WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Too strict PM limits

Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50
Default Too strict PM limits

I'm sending pm's quite frequently, and sometimes I want to keep them. Other times I send a lot in a short time, so they keep piling up quickly and reach the limit too often. And having to wait 30 seconds between pm's? I've lost count how many times I've been told to wait. This is a forum for writer's, after all, and if we were to discuss ideas, we don't write long essays in every pm. Sometimes "me too" is all it takes, you know?

So can someone please do something about the limit? I've seen other forums where we can have up to 500 messages, and some only require as little as 10 seconds between pm's. That's a lot more practical for some of us. Love the forum, but it has some annoying limitations...

Old 12-04-2009, 03:44 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

For the time limit, that is forum wide limit on action, whether it is posting, searching and so on, changing it would change it for all, and that would cause problems elsewhere. Yes other forums have less time delays, and there is probably something we can do, but don’t fix something that is not broken.

Also the only time you should run into that problem is if you are sending prewritten/identical pms to many people, which smells like advertising from here. Or are you telling me that you are writing and replying to pm faster then to forum posts? As they have the same time limit.

If you want to send the same pm to many people just add them to the recipient list, you can send one pm up to six or seven people, and it also only creates one outgoing pm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Surely, my little Nordic featherbrain, you do not need to save every PM that says, "me too". And if you quote messages when you reply, then you don't need to save a copy in both the in- and out-box. A bit of practical management would sort your problem in no time.

And, if that isn't good enough for the likes of poultry like you, why not cut-and-paste old messages into a file on your computer? Then you can save as many as you like without clogging up the forum's diskspace.

In the time I've been here, I've sent and received a lot of PMs. Some I've kept so I can go back and refer to them, but most 'expire' after a short time. A regular clear-out not only keeps things tidy, but it means I don't have to wade through hundreds of PMs to find a particular one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

CV: trust me, you get over it.

I used to pant after deleting each PM that I wanted to hold on to, but... unless you are staff, you gotta stick to 100 PM's.

Here's a tip: delete sent messages and just maintain those you want to desperately keep in your inbox.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

You can also do the following.

1) Click Quote on a PM you want to keep
2) Copy the content into a word processing program (including the quote code)
3) Repeat 1 and 2 for all PMs that you want to keep
4) Write a New PM to yourself, copy in all PMs from the word processing program
5) Delete all the other ones
6) End result, one PM contains lots of information, up to the pm word limit

Or just save the word processing program file after step 3, by keeping the quote coding you can see who is being quoted and so on.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Ah, smart one, Tau!

Never actually thought of copying the PM's into a Word document or the like!

Well done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

SW, are you sharing a brain with Featherhead?

Originally Posted by Q Wands
And, if that isn't good enough for the likes of poultry like you, why not cut-and-paste old messages into a file on your computer?
What sort of file did you think I meant?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:16 AM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Being staff, I don't need to delete messages because I have a huge inbox. Can't you have up to 500 PMs on this forum too? It's been a while since I was there, but I seem to remember having about 500.

Wait, just checked--it is 100! But now it's 150. I don't want to make it too darn big--I'm not sure if the server might get messed up or something if too many users have 500 private messages stored. I can't change the time between PMing, though. Enjoy the extra fifty!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

VIP membership used to grant bigger inboxes; maybe that was the 500 you remembered.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
swissroll (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 20

yeah, i have been getting some interesting pm's myself CV that i would love to read over and over and over so i do understand your frustration...

30 seconds seems like a long time but like a friend of mine says, we have all night...so man up and take it, hon. lol
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Another thought, though I've never tried it:

Click the check mark next to a given message in your PM folder. Scroll to the bottom of the screen where it says "Selected Messages: Move to Folder". Click the drop menu there and you can "Download as" XML, CSV, or TEXT. That might be an easy way to save all the conversations you need.

Now... anyone know what XML or CSV are?
Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Paco (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 150

Who the hell has all that much to yak about? Go clean your room.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Some things you just can't say on the forum ... but they want saying. For all my teasing of our Norwegian friend, I also have a lot of PMs that I hang on to. I try to stay on top of them, but at some point realise the handful in my in box have become a mountain. Suffice to say, I have been doing a lot of clearing out today.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:57 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Lordy-lordy! I wish I had a smaller inbox so it would force me to clean more often! I can't think when there's too much clutter.

I have like 10 different folders for filing things by person. Interesting personal conversations get saved. "Me toos" and forum business PMs get deleted once they are responded to. But I still occasionally find an old PM I never responded to.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

All those folders aren't worth a toss if you don't file as you go. I have lots of folders too, but the filing is always put off for another day. (Like today. )

Old 12-04-2009, 02:22 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

*groans* I know! I'm the queen of File Later. Then I regret it later! Then I get fed up and spend a day organizing, which I pretend is getting things done when I know it's just shifting things around.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

I'm sorry, Queen! I must be, clearly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Hoi, XML stands for Extensible Markup Language; sort of a code-based set of rules when encoding documents on the computer. It forms the base of RSS and such.

No idea what CVL is.

But thanks, Winter.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2009, 02:34 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Thanks, SW! I'm guessing if I want to save things so I can read them, TEXT is the way to go!
I'm sorry, Queen! I must be, clearly.
Which Queen? Queen of Wands or the Queen of File Later?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:56 PM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
Also the only time you should run into that problem is if you are sending prewritten/identical pms to many people, which smells like advertising from here. Or are you telling me that you are writing and replying to pm faster then to forum posts? As they have the same time limit.
Here's the problem. Some of us have friends.

Speaking seriously, I do have a few friends on the forum, and I talk to one of them a lot. We can talk for hours, and often have three or four conversations going on at once. When I'm done answering one pm, there's two or three waiting for me. I simply don't have time to delete the messages as often as I should, and I often find myself having 70+ messages stored.

But I didn't realize it was such a big deal to change it. Sorry, my bad. I'll shut up now and go delete a few pm's.

Edit: Just noticed it's increased to 250 messages? Thanks!!

Old 12-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

So you spend less then 30 seconds to reply to each one? I find it hard to imagine that the messages are very long, at which point would it not be simpler to switch to a dedicated instant messenger program?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Yes, but you see, Tau, if Nordic Chicken did that, his conversations might wind up being posted to one of those websites and eventually find its way here to the humour thread started by ... the Nordic Chicken himself! And then we could all laugh at his silly chicken patter.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Noticed the thread title got fixed.

CV, PM time limits as well as post time limits are mostly to stop spam and such from happening.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

I don't think that I've ever had over 50 messages at one time on my PM space. There's even been times that I've logged on to find that I have 20 new ones waiting for me--but I'm one of those "delete" Queens that will read and discard. If I didn't do that, though, there would be like 20 million PMs about football saved on there I have no choice.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Getting spammed by a Steelers fan, are you?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:18 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

I've emptied mine about 5 times in total, over the past two odd years.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Tau View Post
So you spend less then 30 seconds to reply to each one? I find it hard to imagine that the messages are very long, at which point would it not be simpler to switch to a dedicated instant messenger program?
No, they are not always long (sometimes as short as "me too"), but it's too much bother to get a different program and stay on the forum at the same time.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

As long as I have enough storage to keep the one message I haven't read yet, and am allowed a minimum of 6 months between messages, I'm happy. If I want extended correspondence with somebody that bad I'll give them my email address.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

e-mails work, and so does msn, skype and a lot of other things. but the pm's are so convenient. you browse the forum, take a look up in the upper right corner and know if you have a message. if you have, you read it, answer to it and go back to what you were doing. it's just that sometimes you send quite a few messages at once. it's a lot more practical than e-mail.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Windows Live Messenger or AIM are good, too! The chat windows flash orange whenever the person sends you a new message, so you know about that right away. The drawback is that they're real-time programs...although you can send 'offline' messages that will be delivered as soon as the other person signs in, so that could work.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback