WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

The Something that is on my mind.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:41 PM
theGREYjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 21
Default The Something that is on my mind.

I am seeing a formula here. You post some writing, some people comment how much they like it or dislike and/or doing editing and that's that. And the thing is, all the comments kind of sound the same. And I know for a fact i am guilty of this also. Basically, what i am saying is, everything is so "all about business" on this forum. There aren't alot of jokes or personality. The only significant amount of personality i notice is when someone is defending their writing for one reason or another. Maybe it's because i am kind of new, but i have belonged to other forums where people are passionate about stuff and it just seems much tighter. I notice not many people do follow-ups on their comments. I just want the forum to feel more tight knit. We are all members of this forum for one common goal, to be better writers, so i think we should be a little more involved. I am not saying spill your guts, but once you have "bonded" you let a little bit more out and people have a better understanding of your style. i am trying to better at this, trying to remember other posters' names and the comments i leave, to kind of get a personality pattern down. sorry if i offended anyone, which is no way near my intentions, i just want this forum to feel more like a group of friends rather than a literary version of "American Idol". thats all.

so i guess the is outta tha bag, ZING!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 722

I understand exactly what you're saying, Greyjohn I think that with most of the critiques and writing comments, members tend to leave personality at the door and just focus on the writing itself; however, I don't like to give out comments thinking "well, so-and-so wrote it, and since I don't like that person, I'll be a little harsher with what I have to say about their piece." Doesn't mean that we're not passionate or a tight-knit group, I think that it just means that we're separating "business from pleasure."

There are plenty of other areas where personalities definitely arise. Some may clash with others, some may really clash with others, and some may find a great new friend to chat with now and again--but searching around the boards a bit more, I think that you can definitely get a feel for more of the members.

I think that, perhaps, it just takes a while for some to get to know the rest of the gang. There are definitely a group of characters here! I mean, you have Bel and Teancor, who regularly write some super fun stories for our prompts and challenges; there's our Board Gamers: London, SJ, Essence; the Intellectual Table squad of CTK, Shelly, Gary; Poetry crew with HoiLei and Tau; Fiction posse with Calli, Chris, Gaines; we even have our own rat, SW (We even have our own Lin and Mike C!!! )

I mean, for me, personally, I absolutely love it here. I get to sit and read some great writing and offer advice on it, chat with people about complex worldly issues (and sit back to watch some fireworks go off sometimes), joke around with others about how much better the Vikings are over the Steelers (5-0 BABY!!!), and really just have a great time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
theGREYjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 21

well, that has really renewed some interest for me, thanks.
i was thinking maybe because it was because i was new it felt so foreign, but just in case, i put the bait out, looking for replies like yours. a positive trolling tactic if you will.
Well, imma go another month, and if i don't see improvement, i am looking for you. me and a badass crew of , you better recognize son.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

The Rat dips into everything.

It's like that with all forums, really, Grey John.

To be honest, critique threads aren't really the best place for displaying personality 'per se', because things can be misinterpreted and ugly flaming can start.

Peek into other places -- off topic threads (yes, guiltily enough this is where personality is probably most often shown), board games and Writers' Cafe, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Give it time, theGREYjohn. Some people can be very sensitive about their writing, so I suppose it's natural for members to approach critiquing carefully. Personally, though, I never felt a lack of personality in people's feedback. That may be because I know them pretty well... like I said, it takes a little time. As you get to know people more, you'll see personality cropping up all over.

As for off topic stuff... while Board Games can be startlingly dull (pages of counting or word association make my eyes glaze over), there's a lot of hilarious banter going on as well. The Cafe and the IT forum seem the ripest for personality to shine through. I am always amazed at how the jokes from one thread start to crop up in other threads or in people's avatars and signatures.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I can assure you, people are very passionate about their writing here, I for one would have lost the uphill battle that is the English language if I was not passionate. The thing is, as has been said is that we are a tad more careful when critiquing. For one to keep our own replies honest. It is easier to say I liked this bit of writing when the person is your friend then saying that there are problems there, if you see what I mean. For another, as has been said some people are sensitive and will get upset, and we have lost good members to arguments caused by misunderstanding in critiques.

So please do stay some more, and if you are looking for personality try IT or the Café, they are the places to relax after all, well maybe not IT, but it is just as charged with personality as the Café.

Have a

Old 10-14-2009, 02:34 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I only display my personality and comment on the authors personality 9this all sounds rather bizarre) with people I have known a very long time (Dephere, It's coming up to six years or more I think) or writers with whom I have a strong professional bond (Danny, who writes how I wish I could and inspires me to write poems he can't find fault with)

I'll admit I've been lax and it's thanks to Deaf Ear that I'm back. But it's true what the others have said, that business and pleasure don't mix much on here.

I think it's best that way, just because you don't like what someone said in an off topic forum doesn't mean you should berate them in their work threads. Personally, I think this forum is too much play, but I guess that's just cause it's faster and easier to type a response to a query, or a rant than it is to post a decent response to someones creative work.

You'll get to know us eventually. I'm the bitch if you step into poetry and have the misfortune to get hit by me in a crit mood. No holds barred unless you ask really really nicely.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:32 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

I'm sorry you feel that way, Kal.

To be honest; yes, sometimes I suppose people may answer shortly due to not being bothered to write a full blown crit. But the forum = too much play?

There is a wide span of ages and cultures across the board. Having it is essential to network across the world and thus bring perhaps different ideas to critiques and such.

Maybe WB has made a difference to someone; someone more interested now in writing than before because of the personalities on WB who helped in their writing as well as the mood the critique was delivered, instead of being all completely serious.

There are limits of course, and sometimes yes, perhaps I don't necessarily with some of the... indulgent banter that sometimes flows past, but it's a forum that caters for different people. Adaption.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 871

For the most part I think people on this forum realize and approach a critique from the standpoint that the work should stand on its own merit. Personality clashes and agendas have no place in a critique. Everyone seems to do that better than expected.

There are other writing forums out there in the ether where critiques are quite brutal and unwarranted. If you search the thread of those you often find that at some point or another the writer, and the person doing the critique, have clashed on one issue or another. I don't see that here.

Everyone on this forum is passionate about their writing. We do have what seems to be an over developed sense of political correctness when it comes to the critique, but an honest opinion and viewpoint comes through.

On a more personal level my writing has been subjected to a critical eye repeatedly. A certain Viking fan has taken it upon herself to beleaguer me with punctuation issues. Her team, undefeated at 5 and 0, imbues her with a false sense of superiority that will soon be dashed when my Steelers spank them in Pittsburgh. I can suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous punctuation issues far better than that "certain Viking fan" will suffer the defeat they will certainly experience very soon. With six (6) superbowl trophies in our possession, as compared to none in theirs, I am content in the knowledge that my punctuation issues pale in comparison to the lack of championship caliber play exhibited season after disappointing season my tormentor lives and suffers with. Some things never change.

I guess one could say that 6 superbowl wins constitute a "plethora" of trophies.

Stick around. It gets better.

Last edited by Gaines; 10-14-2009 at 12:57 PM..
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Don't get me wrong SW, it's just not my style. i will write in threads such as this to help people but as for wasting time or just chillaxing on the internet with games and idle chatter I have other places to do it. I come to WB for the writing aspect, and the community is great I just don't have an interest in the board games anymore. I'm not saying it's bad, just for me it's too much play, but I'm past the fun writing as a hobby stage of my life, it's crack the whip get a career time for me. Of which WB has been a great help to keep me writing this long.

Grey John, stick it out, forums take a while to get into, and if you really want us to get personal I'm sure someone will oblige.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM
theGREYjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 21

I am getting all tingly just reading the responses. but after reading all that there is here, I gues.s I might have brought my incorrect mindframe with me. I belong to a car enthusiasts forum, and things are pretty much "shootin the shit" all the time, even when it comes to track days. you either or lose, but its fun. so I joined up here expecting that same sort character, which I now realize is misplaced. kinda. I now know there certain places to find it now.
and you better believe I am sticking to this. writing is too much fun! hmm, that sounded just a tad bit lame.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Click new posts and you;ll discover the lastest activity, which threads get updated. The Coffee shop is anything goes really, and theirs games and such. The writing section is slower and more serious, but still fun.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Throw a username at me and I could probably give you anybody's personality, ages, and pets (former and present). You've got every major personality type and then some on here... and it shows. You want to see some genuine vivaciousness, eh? I direct you to our resident Slick-Jimmy.

Now, we should bond. I suggest a manly drum-beating ceremony, followed by high tea on the lawn for the ladies.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:18 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Kal, I know what you mean... after a while, it just gets a bit tiring... doesn't hurt, but it's not your most visited place most of the time.

I'll add something to Winter's comment... if you are going to SJ, take a translator with you. Sometimes, I can't even understand what he's saying.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-15-2009, 07:39 PM
theGREYjohn (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 21

Well i must say, the first member i really had a good run in with was in fact SJ. His "Little Girl Lethal" story actually was the inspiration for my "Ready to Serve". i kinda look up to him... *eyes shimmer with respect*
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Shay (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 15

So I know it has been a while since this thread was started, but consider this just a check up.

I hope you've gotten a bit more comfortable with us now that you know some of us better. It's quite nice here once you've got yourself settled down with a nice cup of Chai and a comfy bean bag.

So tell me, how is it?

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback