WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Any Tips or Advice to Start a Story

Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Saving Annabel (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Any Tips or Advice to Start a Story

One of the hardest things for me to write is the beginning. I'm not sure how to start the story sometimes. Do you have any tips or advice?

Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM
teenwriter (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Location: Wait.... are you trying to stalk me?!?! Fine, it's 42
Thanks 20

I have a hard time with this too, but the best advice I heard is to start out with a bang. Admittedly, I've broken this rule a lot (that's what rewrites are for ), but I try! Hope this helped!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

The first two paragraphs should entice and make the reader want more. More I say! Sock it to 'em, but hold back from giving them too much information.

Treat them like a puppet on your strings! Like a smoked ham, cooked slowly yet aggressively. Hope this helped you, SA.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Webgoji (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 67

There are multiple methods for starting a story. The explanation start, the action start, etc. Personally I prefer being thrown into the action.

The explanation introduces the characters to the reader and gives the reader a chance to "get the feel" for them. The action ... well, the reader gets dropped right into the conflict.

For example, let's say we are writing a war story:

Explanation method: We meet the main character as he is being shipped off to fight, we are introduced to his wife and kids and are given some of his background.

Action method: Bullets are flying everything, bombs dropping and our main character is hiding in the rubble.

Again, personally, I like the action method because my ADHD gets bored if there is a lag in the rising action part of the story.

Now the next question that comes up then is where to start writing in the story arc. Again, too far back and your readers might get bored. To far in and the climax of the story might happen within 10 pages. I think here, the key is to have a feel for your plot and timeline. You don't necessarily have to detail it out ad nauseum, but at least well enough to know when you have to much filler before starting the rising action.

Hope that helps!

Check out my Blog at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

The longer you sit there trying to figure how to begin the story the less likely you are to write it. Just start the feckin story and worry about where to begin it once it's finished.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM
CandraH

What the last guy said.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Alexa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

In my telephone, I have a special place for noting some fresh ideas. You know inspiration can come any minute. But my memory is to short to remember everything.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Davisstories (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 16

Just let your muse lead you start to finish. Once completed take the scene that most knocks your socks off. If necessary adjust the timeframe then make that your first page. Why? You never want them to put the book down from the instant they read that first sentence. If romance pick a hot vignette. If suspense/thriller, lead with the murder, the assanination, the discovery of OMG info. If SF, make the first chapter visual as hell with exotic aliens or weird beasts or space based battle fronts. On all my 16 releases I've used that strategy and most books received 4 to 5 stars reviews. Helps to anchor them in your mindset, your fictional world.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM
jack lee (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

title it with you character's name or main story. or you can leave it empty, when you finish your story, come back and see what hve you written, title anything related to it.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Don't get hung up on getting anything right. Don't try starting with a bang, and stop caring if your first two paragraphs are enticing. Shoot your muse in the head and hide the body. You'll spend so much time trying to get this right that everything else will suffer.

Just write. Start on page two, or half way through, or write the eding first, or whatever.

Whatever you write will smell faintly of shit. Don't worry about the stink, just write. You can deodorise and polish on the rewrite.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Jacobs (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Originally Posted by Saving Annabel View Post
One of the hardest things for me to write is the beginning. I'm not sure how to start the story sometimes. Do you have any tips or advice?
Start with the bad guy doing bad stuff.

Or start with a problem.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 PM
knightwolf (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to knightwolf Send a message via Skype™ to knightwolf

Question: I'm kinda new to the site, and I've been writing for a longtime. Ever now and then, I get stuckn coming up with ideas for a storyline. I can come up with characters almost on the fly to fit almost everything I write about. I was wondering if there were some people out there that could help me get better focused, on coming up with ideas. Right now, im at a wall trying breaking it down, but I have no one to share ideas with, or to bounce ideas back and fourth. If anyone wants to volunteer to help me out. I would be glad to have along for the ride.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Once upon at time...etc.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 AM
Willoughby (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 7

It doesn't matter where you start as long as you get started.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Bicicleta (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 27

Read, read, read. The more you read: the more you will see there is no wrong way of starting. Best start with a hook though. Why would someone want to continue? Why would they want to start your story rather than some other book?

Bic
Old 03-03-2013, 08:21 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

How much do you plot? Because I don't plot it is important for me to get the beginning before continuing so I just write and rewrite until it is what I need.

It is hard because you don't know your character yet so a piece of advice is to just write random scenes with them, get to know them better then work out what you want to say. Once you know what devise a scene that the character will work in.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues