WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

To forbid fast food places like MacDonald's

Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 AM
Kristijan (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 19
Default To forbid fast food places like MacDonald's

Yes or no

Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,185

No!
Old 03-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Nope. It's not the fast food industry at fault for serving what they sell.

Seems the FSIS (Food Safety and Inspection Service) needs a big time overhaul.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

The food industry as a whole is responsible for what they sell, but people are responsible for what they slide down their gullets.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:28 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Forbid? Here, in America? Hmm . . . well, as far as I understand it, everyone's responsible for their own choices. Unfortunately, people don't have the willpower and here, in America, most of the citizens feel they're owed a living so CAN make any choice they want (well, within reason).

So, no. Forbidding fast food places (or making them illegal) would go against the company/franchises's rights to create a franchise in the first place where they can make a serve food. What those companies SHOULDN'T do is just toss out tons and tons of (at least edible) food, but give it to people who don't HAVE any. Oh, but God forbid, it's against the law to feed the homeless/hungry. :/

Shoot. I just realized I'm in the IT. Lol!

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Lol! Heck, I'm excited to see you smacking down an opinion back here, Dev!
Old 04-02-2016, 03:34 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

It's scary back here.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-02-2016, 04:08 AM
Binx B

It's not going to happen.

Besides, the fast food industry is in decline. Soft drink and processed/packaged food sales are down. Companies like Conagra and Kraft are reporting declining or sluggish sales.

When it comes to healthy eating, Americans have a long way to go, but it looks like we might be headed in the right direction.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

To forbid them from existing, no. To restrict the places they can be built, yes: not in areas of outstanding natural beauty, not on sites of special scientific interest, etc. I can imagine a fast-food-joint-free community such as a town or village. Here in the UK there have been successful campaigns to stop a Starbucks from opening in a historic town centre.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

What those companies SHOULDN'T do is just toss out tons and tons of (at least edible) food, but give it to people who don't HAVE any. Oh, but God forbid, it's against the law to feed the homeless/hungry. :/
There should be some kind of tax credit for donations of food from restaurants to homeless shelters; perhaps that would get the ball rolling. There are unfortunate people everywhere.

It's scary back here.
It's just the low-lighting by candle flicker . . . kind of gives everyone's faces an eerie/shadowy presence, doesn't it? I thought the effect would heighten one's curiosity to join in. Should I set out a few more candles on the table to brighten things up?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Should I set out a few more candles on the table to brighten things up?
Hmm . . . well, then we run the risk of someone coming back here and sweeeeeping all of the candles off the table in a snit, catching the sparkly curtains on fire, and everything else in between.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Originally Posted by Non Serviam View Post
To forbid them from existing, no. To restrict the places they can be built, yes: not in areas of outstanding natural beauty, not on sites of special scientific interest, etc. I can imagine a fast-food-joint-free community such as a town or village. Here in the UK there have been successful campaigns to stop a Starbucks from opening in a historic town centre.
"Historic Communities" or "Quaint Villages" etc mange to keep the fast food and chain restaurants - as well as chain/big box stores.

It accomplishes several things - it is a type of protectionism for traditional businesses and it does maintain character/architecture/beauty, etc.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:12 AM
Binx B

Fast food chains trying to plop restaurants down into historic locations doesn't seem to be a big problem here. Either the communities keep them out or the fast food companies realize it would upset people, including some of their own customers. Or it's a combination of those things.

In a historic or revitalized community, especially a downtown with storefronts etc., Starbucks will move into an existing structure and use minimum signage, so it's usually quite unobtrusive. Personally, I'd prefer a mom and pop place, but what are you going to do.

In my neighborhood they renovated a mid-century bank building that probably would have been torn down otherwise. They did a good job maintaining the integrity of the design, inside and out, plus they added some tasteful landscaping and a nice outdoor seating area.

I had a problem with it at first, but I got over it. And I wouldn't be surprised to find some of the loudest complainers out there right now on this lovely spring morning, happily sipping their lattes and cappuccinos. I suppose convenience and familiarity can make hypocrites of us all. Or most of us anyway.

Last edited by Binx B; 04-03-2016 at 05:27 AM..
Old 04-03-2016, 05:21 AM
Prodigalson (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 489

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Hmm . . . well, then we run the risk of someone coming back here and sweeeeeping all of the candles off the table in a snit, catching the sparkly curtains on fire, and everything else in between.
We don't have sparkly curtains back here, Devon. Heavy drapes keep down the sound of beatings and prevent the odd shadow of an arm raised with a knife in hand or a strangling going on from being flashed across the windows late at night.

Otherwise we're pretty sociable.

To the subject at hand: Arcata, the college town across the bay from me, has banned fast food restaurants in the main part of town, while allowing them on the outskirts, which has worked out well. They're all clustered up with some motels and gas stations in what used to be cowfields by a Freeway.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."

Last edited by Prodigalson; 04-03-2016 at 05:25 AM..
Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

If you want to discuss in terms of regulating the food industry for health reasons, there are a few cities that have limited beverage size to 16 ounce servings.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Heavy drapes keep down the sound of beatings and prevent the odd shadow of an arm raised with a knife in hand or a strangling going on from being flashed across the windows late at night.
OoooOOOoooo. Makes sense. Must have been my sparkly vision, then, that made the heavy drapes sparkle.

Twisty mind candy:

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table