WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Word Vault Flash Fiction - Summer Contest (WBQ 31)

Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682
Default Word Vault Flash Fiction - Summer Contest (WBQ 31)

Rules:

Entries

Members are allowed one entry in the Word Vault Flash Fiction Contest. You are required to use at least one of the words from the Word Vault, (duplicated for your convenience below). Entries should be submitted as posts to this thread. The competition is open to all members of Writer’s Beat, including staff.

Members are requested to refrain from commenting on entries in this posting thread. Please use the Word Vault Flash Fiction: WBQ31 - Comment thread instead. That thread will remain open throughout the posting period and afterwards, and members are encouraged to let entrants know what they thought of their entries.

Word Limits:

250 words maximum

Edits:

Once an entry has been submitted, it cannot be altered. Any work that is edited after it has been entered will be disqualified. If you feel you need to make a small alteration (a misplaced comma, a spelling error), contact a member of staff. If we feel your request is reasonable, we will make the correction on your behalf.

Close Date:

30th of June 2011, 12 midnight GMT

Judging:

After the closing date, we (the Staff) will select a winner to be published in the next issue of Writer’s Beat Quarterly, assuming permission is given when we contact the winner.

galvanize (v): 1. To induce sudden activity. 2. To coat with a thin layer of metal.
From the name of the inventor of the metal coating process, Galvani (1737 -1798).

Example: The alarm call galvanized the meerkats as they rushed for their den, thus avoiding the pride of lions out on the hunt.

aggress (n): Aggression.
(v): To set upon or attack, the first act of offence/hostility in a quarrel.
From the Latin aggresum from aggredi meaning to assail or approach.

Example: The Right Honourable Gentleman was mistaken in his accusation of my aggress on the honour of the young Lady.

puttee (n): Legging, cloth wound round a limb for protection.
From the Hindi पट्टी (paṭṭī) meaning bandage or strip of cloth.

scrooch, scrootch or scrouge (UK) (v): To take shelter, crouch, hide, or the preparation thereof.

lexiphanicism (n): The embellishment of speech to impress or impart (false) claims of distinction or importance on the speaker’s part.

Example: The young lawyer was a master in lexiphanicism when talking to clients, if only the rest of his work was as good.

taciturn (adj): Disinclined to speak or communicate, silent.
From the Latin taciturnus, from tacitus meaning secret.

Example: Tacita was always annoyed at her names origin as she was anything but taciturn, a point her parents had cause to regret more than once.

mercurial (adj): Having the characteristics of eloquence, shrewdness, swiftness, and thievishness attributed to the god Mercury.
2. Animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.
(n): A pharmacological or chemical preparation containing mercury.
Origin: Middle English. from Latin mercurialis, of the god or planet Mercury.

Example: But we have sight of him, too, as he was in the circumstances of his time--a man of mercurial temperament and enthusiastic energy of character, whose flashes of insight, and zest for field sports made him a friend of anglers and poets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tau; 06-11-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 AM
Kas81 (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 149
Default Silence is not Golden

Sterile, thatís the first word that comes to mind. Safe should be the second, but itís not. Impersonal floats to the forefront of my mind. The corridor looks just so...white, and long, that I wonder if this is the Ďtunnelí. I see what I hope is sunlight through a window at the bottom, long fluorescent lights down the length of the ceiling. Itís all too bright, and wrong. Brightness equals happiness, I am not happy to be here. The click clacking our shoes make against the white tiled flooring echoes around, providing a weird comfort to me as we approach room 101. I donít want to go inside. Iím scared beyond belief of what is waiting for me on the other side. I have to though, Iím his mother.

The doctors leave me while they scrooch to discuss Alexanderís progress, or lack thereof. I donít know what happened. I only went away for three days and his babysitter did something that has left him traumatised. I can still smell the dried blood on his bedroom walls, see it in my mindís eye. Alexander though had mostly superficial cuts, none needing hospital treatment past a tetanus booster. It was mostly her blood on the bed and walls. It was an enigma and while both were taciturn it left us all guessing. As a mother I want to make everything all right for my ten-year-old, but how can I if I donít know what Iím up against?

Silence is not golden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is a journey, you hold the map

Hope for the best, expect the worst, accept whatever happens

A person's true strength is shown in how they handle failure, not success

Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

The young girl scrooched behind the bushes, big eyes looking around for any sign of her friend. No one. With as little sound as she could manage, she stretched her legs to get more comfortable. Nobody would find her. Everyone always teased her about the fact that she was so taciturn, but as she heard the muffled giggles and whispers of her classmates, hidden not far from her, she told herself that it wasn't such a bad thing. Especially when there was a beautiful red puttee at stake. The one that would be won by the child found last during the annual game of hide and seek.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests