WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

How to write realist fiction?

Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Default How to write realist fiction?

I've never written fiction before, but I have a passion for nonfiction and researching, sometimes I go overboard researching because I enjoy it so much, at the moment I'm on sexual assault, domestic violence and childhood trauma.

I'd like to write a novel on Aileen Wuornos's younger years, of surviving her brutal childhood, she lived such a traumatised life, her coping mechanism was to face the world head on.
“I think this anger developed inside her. And she was working as a prostitute. I think she had a lot of awful encounters on the roads. And I think this anger just spilled out from inside her. And finally exploded. Into incredible violence. That was her way of surviving. I think Aileen really believed that she had killed in self-defense. I think someone who’s deeply psychotic can’t really tell the difference between something that is life threatening and something that is a minor disagreement, that you could say something that she didn’t agree with. She would get into a screaming black temper about it. And I think that’s what had caused these things to happen. And at the same time, when she wasn’t in those extreme moods, there was an incredible humanity to her.” – Nick Broomfield
I've written about my own trauma and sex critical theory in My First Per-Zine, and I have a call out for feminist writings on the activist experience and how abuse and marginalisation might have inflected someones journey into anarchism/ liberation politics:

"
I’m on the lookout for radical folk who want to write personal stories that meander about general issues they’ve come up against surviving, growing, learning how to make change happen, for themselves and their adopted community.

I’m looking for both positive and negative stories, if you have stories of trauma it would be great to read as one important part of a larger journey, which might have even kick started something positive for you, like finding a supportive community, personal resilience, post traumatic growth. But at the same time I don’t want to discourage writers from submitting experiences that lead them to a realistic appreciation of sadness, or the limits of experience open to you being born into a narrative of kyriarchy.
"
But now I want to ask for peoples advice on writing realist fiction, I've churned a stack of prison letters, into a timeline of memories, and I'd like to write a novel keeping to this format of a prisoner on death row looking back telling her story from childhood to the end, basically just using narrative to connect the dots of her memories.

I haven't decided whether it would be better to stick to a single natural timeline, or to intersperse it with prison days, and sad flashbacks of violence and the murders.

Also whether the memories will be told in past terms or present flashbacks.

That's all for now, I'd love to read any tips or advice for a first time fiction writer. I'll update later in the comments more about my motivations, experiences and ideas I'd be drawing from in order to tell a story simmilar to Aileens.

See below the texts I'd be working with and on my blog at activistjourneys.wordpress.com

Notes from 'Life on the road'
  • 16 ½ - Living around celebrities in Palmsprings / Seeing news of celebrities on death bed, message to Dawn to feel good about her death when it comes.
  • ? – Lauderdale - Staying with celebrities
  • ? – Keith’s Illness and Hospital – Last visit, keith disapproves of hooking, aileen trys to make plans to come back and support keith
  • ? – Keith Hospital / Dawn visiting / Barry tortured Keith, family violence
  • ? - Keith Dies, Loris house, funeral, scattering ashes, radio omen
  • 16 – 1972 – Peter’s Shelter – Rape threat at gun point - Lexington Kentucky
  • 16 and 3 weeks – rapes and abuse
  • 16 – 1972 – Bakersfield California – picked up by Hells Angels, hitting it off over past suffering, pool and drinks. Crazy Joe T. Rip. Frenchy. Foot.

So after 3 days I was back on the road again thoroughly impressed with the opportunity. As they aired much kindness my way, that’d I’d like to say back. Thank you!. . . . And if ya can’t seem to recall who I am out there (in Bakersfield) Well there’s an old Nick I acquired in Detroit (before) runnin into ya’s. So used it with ya since everybody else went by nic’s. And that was. Apple. So wish ya well Bud. Keep scootin and choppin the wind . . .

• ? – Daytona Beach – Jobs; “Topless Bartender at a juke named Sam’s” for 2 weeks, 1 day as a stripper, the discreetness of hitchhiking hooking
  • 17 – 1973 –Louiville Kentucky to Jeffersonville Indiana –

"
‘carrying always that motto to try anything’ went out on dates with customers at the topless bar, near death escape with murderer “Well needless to say———I lost my job and staying with the gal., only then to move in with a chick who ran the Outlaws.206 But when she realized I just was’nt going to be able to find a job for a while and help her with any rent ———out I was with my face———ALL BLACK AND BLUE . . . Leaving me then forced to head back out on the road in this condition. And as I was hitchhiking out to Louiville a couple pulled over for me———thinking I was a guy who had been in a bar fight. Then when they found out I was female and all that . . . offered I was then for a place to stay . . . a good 3 weeks before my face came back somewhat enough to hitchhike in, then back I was out all over the roads of America.

• 17 – 1973 – Finds dismembered woman’s body, couldn’t get police or truck driver to care to check.
  • ? – Cop stories, a cop who was a regular customer of hers showing her a tape of 4 cops in uniform and their wives and a dog having an orgy.
  • ? – 1979 – Tara Technologies Corp Belfab, Daytona Beach – found a steady job £7.50 an hour, highest paying job that year.
  • ? – Fort Lauderdale going from Ohio to Troy, Michigan – Driving with out a licence, jumping bail, getting freaked and flooring it past cops.
  • ? – the beach – natural looking hooking
  • ? – drinking every day, hangover cures
  • 20 – 1976 – Atlantis condo, Ormond Beach, Daytona - Marriage to Lewie -

"
I know if anyone found out how rich this guy was. Havein as well had 5 yachts in his life-time . . . one would say. You shouldve held on. Well. The reason I didnt was because he was sexually perverted. Once we were married, where as he felt full control, he began to air it. Only to refuse and wind up beatin his ass. Ha Ha Ha. For Shore. From one end of the Condo to thee other. He’s lucky to be alive. Come near to killin him one night. Grabbed a 22 rifle, threw him on the floor, put my foot on his chest and the barrel of the rifle to his forehead, and said – I want a devorce within 24 hours or Ill kill you. He left. I stayed 2 Weeks in the Condo. And finally the devorce came through. Then left, hit the road and went back to travelin the good ol’ USA as I did from 16 up to 20 and runnin into him – marrying. He picked me up hitchhiken. But the Article of-coarse lies, as we wanted it to, and says he picked me up from a nightclub I sang at. Yeah. Sang at! Ha Ha Ha Ha. I dont have to bad of a Voice. Wish it was true back then. May of – hit the big time in Rock an Roll. Only to later most assuredly go into Christian Rock. O well. Enough of his ass…
"

• ? - Detroit – Busking to meet hippies and get drugs, attracting the attention of cops, “Well, suddenly up pulls a plain wrapper (regular Vehicle) with 4 white coats chargeing out and grabbing “Sara” . . “ finding out her childhood friend was a runaway from the loony bin her parents had put her in.
  • ? - the Keys “under the bridge of US 1 and near the Ocean 80(s) motel resort”- sunbathing, treasure hunting and time travel
  • ? – reflecting on The good old days, entertainment at home, living like tv characters, winning pool bets, becoming an alcoholic
  • 16 –Michigan – first hitch, picked up by cop who pretended to take her to motel, taken to abandoned house with a matress where she could squat, came back with other officers and gangraped,

"
After this ordeal, they warned me to keep my mouth shut, that I was lucky to be still alive, and to leave fort lauderdale.
I did, winding up in West Palm beach some 50 miles north of the area. Stayed there in West Palm ō a good 4 or 5 months with a guy named cat. Once cat left me to head out back to his ex in Albequerque New Mexico, I headed out West and wound up for the Summer in / Sedala Colorado, liven up in the mountains of / with Sam and Rose Stone.
Now here was an adventure to express in complete fulfillment of utter . . . “Joy.” I had a ball up there. Man, let me tell you . . . A blast.!
It all started with being picked up outside of Denver headin south on I-25. Sam who was studin to be a certified electrician . . . He offered me a brew and then asked me if I was a run away. He was so cool, and kind, I laid my recent history on him, where as he wanted me to stay with him + his wife and 9 year old boy named Peter. At first I was like, no . . . I need to check out the states and sightsee. Then on second thought I agreed.
He lived up in “Sprucewood.” some 30 miles up in the mountains from Sedelia . . . I started to fall in love / with the creator and his creations . . .
As time passed by in these Colorado rockies, I would soon learn much by these mountainous gypsies who loved cribbage (card game) and Hootnanning at night, (singing in a group and jamming out with all types of instruments). Rose would walk me through the Wilds and teach me of land animals and shootin. Shootin from a 357 mag. as well as a 15 shot winchester and even cross-bow 80 lb pull . . .
There were times that Rose would take me to the only bar up there around for . . . miles., to shoot some pool . . . there I was a 16 year ol’ Kid with a non-registered gun strapped with raw hide around my leg from the bottom of the holster, shuckin balls around the pool table like Annie Oakly . . . Loved it!
. . . I was then handed a key to a storage shed, and camp site combined, for 10 dollars a month. (Electrical bill). (One light bulb/inside.) located just down a revine from their cabin . .
Next letter dear buddy will be on some of the things Rose + I did . . . I havent much time left to leave these truths behind for someone to know. As you and I know., No body knows me, / at all! . . . So Ill share memories with you, therefore at least my childhood friend does, here even in writting OK. I love ya gal. Catch ya in the next Kite.
P.S. You may want to keep these letters seperate from others
since they’ll contain true life events. Okee do Kee.
"

• ? – childhood bullies, in love with sightseeing,

"
In my teens, beginning around 13. Carl Maddox, Seduced me first into sexual activity. And from there I began to explore it with others. But there were also momments of unwillingness of where you could very well call it coercioned sex . . . These area’s of sexual encounters I assuredly constituted (as) rape, but shoved these events into a closet of my own, unknown to anyone. I was entrapped on many occassions by Clawson, Royal Oak, Uttica, Rochester, Sterling heights, and some troy boys in this ordeal to face. Around 13 to 14 / I was gang raped twice . . . Looking back I can only see that I was because I hung out with the guys. But . . . ! That does not mean I was asking for it . . . Normally we were partying getting drunk stoned or both when this would happen . . . Finding a boy friend from Royal Oak. . . . Bobby Rowland . . . I then thought . . . with him by my side would protect me from any further such events like rape. But wrong I was. The gang rapes where both during the time I was with Bobby parties outside of Detroit. So needless to say . . . I was now very experienced in the field of sexual assualts
This is why I feel a new Nation wide Law for Women of Self-defense should highly be considered. And every women, even adulesent, should learn Self defense, Also carry guns and know how to use them., when reaching a certain age. Like 21 . . .
"

• ? – getting kicked in the goolies for trying to get her friends purse back, near miss for her lebido, “she also was Maxs sister. The guy I shot myself over. So/She found it lying in a ditch along side the road”, learning how to avoid getting robbed
  • 22 to 24 – telling dawn not to blame herself because her family didn’t have the means to help her, the blame is solely on the abusers. Drunk suicide attempt when a guy broke up with her because his mom told him to.
  • ? – 1985 – Smart alex bar - “Toni, my first Lezzy encounter, girl I was living with, after a year together”, Beating up a homophobe, getting cheered on and backed up by other bikers.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:09 AM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

Maybe if you asked your question in smaller bite sized chunks you might get more of a response. I'm still not sure what it is you're asking and to be honest I didnt bother reading it all.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 424

Not sure what you're asking either -- are you wondering how to turn these letters into a coherent story?

If they are letters, I'd say do one of two things: Flesh them out, add some dialogue, or print them just as they are. The choppiness fits the narrative perfectly -- would you be able to tell such a story in a smooth, sensible fashion?

Sounds like a combination of hellish and exhilarating -- much like many women I've known. Their strength and resiliance is amazing, especially when you realize that, under that toughness, there's a scared little girl just trying to hold on.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

I'm basically attempting to ghost write an unfinished autobiography, or to combine autobiography with biography, which ever turns out to be more tastefull, and hopefully avoid veiring into real person/historical fiction.

Would be interested to get others peoples experiences of researching and writing nonfiction so that we can compare and contrast 'the why' we chose our processes and methodologies.

I'll probably release it as a nonprofit zine series, the first being her childhood in Michigan. 2. Life on the road. 3. Relationship with Tyria Moore. 4. Murders. 5. Media Circus. 6. Prison Days.

Life at Home
· Family
o Kid Days
· Family house and neighbourhood
o Video Driving round the neighbourhood
· Moral slippage
o staying up all night to find out Santa wasn’t real at age 6, getting to be naughty and Bombarding Keith “with Snow-balls the rest of the Winter”
o age 6 or 7, eating strawberries from the garden, trying to smoke the vine until realised they could rip off cigs
o Playing with fire
· Rapes
· Age 14 – Unwed mothers home in Detroit
· Mums Death
· Grandad
o Barry and Lori’s bad genes made them behave badly from dads alcoholism, Keith and Aileen treated as 2nd class family members, until mum died and they were kicked out by dad.
o Nick Broomfield: Michelle Schuman recorded an incident with her [Aileen’s] grandfather
o Interview versions
· Biological mum
o 6 October – Calumet, Michigan
o Pictures
Institutionalisation
· 15 - Pontiac, Juvenile centre
o 3 weeks on the run, partying, back in court,
· Age 15 - Adrian Girls School, Rochester Michigan
o Adrian
o The 1st Run
o 3rd Run
o Scars
Life on the run
· Neighbourhood and Friendship with Dawn
o The pits and dawn
o Chapter 2
o burning a barn down with the gang, drugs
o jeans, cigs and booze
o Dawn and Ducky fighting over clothes
o dreaming fantasy childhood, Clawson, pits, lori’s new port (black tank), woods, stoney creek, parks, the mall, 15 miles away jimmy e. the bizar shop, the store, where else but back to the pits, pool hall,
o Keith’s Crush
o Lori scooped dawn away
o The Clark gas-station
o painting dawns bedroom black and getting high
o serious race hate
o getting caught smoking weed, quitting school, living in the woods
o Relationship to dawn’s parents
o ” sleeping rough in the pits like “a soldier/sleeping out in a battle field. Only no gun fire, Just “Silence”” pretending to cops living in dawns house, running into the woods to escape,
o Winter snow / spring the pit near Atkins – running away, starving, embracing death by mud slide, gang rape, warning to other kids
o 2nd to last interview – after being thrown out
o Living - Walking round the woods
o Living in the fort with Dennis Allen
o last hang with Dawn, clothes and personal belongings trashed
o Councillor
o The commune
· 17 – Own pad
Subject specific
· Relationships
o Bobby Rowland
o Gene Lewis
o Max Reed
o Boyfriend who shamed and bullied her in public
o Gay hadn’t been invented yet
o Protective sister
· Sex
o Experimenting
o Reputation
o The rollcall
o Appeals court
· Prostitution
· Incest
· Drugs
· Crime
· Jobs
Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

I'm basically attempting to ghost write an unfinished autobiography, or to combine autobiography with biography, which ever turns out to be more tastefull, and hopefully avoid veiring into real person/historical fiction.

Would be interested to get others peoples experiences of researching and writing nonfiction so that we can compare and contrast 'the why' we chose our processes and methodologies.

I'll probably release it as a nonprofit zine series, the first being her childhood in Michigan. 2. Life on the road. 3. Relationship with Tyria Moore. 4. Murders. 5. Media Circus. 6. Prison Days.

Life at Home
· Family
o Kid Days
· Family house and neighbourhood
o Video Driving round the neighbourhood
· Moral slippage
o staying up all night to find out Santa wasn’t real at age 6, getting to be naughty and Bombarding Keith “with Snow-balls the rest of the Winter”
o age 6 or 7, eating strawberries from the garden, trying to smoke the vine until realised they could rip off cigs
o Playing with fire
· Rapes
· Age 14 – Unwed mothers home in Detroit
· Mums Death
· Grandad
o Barry and Lori’s bad genes made them behave badly from dads alcoholism, Keith and Aileen treated as 2nd class family members, until mum died and they were kicked out by dad.
o Nick Broomfield: Michelle Schuman recorded an incident with her [Aileen’s] grandfather
o Interview versions
· Biological mum
o 6 October – Calumet, Michigan
o Pictures
Institutionalisation
· 15 - Pontiac, Juvenile centre
o 3 weeks on the run, partying, back in court,
· Age 15 - Adrian Girls School, Rochester Michigan
o Adrian
o The 1st Run
o 3rd Run
o Scars
Life on the run
· Neighbourhood and Friendship with Dawn
o The pits and dawn
o Chapter 2
o burning a barn down with the gang, drugs
o jeans, cigs and booze
o Dawn and Ducky fighting over clothes
o dreaming fantasy childhood, Clawson, pits, lori’s new port (black tank), woods, stoney creek, parks, the mall, 15 miles away jimmy e. the bizar shop, the store, where else but back to the pits, pool hall,
o Keith’s Crush
o Lori scooped dawn away
o The Clark gas-station
o painting dawns bedroom black and getting high
o serious race hate
o getting caught smoking weed, quitting school, living in the woods
o Relationship to dawn’s parents
o ” sleeping rough in the pits like “a soldier/sleeping out in a battle field. Only no gun fire, Just “Silence”” pretending to cops living in dawns house, running into the woods to escape,
o Winter snow / spring the pit near Atkins – running away, starving, embracing death by mud slide, gang rape, warning to other kids
o 2nd to last interview – after being thrown out
o Living - Walking round the woods
o Living in the fort with Dennis Allen
o last hang with Dawn, clothes and personal belongings trashed
o Councillor
o The commune
· 17 – Own pad
Subject specific
· Relationships
o Bobby Rowland
o Gene Lewis
o Max Reed
o Boyfriend who shamed and bullied her in public
o Gay hadn’t been invented yet
o Protective sister
· Sex
o Experimenting
o Reputation
o The rollcall
o Appeals court
· Prostitution
· Incest
· Drugs
· Crime
· Jobs
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 424

Originally Posted by Zeroni View Post
But now I want to ask for peoples advice on writing realist fiction, I've churned a stack of prison letters, into a timeline of memories, and I'd like to write a novel keeping to this format of a prisoner on death row looking back telling her story from childhood to the end, basically just using narrative to connect the dots of her memories.

I haven't decided whether it would be better to stick to a single natural timeline, or to intersperse it with prison days, and sad flashbacks of violence and the murders.

Also whether the memories will be told in past terms or present flashbacks.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'll tell you what worked for me. A grown daughter I had never met asked me to write something about myself, so I started writing down reminisces and recollections as they came to me, in no particular order, with the intention of sending them to her just like that, a random collection of events and adventures.

As the collection grew, it became obvious that it would make more sense if it were ordered chronologically, so I began to move stories around so that one followed the other, time-wise.

Some stories, though, carried on for years, so, to maintain coherence, I followed them out, then went back to the time just after the beginning of that story and picked up the main thread again. So, even though the main stem of the story followed one timeline, there were branches that would end up far ahead. When they ended, I'd go back to the main stem and run it up to the next branch.

In between, at appropriate times, I'd pull up a memory that hadn't been mentioned before, and, to tie it all together, I added my thoughts and feelings about what had just transpired in a particular section, so it didn't seem like just a dry recitation of the facts.

In essence, I tried to make it seem as if we'd sat on the back porch and shot the shit about old times every night for a summer, and you'd recorded it. It seemed to work well and it appears you've got the same type of raw material to work with, except it's someone else and not yourself which gives you the option of adding your own commentary.

It looks to be an interesting project.

Incidentally, I started out with a list nearly identical to yours so, for what it's worth, I think you're on the right track.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 03-11-2016 at 12:02 AM..
Old 03-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Some stories, though, carried on for years, so, to maintain coherence, I followed them out, then went back to the time just after the beginning of that story and picked up the main thread again. So, even though the main stem of the story followed one timeline, there were branches that would end up far ahead. When they ended, I'd go back to the main stem and run it up to the next branch.

In between, at appropriate times, I'd pull up a memory that hadn't been mentioned before, and, to tie it all together, I added my thoughts and feelings about what had just transpired in a particular section, so it didn't seem like just a dry recitation of the facts.

In essence, I tried to make it seem as if we'd sat on the back porch and shot the shit about old times every night for a summer, and you'd recorded it. It seemed to work well and it appears you've got the same type of raw material to work with, except it's someone else and not yourself which gives you the option of adding your own commentary.
Thanks a bunch Prodigalso, this has really helped me visualise the editing process, I worry I'm too analyticaly minded, that I'm valueing each experience by it's political implication, than it's emotional importance, so I appreciate the back porch analogy
Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Zeroni (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

rather* than
Old 03-13-2016, 09:28 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

In Cold Blood...read if you haven't.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:09 AM