WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

How long...?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:09 PM
aniolel

Default How long...?

I have a firm question: how long does it take to receive replies here. Do I have to post more than once? Or does it depend on how many I review?

Old 11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

I think it depends on a lot of things. What you post (story, poetry, random stuff etc), how long the story is, how good/bad the story is, how much you have commented and so on. I usually wait a few days before "giving up" waiting for comments.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

ChickenViking hit the nail on the head. It varies sooo much. Including everything that he said, there's also what forum you post in (some get viewed more than others), what kind of genre your work is in, and also, if you have specific things that you are looking for comments on. Sometimes, when someone just posts up the story without specifying if they want general comments, grammar, or need help on whether or not the character is written well, etc., they won't get as many comments as asking directly for certain things.

Just keep at it--remember: "Critique to be Critiqued," and let everyone take time to get to know you! The comments should roll in then!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:05 PM
aniolel

Thanks for the comments...I keep that in mind, and start to review works that are posted here.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:44 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

As said previously... where and what you post - and the title of what you post - are big factors to take into mind.

Also, critiquing others also can draw attention to yourself and thus your work; but don't critique and link to your piece, for instance, of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-14-2009, 02:27 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

In addition such things such as formatting and general spelling of a piece can influence how many people will read/finish reading and comment. So make sure that your post is formatted correctly (Sometimes format errors creep in when posting) and use a spellchecker before you post, as a minimum.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:46 AM
aniolel

Thanks again for the comments. I keep these in mind when I post here.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:24 AM
Owen (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 156

My experience lately is that it takes a very long time for people to reply.

Perhaps people have better things to do than read my verbose ramblings. I understand perfectly.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Cosmic (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

One important factor with any piece of writing would be the amount of interest in the first paragraph and, of course, the length. Also this time of the year is usually a dry period in forums anyway, as users who are in their teens and twenties will have exams and so forth due around this time. So, there are many factors to consider other than the community as a whole
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Glass_Pinata (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 71

Originally Posted by aniolel View Post
I have a firm question: how long does it take to receive replies here. Do I have to post more than once? Or does it depend on how many I review?

I find that I'm more drawn to reading pieces that have interesting titles.
The thread title, you know.
And if I bother reading it, and it halfway catches my interest, chances are I'll review it or at least give some sort of feedback: liked it/ didn't like it, here's why.

Of course, I should take my own advice; I believe every one of the four or five stories I've posted on this forum have been titled "Untitled".
I'm no good at thinking up titles for stories.

But, if you want more feedback, my advice is to think up an eye-catching title for your thread. Call it "Sex, Lies, Blood, and Guts" or something like that, even if it's really about turtles living on a log in Grandpa's backyard pond.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Cosmic - understand also that this is a forum with international membership; different countries have different holiday periods and such, so to assume that this period is quiet due to the reason you provided is not really correct.

For instance, I know that here and in many countries around that holidays for the schools have just began.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 AM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

Really depends, usually with in the first two days I have something.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Naranwien (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 14

I was just wondering the same thing, about the "time to reply" thing. I am desperately trying to get a feel for how my writing is, one of many reasons - but probably one of the bigger ones - is that I am not a native english speaker, and I want to know how my writing comes across. Then I see that noone has replied, or I didn't receive the kind of critique I hoped for and I wonder if it sucked, or if the title is boring, or if it's so confusing that one can't get past the first few paragraphs. I'm trying to find things to comment on, but because I am not a native english speaker I can mostly only reply on content and characters, the feel of the story, etc, and perhaps many want witty and "that makes sense" kind of responses. I don't want to pick too much at grammar and such, in case I tell someone the wrong thing, although I'd like to think I grasp grammar fairly well. <shrugs> I'll keep waiting though.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback