WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Private Messages

Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Lenore_Zander (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Private Messages

I think it is a little irritating the you can't send privite messages to certain people with out having so many posts. I sure you have your reasons, but people may have their own reasons for send a message without posting on forums, something just can't wait.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

It's only 5 (or ten?) posts, so that people (or if bots get past for some reason) don't just spam/advertise immediately, I'd think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

That's basically it--you are, I believe, allowed to PM staff before those posts are done, so we get spammed first and can get the bots out. Mostly they prefer to post on the boards, but it doesn't hurt to be safe
Old 10-25-2009, 11:21 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Yes, even if you have zero posts, you can PM staff. You need to participate in the forum by posting before you can PM other members. Generally, though, you have to participate in the forum before you actually know any of the members and want to PM them.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Post an introduction and say thanks to whoever posts back, and that's two posts already. Then simply make a standard message, copy it and paste it in three Introduction-post, and there you go.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Originally Posted by ChickenViking View Post
Post an introduction and say thanks to whoever posts back, and that's two posts already. Then simply make a standard message, copy it and paste it in three Introduction-post, and there you go.
I think someone among us needs a lil re-education...encouraging form greetings indeed...tsk.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Ouch, that came out a bit wrong, sorry. What I meant was instead of writing "Hi, welcome to the Beat", there are quicker way to do it. Of course I know copy and paste could be considered spam, but is it really spam when you say Hi to six people in a row with the same message?

And btw how come there's no Reply-button when you PM someone?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Well, intro replies should really be personalized; it kind of defeats the point of 'welcoming' someone if they don't even know that you read their post. So if you do forms, try to add something to it that shows them you aren't just upping post count.

And there is...the "Quote" button is actually the same as "Reply"! That confused me at first, too. If you don't want the message quoted, you can just highlight and backspace.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Of course, I do see your point, Night. What I mean is a lot is the same in each message, so why not copy and paste it, then personalize it? It saves a lot of writing and still gives the OP a personal greeting.

Yes, there is a Quote button (I've used it quite a lot already), but it gets tiresome to delete the text all the time. Most forums have both a Reply and Quote button.

Don't get me wrong, I love this forum. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Oh! Yes, that's fine. It's the ones that are exactly the same for everyone that we mind.

You're insulting our PM formatting!? Off with his head! But not in a quick, clean way...oh, no...now, where'd I put that cheese grater?
I don't think there's much we can do about that, unless you care about it enough to go to Crowdgather (the big cahoona)...maybe you can get signatures...
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

It's like those standard letters you get, you know? If I get a letter saying "Dear sir. You might already be a winner..." I toss it in the trash. But if it says "Dear ChicknViking. You might already be a winner..." I am already a bit more interested, and yet it's the same words. That's what I mean.

Yeah, I'm insulting your PM formatting. What are you going to do about it? Cut off my head just like you did with the last one who insulted it, or try to personalize my death sentence a bit?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

Some political guy called our house once and left a message addressing my parents by name...like they were old pals...and it was more creepy than anything else, really.

*gets salsa, toothpicks, and the cheese grater which has conveniently made an appearance* ...Oh, but my dear, I always do.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

When the forum was updated to the current look the reply button disappeared, it will only show up again when it was given the skin of the Quote button (which did not work either), so out of two broken option became one working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:05 PM
ChickenViking (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 50

Originally Posted by Night Wanderer View Post
Some political guy called our house once and left a message addressing my parents by name...like they were old pals...and it was more creepy than anything else, really.

*gets salsa, toothpicks, and the cheese grater which has conveniently made an appearance* ...Oh, but my dear, I always do.
You mentioned creepy?

Old 10-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Paco (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 150

What is so urgent that a newbie cannot wait to post? The sky is falling? You must acknowledge my genius immediately? Hey Mom, look at me? I await your emanations with bated breath. No, really.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

Having worked at a forum for years I can tell you its necessary. There's no reason to send a PM before you get five posts. Most of the time you get those damn ad bots and they just spam 50 messages out to everyone.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:01 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Some people do use copy/paste intros but... yes, defeats the purpose. I mean, come on, five to ten minutes is all it takes, really.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

I'm with ChickenViking (and, I think, SW) on welcome posts. I sometimes use copy/paste for the standard stuff... read the FAQ, critique to be critiqued, etc. But I always personalize, and if possible have the personal outweigh the form. After all, I'm welcoming a person! There's nothing welcoming about Ctrl-V.

Plus, I read what other welcomers have said. If "read the FAQ" has already been covered, I might point the newbie in the direction of a forum they'd like based on their interests. It doesn't take a lot of time at all, just a few minutes.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback