WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Tired of Writing the Story

Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to alia43 Send a message via MSN to alia43
Icon5 Tired of Writing the Story

Hi everyone!

I've been writing a book for alittle over a year now but I'm getting tired of writing it. I'm more than half way through it but I don't know whether to continue writing it and not.

Should I continue writing it to get it over with (even though doing that will probably make the writing not as interesting).

Or should I leave it alone and start writing something else (by doing this I'm afraid I'll never finish it).

I'm kind of stuck

Old 04-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Citizen (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

Is it the act of writing, or just writing this story? If it's the latter, then I might suggest changing the story a bit. Tweak it so that it keeps you interested. Of course if the story is set in stone, you could always put it on the back burner until you are ready to continue it. If never happens, then the story won't get told.

It might be dangerous telling a story you have little interest in. It might have the same effect on the reader.

You've already put a lot of time into this story. If you don't change it, but don't want to lose it, you could keep notes with your writing as a reminder of where you want the story to go. This is a good way because there is no editing needed, no worries about grammar or spelling. Just keep it in point form.

That may help you for when you come back to it later.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Fanci (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

I have been working on the same three novels for over three years now. The first I often lose interest in them. When I do, I just set them aside and go on with other things (writig or otherwise) until the mood strikes me to work on it again. I usually find away to get over the hump or change things up just a bit. But I feel that by not pushing myself through these novels, my work will be better.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

I do that too. Sometimes, I find that I need to try a different approach to get working again, perhaps developing a list of scenes from anywhere in the piece and picking one that I want to work on, or writing a poem tied to the work or...

Do you still like what you were writing or have you grown beyond them?
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

I like the story and everything and i think it is better than my first novel but this one has just taken so much longer to finish.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:16 AM
alia43 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0

I like the story and I think it is better than my first novel but this one is just taking so much longer to finish.

oops sorry it reposted, my internet is being retarted

Last edited by alia43; 04-08-2007 at 10:45 AM..
Old 04-08-2007, 12:24 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

I think re-postings are kind of fun cause I do them here and there too - if you want it removed just message dfisher - that's what I have done in the past.

Yes - some take so long to work on. But I have a couple of friends who have been working on the same poem for decades, while writing other work. Not really my style but I appreciate the effort it must take.
Kit

If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:40 PM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Whatever you decide don't flush your writing, it can always come in handy somewhere along your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:45 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

Ah...now this is a prime example of why writing is 'work', despite what family, friends and aquaintances think!

Try doing a quick short project...make sure its short though, otherwise you'll talk yourself out of finishing the big stuff! (evidence of this...see archive box under my desk full of half finished novel projects!)

*wonders if this post will end up showing twice?*
Old 04-16-2007, 03:56 AM
piperdawn (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Put your manuscript in the freezer for a few months and forget about it. It's funny how much it will call to you from in there, until you finally won't be able to stand it anymore.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Love2Write (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

I'm in the same boat as you! I've been writting the same book for about half a year and I'm so boared with it that I wish it would just fall in the trash can and never be seen again. Even though I'm boared with it though, I don't start writting a new story I write small poems and such to let out my urge to write something interesting and fun!
May I suggest that you possibly write some poetry to pass your time. By doing this you aren't starting a new story but you are still enjoying your ability to write. Honestly, by starting a new story you may lose the story you have developed.
I hope I gave you some helpful advice and I look forward to maybe reading a section of this story on WB!
Best wishes,
Love2Write.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
ronoxQ (Offline)
Eye in the Sky
Official Member

Thanks 2

It's funny how old works will come back to bite you if you give 'em enough time.

My first attempt at a novel was a story based on a special "magic" school, ripped mostly from Harry Potter. After 150 pages, I realized that I'd evolved as a writer, and moved on to something else.

After about 4 more attempts, I turned back to writing the first story this year. Of course, I decided to modify it by adding some traditional school satire, to keep readers interested for a change.

And, when I realized my original story wasn't as compelling as it once was, I abandoned it entirely. Now, my story is an epic story of satire, rather than a fantasy epic - and I'm satisfied with it for the first time.

Don't ever completely abandon an idea, but don't write one you don't want to write. Feel free to take a break and work on something else if you want.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 PM
phiddipus (Offline)
Award Winning Lobster
Official Member

Thanks 0

I started a sequel to a novel that I finished last year. The plot charged forward, bogged down and is now stuck, and I don't want to get all muddy digging it out. I'm halfway done or more and can't bear to take it up again. Every time I think about it, I get this:

"Llama poop," Aerin announced, tossing the baggie on the endtable. "Corinne says it's llama poop. They lied to you, Wayne. They weren't hauling horses at all!"

Gah...
Old 04-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Pen (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

If you decide to stop writing it, don't just get rid of it. Perhaps you will return to it one day and finish it, or you can "borrow" from it for other books at the very least.

If the story seems forced, then that's the time to table it. If you're so sick of it, you can't bring life to it, the reader will be able to tell. Writing isn't always fun, but once the story seems dead you need to rediscover its energy or go on to something new.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Deadbox (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I have had a similar problem for at least two years. I don't worry about it. Sometimes you have to get out of the story's way and let it write itself through you. So, while I'm waiting for the story to resume, I turn my attention to short stories or pieces of other stories. The characters in the shorts simply won't wait for their stories to be told...and the process of writing the shorts often re-energizes the writing of the novel. Or is it the other way around?
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Daniel B. Young (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Since both my first novels are still in progress I don't know what my opinon is worth, but I have never lost interest in them so maybe this may have some value.

My opinon is that you need to ask yourself what is it ABOUT and do you feel strongly about that. I don't mean the storyline, the genre, or the chararcters.

I mostly read Mystery, Crime, and Science Fiction/ Fanatsy for for entertainment. Most novels have a central theme like courruption in politics, how human relationships form or collapse, how a new technology could effect social mores, how past deeds can catch up with you and affect the present. These kinds of things a novel can be about without having anything to do with the storyline or genre directly.

Let me try an example of what I mean. The novel is going to be about animal testing being inhumane because you feel strongly about this and are against it. What storylines are available for this subject?

Crime [police procedural]: A group is raiding animal testing labs. In the process employees have been assaulted and one killed. Police pursue the group. In the process you get to present the groups' motives by detailing the horrors of animal testing. The good thing for the writer is he/she isn't required to be evenhanded in the presentation. Rant on it all you want but be sure your research is accurate.

Mystery: P.I. is looking into suspicious death. Deceased was an aminal rights protester. In the process of investigating the victim he learns his motives for raiding aminal testing labs [see Crime]. Victim was killed because of something bad he/she learned during raid.

Science Fiction: Protesters raiding an animal lab let loose a mutant [been done, I know] or an animal with a virus that turns people into Paris Hilton clones [that covers Horror}. History and horrors of animal testing are revealed in due course.

So, in my opinon, you must be passionate, concerned, or at least interested enough [to fuel the research] in what it is about to stick with a novel length story.

Fortunately for writers, what a story can be about and the means to present it are nearly infinite.

The storyline is the tent, what it is about is the circus inside.

Last edited by Daniel B. Young; 05-22-2007 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2007, 07:58 AM
sarcazmo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hi, darlin'.
I've put my manuscript down for a bit, I think it's perfectly natural.
Right now I want to punch out the lights on one character and, knowing
this, put it aside. If I reinvent her now, I stand to change the entire
premise of the story.

Put it down, leave it alone, go back to it later. You may find your
writing crisper when you pick it.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues