolate (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 11

Don't even get me started on Twilight or Fifty Shades of Shitstorm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chocolate is the first luxury. It has so many things wrapped up in it: Deliciousness in the moment, childhood memories, and that grin-inducing feeling of getting a reward for being good.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chocolate For This Useful Post:
RyleyAlexander (07-30-2014), Synch (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

I managed to make it through Twilight...barely.

The only book I can think of that I started and couldn't finish was Thus Spake Zarathustra.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 AM
b-philo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. I know a lot of people love Murakami and I intend to try some of his other books at some point but I got about 700 pages into 1Q84 and finally gave up.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Redlorry

The Widow's To-Do List by Stephanie Zia - it was moving a little slowly for my liking; I would have persevered had a new book not arrived from the publisher that just begged me to read it so I could review!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

the house of night series by p.c and Kristen Cast, the first 4 or 5 were brilliant, then we hit six and the story started switching to every characters view point every couple of pages, and the storyline has been dragged out for 10 books, im at 8 and losing the will to live, I haven't touched it in days and normally I can do a book in a couple of days.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:15 PM
OberonOrion (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 4

"Cleopatra's Moon"... I really like Egyptian themed books, but this one was really kinda boring. :/
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 PM
Britt (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

''The Religion'' by Tim Willocks...

I got it last Christmas and started it that day. Absolutely loved the first few chapters, then it got so confusing that I've restarted it at least eight times in the past year alone. I've gotten roughly half-way through it and just put it down and never picked it up again because I'm so confused and turned around that nothing about it is making sense anymore...

I really want to finish it and have it sitting on my computer table, but every time I open it and read more than a few pages, I get the biggest headache and get so frustrated because I just do not get where it's going and whatnot...

"Death is but a word."
Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Error69 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 215

Paradise Lost - John Milton

Been sitting at the same spot for over a year, keep meaning to go back but get bored when I think about it.

Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

I got through Inferno, then started getting really bored some way into Purgatory... never finished it.

Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

Tried to read this thing, got really bored really fast. The movie also bored me.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
KosmoGideon (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E Howard. I got about three quarters of the way through I believe before I decided to put it down. I found the descriptions to be very good, some of the best I've ever read, but I found the characters to be a bit flat and reading multiple stories in a row eventually gets a tad bit tiring. I believe that reading them more spaced out may help the process, though and I plan to eventually go back and read the rest.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:25 PM
Arane (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

The House of Night Series. It's much too slow a pace for me. Interesting, then it slows and gets boring. Don't know. I would finish it if it wasn't as slow paced as it is.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM
Tankstr (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3
Send a message via Yahoo to Tankstr Send a message via Skype™ to Tankstr

I'm about half-way through Consent to Kill by Vince Flynn and I'm close to tears, even though I've read all of his books before the order of the month is rereading them as a tribute to his greatness. May he rest in peace.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:35 AM
Chef (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Chef

I've had this problem with lots of books lately, but I've always had this problem with the Bible. Ever since I was a kid, I had it hammered into my head that I had to read it, but I never quite got close to it.

I'm an atheist now, but I still want to read through it just to say that I have. Sure, I've been forced to sit through enough Sunday school services as a child to tell you everything about the Bible, but I've never actually sat down and read it.

It's just kind of a thing I've been challenged with as a child and have always wanted to live up to it. I don't plan on having a spiritual awakening or something like that, but I do plan on gaining something from the read, be it awareness or maybe even a little bit more disdain for the old tome.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:48 AM
re·writ·ed (Offline)
Writing Mentor

Thanks 14

A number of reference books on proofereading and copyediting, though I think I failed to finish them because my focus was elsewhere, and I do hope to try to read them again.

One of them was called The McGraw-Hill Desk Reference for Editors, Writers, and Proofreaders.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Shire (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Uncle Tom's Cabin.

It seemed like a good story, but I lost interest after the 3rd. chapter.

Last edited by Shire; 03-14-2014 at 12:24 PM..
Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
NokturnalMe (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 595

Dante's Inferno.
Always end up side tracked on something more modern whenever I feel myself losing scope.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:28 AM
WhiteRabitNinja (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I can't finish reading Gone With the Wind, I think I managed to make it to page two.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 PM
AmbrosiaByron (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Emma by Jane Austen was like pulling teeth.

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . .”~Henry D. Thoreau
Old 04-07-2014, 09:13 PM
AmbrosiaByron (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

I also have to add Animal Farm by George Orwell and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Anne Radcliffe's A Sicilian Romance was no picnic either, but the length of about 90 some odd pages made it possible. Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway is another doozy.

As for Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, I had a personal experience that changed my way of looking at the book. I did some classroom observation some years back (2006 or 2007) and I happen to be sitting on a freshmen English class. They were assigned Tom Sawyer for a summer reading project. The teacher was grading their test and she had to address a problem she was seeing in the essays dealing with political correctness. The gist of what she was trying to get was that the use of the n-word was only appropriate when in quotes and was not to be used all over their papers. What followed just completely astonished me and I could not make this up even if I wanted to. So a young girl, Caucasian, blonde, chewing gum and twirling her hair asked, "So umm, how should we write it then?" Before the teacher could answer a young boy, Latin American, turned to her and said (seriously, not joking) "Duh, don't you know anything? You say colored." My mouth dropped and for a moment I took a double take. Was I suddenly in 1950's Mississippi? The teacher cried out, "No, you certainly do not use that either!" She was so flustered she practically dismissed the class right then to regroup and trying again another day.

“I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. . . .”~Henry D. Thoreau
Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Klandestineone (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I was forced to read this in middle school I believe. It put me to sleep. I don't think I've tried to read a Dickens novel since.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Floyd (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 49

Originally Posted by Chef View Post
I've had this problem with lots of books lately, but I've always had this problem with the Bible. Ever since I was a kid, I had it hammered into my head that I had to read it, but I never quite got close to it.

I'm an atheist now, but I still want to read through it just to say that I have. Sure, I've been forced to sit through enough Sunday school services as a child to tell you everything about the Bible, but I've never actually sat down and read it.

It's just kind of a thing I've been challenged with as a child and have always wanted to live up to it. I don't plan on having a spiritual awakening or something like that, but I do plan on gaining something from the read, be it awareness or maybe even a little bit more disdain for the old tome.
Is it a thing in the US for people to read the Bible all the way through?
I went to a Catholic school and was brought up surrounded by religion (even if I'm not really a theist) and I've never known anyone intentionally read it through, just select readings etc for masses.

I suppose you're right about the fact one might gain something from reading it. It's always just seemed frightfully dull.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Default Books Can't Finish

I've never finished Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".

'Twas definitely assigned,
just not knew.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 PM
SuperGurl (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 33

The Count of Monte Cristo. I love classic literature, but I couldn't finish that book. It is my kryptonite.

If you want to read the Bible all the way through, start with the New Testament, then go back and read the old after you've gained some momentum. :-)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 AM
eteaparty (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Could never get into Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon10 Books Started- Not Finished

Hmm. I am a die-hard New South movement follower, but on the topic of
unfinished business, only reading- I have to say I started William Faulkner's "As I Lie
Dying" but never finished. It was not an assignment, which really shocks me
that I willingly selected a book, but could not finish on free time.

Go bother?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:03 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Fifty Shades of Grey. Ugh! I tried, I really tried. It's so popular, I wanted to read it, but I got the part where he's trying to force her to eat and I just wanted to rip his throat out for being such an asshole to this poor girl. He's all about himself and taking advantage of her low self-esteem. It was like watching a car wreck- so sad!

It didn't help that it was obviously written by a newbie. The writing was so basic, so many of the same words repeated over and over. Oh my! White. Grey. Blonde woman. We get it. Expand your vocabulary. Please!

I have a friend who's into the sub/dom relationships. He's a dominate and he was very upset by the book. He said real relationships of this type are nothing like that. He thought Christian Gray was an asshole too. He said he'd never treat his girlfriend that way, that the relationship is more about him giving her guidance to become a better person, giving her directions so that she can live a happier life as she is the type that doesn't make good decisions otherwise. Her health is better since she's been with him because he's set a proper bedtime and waking time for her and given her a better diet to eat. Otherwise, she doesn't take care of herself.

It's important for the main characters to be likeable and I just couldn't like Christian at all.

The elevator scene was hot though.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:09 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Chef View Post

It's funny, reading the Bible is actually part of what lead to become an atheist and I read it more now as an atheist than I ever did before. Although, much of this is because I'm writing a couple of Dawkins/Hitchens/Harris type books about it. I need it for my research. I know what's in it and why I hate it, but I need actual verses to back up my arguments.

I always struggled as a kid and in early adulthood trying to do my good Christian duty in reading it as well. Especially the passages that say 'begat' more than most books say 'the' and the Old Testament which, could have been cut down from 66 books to one sentence- "And God fucking killed everybody because they ate the wrong animals and had butt sex and shit." Sorry if the language offends anyone, but that's just how I see it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
RyleyAlexander (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Is it a thing in the US for people to read the Bible all the way through?
I went to a Catholic school and was brought up surrounded by religion (even if I'm not really a theist) and I've never known anyone intentionally read it through, just select readings etc for masses.

I suppose you're right about the fact one might gain something from reading it. It's always just seemed frightfully dull.

It is frightfully dull, and yes, in some churches it's a big deal. Growing up in Baptist churches, it was almost a requirement. If you didn't read the whole Bible through every year, it was almost as despicable as not showering for a whole year. They had stacks of pamphlets at the doors every December with a Bible reading plan of which parts to read each day, dividing it up so it could be finished within that time and every church member would take one and try to finish it all. Some start from the beginning and go through, so go chronologically. We even had ones that had Old Testament and New Testament readings for each day, as well as a proverb so that by the end of the year, Proverbs had been read twelve times because apparently a Proverb a day keeps the devil away. I always had a hard time doing that much reading. Yet, I can read twenty chapters of a Stephen King novel in a day or an entire book from Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series in a day or two no problem.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:25 PM
7thMidget (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

I tried a few times to read "100 Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Seems impossible to finish and I already bought the book several years ago. It's almost embarrassing. On the other hand, some of his other books were quite enjoyable.
Hi. Male. 20yo with a Peter Pan complex. Published (easy when you pay for it - don't). Didn't react well to the exposure; went back to the closet. After a couple of years growing up (ugh), publicly reconfirming my passion for writing (anonymously - interesting). Portuguese (I had to pay for that too). I do dislike official intros and excessive use of brackets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

Wheel Of Time series - Robert Jordan.
And I thought King was the epitome of fluff-and-filler...

Old 08-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Default Books You've Started Reading but Can't Finish

I have watched the movie version of the "Color Purple" for several years, but everytime I tried to read the book something happens.

I couldn't check it out at the library for several years.
Finally, in college I check out the book, then somehow it gets lost.

I have never lost a library book in my life, but did that time.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library