WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Google Chrome

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635
Default Google Chrome

I recently downloaded Google Chrome, and I haven't used it since. I tried it again today to see why, and that's when I remembered: in Google Chrome, several buttons from the Writer's Beat menu are missing, particularily the 'New Posts' one. As I use that one all the time, I abandoned Google Chrome because it was impractical. I was wondering if that has to do with the site layout or if it's a bug Google needs to fix?

Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Some sites don't work with some browsers, pretty much. Compatibility issues with media and coding and all that weird stuff. Firefox/IE/Opera all have compatibility issues occasionally when a site is coded more for, say, Firefox more than IE. Google Chrome isn't much of a browser in my opinion, which is probably why it's not in very wide use, which is probably why Crowdgather (the techies who own the forum) have not added much support for it.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

No New Posts button? That's the one I use most!

Note to Self: don't bother with Google Chrome.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

Thanks for the reply, Winter

Exactly, HoiLei
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a’ Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

The King, who has many many years in IT, has told the Wolfling and I to avoid Google Chrome like Swine Flu. Apparently, it's loads of trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

What utter tosh.

This post is being written in Chrome. I don't use it exclusively, but I love it; it's way faster that IE or Firefox, less cluttered, and is based on the came engine as Safari so it's as compatible with sites as any Mac user.

And all the buttons are in the right place.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:29 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
This post is being written in Chrome. I don't use it exclusively, but I love it; it's way faster that IE or Firefox, less cluttered, and is based on the came engine as Safari so it's as compatible with sites as any Mac user.
Out of curiosity, how can Google get any less cluttered? It's already just one word in a white screen. That's why I like it so much. (Clutter stresses me out.) But maybe I'm confused about what Google Chrome is.... I'm not entirely sure how a browser is different from a search engine.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Team 2012 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9

Chrome is the new browser offered by Google...a step in their welcome direction of kicking Microsoft's butt.

The browser is what you see the internet with. You''re looking at this page because the program with name up in the corner (I.E. Firefox, Opera, etc) is interpreting files place on a hard drive somewhere and downloaded to your browser by a server machine.
A search engine is a web-based appliance that seraches for sites with the keywords you enter. Actually they don't search the web so much as searching a catalog them maintain of copies of websites. Which they can search just like you search a file in your word-processing program. Except they use much more sophisticated paramters. When you think about it, Google saying "are you sure you don't mean "romance literature" rather than "romanch literature" like you typed in, bonehead>?" it's doinf some pretty high level stuff. The way it ranks sites to show you the most relevant or most visited first is highly esoteric.
You access the search engine site (Google, Yahoo, AltaVista, etc) with your browser and it takes you to pages that you download for viewing.

Each browser has different ways of presenting the information in the html files it accesses. Which is why we run into trouble with certain sites. I use mostly Opera, which used to have a lot of touble with ning network sites, but now they "support Opera", meaning their controls work on the Opera browser.
I have trouble with WB sometimes. Often I try to post or to quote and it opens an ad for that dipstick "literary agency" in another window.
Chrome is "not fully supported" by Writers Beat.
Trouble is, I.E., the most used and most supported browser, is a piece of crap. Firefox is getting there. But if you use sleek, well-designed, heritage-free browsers like Chrome of Opera you can't always fully access any given site.

All this means, by the way, that when you design a site it has to be workable on all browsers or you lose people. Worse yet, some browsers (I.E. is the worst) don't show images that other browsers show and screw up code that others accept. WORSE, it interprests certain colors differently!
Our designer had fits because a lot of tans and yellows just don't look right on I.E. so maybe your logo doesn't match the background and has a line or box around it. Crazy-making.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Team 2012; 06-26-2009 at 11:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Team 2012 For This Useful Post:
HoiLei (06-27-2009)
Old 06-27-2009, 01:38 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Ah, right... yes, as Team has said above: Hoi, I think you're confusing browser with search engine. It's not an updated version of Google. It's a complete browser.

And the clutter is of the toolbar, etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

I really like Google Chrome's interface, and I downloaded it after seeing my brother use it and being rather enthusiastic about it. But yeah, the 'New Posts' button has too much value
Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 AM
Q Wands (Offline)

Thanks 452

What utter tosh.

And all the buttons are in the right place.
Sounds like it works well enough for you, but not everyone is overjoyed. Should people use it? That's up to them but, based on the King's experience, we won't be going near it.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:06 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Q - has the King tried it recently? They've updated it a bit.

The simplicity is the niche, really. It results in a cleaner look, a more stylish appearance and faster performance. Although I personally stick with FF.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Q Wands (Offline)

Thanks 452

I don't honestly know, SW, but he was fuming about it. It could be that Chrome has improved since then, but since he won't help me out if I run into trouble, it is verbotten at the castle. I don't really care because what I have works very well.

When WB first switched over to the wider screen appearance, I was one of the people having to scroll left and right. Dan said to use Firefox so I switched to that for a while. Didn't see it was any better, so I'm back to IE.

Diff'rent strokes.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Lin

The WB toolbar is still not completely supported on Chrome. It's the only place I've run into anything like that.

Chrome's interface (oddly, what people who discuss browsers technically call "chrome") is a little TOO clean, to my mind. There are some valuable tolls omitted that can make it annoying to use now and then.

It's hard to figure out their bookmarking and when you do you realize it's pretty primitive next to Firefox, much less Opera.

There is no "open file" command, which means if you want to open an html file on your own hard drive (like when designing pages, or viewing a saved page) so you end up having to look it up in your file manager and pasting, which is a pain in the neck, especially if you have some long address.

But it's fast and doesn't make imporant decisions for you whether you want to or not, like I.E.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:40 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
Out of curiosity, how can Google get any less cluttered? It's already just one word in a white screen. That's why I like it so much. (Clutter stresses me out.) But maybe I'm confused about what Google Chrome is.... I'm not entirely sure how a browser is different from a search engine.
Chrome and Opera are about as clean as Browsers get. Personally I found Opera to be faster. But Chrome is faster than IE or Fireforx. And unlike Opera, Chrome allows middle clicking.

In fact, in my version of Chrome, I haven't noticed any differences on this site except the display mode of posting...

Opera

Chrome

If you're on a public computer, you can incognito browse on chrome and it doesn't go to history.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

I can't see whether your Chrome display shows the new post button.. that's why I opened this topic in the first place, haha. Opera does look a lot less cluttered than Firefox! If it's really faster I might try it
Old 06-30-2009, 01:56 AM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

I see what you mean, and it doesn't I don't even use that button though lol.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Lin

Opera is the ultimate Corvette starcruiser of browsers. It's SO well-thought out and handy.

Check this out: There's a "magic wand". You log into a password site like this one and it asks if you want to remember your log-in. Next time as soon as you hit that site the little wand lights up and if you click it, it logs you in completely automatically. Puts in your name and passwords and hits the button.

It's got a very useful bookmarks system. You go down your bookmarks tree to the folder you want and save it there. As opposed to the clunky crapola IE does.

You open a new window or tab and it shows you a "speed-dialer"--nine sites of your choosing that you just click to go to.
Chrome has something similar, where the sites are selected by your frequency of use.

It's amazingly cool. Only hangup...some sites don't support it or don't support it completely. On ning networks I find that some buttons work, others not. But that seems to be getting better, they may be working on it, or Opera might be working around it.

It's the way browsers are supposed to be.

(Except for designing... when I do a webpage, I use other browsers)
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

Huge flaw in Opera, no middle click for opening tabs...that literally keeps me from using it. I middle click almost as much as I left click.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Fame<Infamy View Post
...that literally keeps me from using it.

What, literally? As opposed to...

All the browser hype is 99% bullshit. I have to use all of them for testing websites. IE works fine. There are issues with standards but they're largely theoreticasl because, with such a huge user base, IE is the standard. FF is fine, but not as cool as FF users would like to think; it's generally favoured by those who think it's cool to hate anything microsoft, but without the balls to junk windows in favour of Linux. Opera is a nice toy, but with a user base of about 12 people, it's amazing it's lasted this long. Safari; nice on a mac, shit on a PC. Chrome is cool, but needs more work.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

What, literally? As opposed to...

All the browser hype is 99% bullshit. I have to use all of them for testing websites. IE works fine. There are issues with standards but they're largely theoreticasl because, with such a huge user base, IE is the standard. FF is fine, but not as cool as FF users would like to think; it's generally favoured by those who think it's cool to hate anything microsoft, but without the balls to junk windows in favour of Linux. Opera is a nice toy, but with a user base of about 12 people, it's amazing it's lasted this long. Safari; nice on a mac, shit on a PC. Chrome is cool, but needs more work.
Literally meaning that I don't use it? (I only do in emergencies but very rare does that happen)

The Vista version of IE takes minutes (not exaggerating) to start up and there's always some error message. This isn't just on my computer, when I worked at the computer store people called about it and complained then. Its a terrible piece of work and the only thing keeping it from being completely remodeled is the ignorance of people who don't know what to do or that they can even change.

Chrome is just an all around speed browser, it doesn't have the functions that FF has and most of the new IE features are just stolen, since Microsoft hasn't really had an original idea in a decade.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

...Microsoft hasn't really had an original idea in a decade.

So why use Vista and not Linux? Or get a Mac?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:12 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

So why use Vista and not Linux? Or get a Mac?
I have a Mac, don't use it as much because its older. Linux is harder to use and new Macs are very expensive. Unfortunately there is probably one thing Microsoft does better than anyone else (besides hold top spot) and that's their word processor. Which is what I spend 90% of my time in.

While I don't like microsoft, I don't dislike Vista or find it bad like most did and in fact it has yet to give me more than one minor issue.

But their web browsers are just not very good. The only thing worse than IE is that awful AOL browser thing.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

While I don't like microsoft, I don't dislike Vista or find it bad like most did and in fact it has yet to give me more than one minor issue.
So if Vista works for you, and you like the WP, why don't you like MS? It's trendy to knock them, but often for no reason other than the fact that they're successful.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

So if Vista works for you, and you like the WP, why don't you like MS? It's trendy to knock them, but often for no reason other than the fact that they're successful.
Actually its not because their trendy to knock. Its because I still remember ME, I still have IE trying to come up when I click links sometimes and I have to use IE for school and it reminds me constantly how bad it is.

Their software is over priced and almost a necessity in some cases.

Then there's the X-Box...I think its a huge atrocity and its reduced games to shooting and running around when they could have gone in a better direction.

I prefer the look and feel of Macs and would switch if I could, but I would keep Word.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Lin

The line on FF is: it WAS much faster than IE, but has gotten loaded down with gimmicks as it gained users and the speed advantage (which is hardly the big criteria for using a browser, any more than it is with cars) has diminished.
Lots of geeks at the theoretical level feel this is some sort of inevitable process and that as Chrome and Opera gain ground they will slow down.

No, there are plenty of reasons to knock Microsoft product other than their success. Plenty. Vista is a nightmare. On top of requiring such huge amounts of memory that you end up being forced towards new computers. Again.

The newer versions of Word are horribly disfigured compared to those three or four cycles back.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48

New Word is awesome, the review feature and some other compatibility things are nice. Plus it feels more stable than old Word. And I seem to remember that back when XP came out people were trying to run 64 Megs. Computers have to get faster as technology advances. That's their nature.

As for Fire Fox, I only have like two plugins, one for searching this site I use a lot and one for image zooming--oh and I have adblock but that's like standard basically.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Team 2012 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9

iT's not case of "technology advancing" It's engineered obsolescence. Most of the demand for memory in XP and Vista isn't to do any sophisticated tech thing...it's to have little buttons that light up when you hover on them and crap like that.

Very little of this stuff constitute an advance for users. Most of it is little bullshit like having a dog wag its tail while the lame serach program is trying to search. (Ever wonder why it takes longer to search your computer than Google does to search the internet?)

Microsoft has matured. They really can't advance as much as they need to in order to keep offering newer products to the market. So they come up with gizmos and rebranding then enforce it by withdrawing support for older products which people are still buying.

Vista triggered what as essentially a consumer revolt. And no, people don't pull an installed program off a computer and go pay a hundred bucks or so for XP because it's chic. This represents real, quanifiable dissatisfaction. We get our work done by a tech who says almost a quarter of his business has been removing Vista and installing XP. Any nerd site will generalize that to other areas.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Team 2012 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 9

I have adblock but that's like standard basically.
Thats probably what was meant by "adding things to slow it down". And there are a lot of things that get added to new versions that you don't opt into.

When people brag about better security and protection, they're talking slower performance. And FF has tossed in a lot of cosmetic crap over the last few years.

Still use it though. Speed just isn't the big issue on browsers

Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Anyone else remember computing pre-windows?

When PC's had 128k of RAM?

Lotus built a spreadsheet that will do most of what excel will do that ran from a floppy. Memories were small, programming was an art form. Program bloat isn't just a Microsoft thing, programmers are getting sloppy all over.

I waited until Vista was stable before I made ther change and, though I think it's aimed at idiots, with far too much hand-holding, it works well, it's efficient and it allows me to do my job without getting in the way. That's all I ask of software.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback