WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Where do you write your novels or whatever you write?

Old 06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
pivotraze (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Default Where do you write your novels or whatever you write?

Do you write it on paper and then later transcribe it onto a computer? Or do you instantly write in on a computer?

As of now, I write on the computer mostly, but this computer is unreliable and crashes a lot, so I might start writing on paper, and transcribe it to the computer later.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

Both. If i am home or around a computer, I'll type it. But when I am in class and I have the sudden urge to write, i'll pull out my story notebook and write in that. Then someday later i'll type it. If i'm on the bus or train and i have an urge to write, i'll use the word processor on my cell.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Secret (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 58
Send a message via MSN to Secret Send a message via Skype™ to Secret

And as far as computers go, they're actually better when it comes to saving work. Google docs is a good place to write a first draft. It has automatic save and you can access it from any computer with internet service. I also carrry a flash drive with me that i save my stories to, and i save them on the computer as well. I'll also email them, or keep the document on my phone. Tons of ways to save my work.

I always loose my story book.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
pivotraze (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Yea, I do the same, basically. I use zoho writer instead of google docs however. I am now using Microsoft Office 2010 Beta instead, and save it to skydrive often. Much more efficient at points

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

14 year old mystery/suspense/fantasy novelist
Current Novel: Deadline - 1% compelete (552 words)
My Blog:
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
nimchimpsky (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 19

I write at home, at my favorite cafe, and at the McDonald's. Occasionally I'll write at the Wendy's (usually if I'm meeting someone there). I type on my computer. I write out poems or song lyrics on paper (with a slate and stylus, not a braille typewriter) so I can have them on hand to read at the piano if/when I decide to add music to them.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Ravenius (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 148

Well, once long ago I didn't use a computer to write.

I started out by writing with a pencil and paper. But I quickly learned that the pencil smudges the paper (I was very little then.).

Then I had a teacher who wouldn't allow us to write with pencil, she forced us to write with pens and said never use pencil for homework. I remember hating it, but I began to write with pens and overall eventually grew to love them. Pens didn't smudge the paper like pencil's did, but there's a little problem.

After a few years the pen on the paper in the notebooks would begin to turn strange colours, sometimes brown, rustic, or purple. I've got hundreds of stories in a black box because I'm afraid to take them out into the light and am too lazy to type them up so will just have to burn them before I die.

Well fortunately for me I learned to type somewhere between pencils and pens (unusually young). My favourite thing to do was to type, so I mostly typed stories since pencil's smudged, and I didn't want to use pen. It was faster, my thoughts came out much differently in text than in pen format producing different styles, because I could write as fast as I thought on the computer but I couldn't think as fast I wrote with a writing device.

WELL then My computer crashed....I took this as a sign of the end of the world, all my stories hundreds more of them that I had spent years gathering up were gone and at this point I was just (11 or so). My writing was all I really had that was a means for escape and my dog tripped over the PC and well...that was gone. I didn't have discs and usb things weren't invented them (EDIT: They were invented in 1996 apparently, but I didn't have access to them or know they existed until about fairly recently, and got my first one this year.).

I had cheap paper and pen to write down all the stories but I couldn't copy them all down, so I ended up self-destructing them and...that's another story. After that I could never rely on PC's again.

So I went back into the 'pen' and 'paper' mostly which is why I have 'hundreds' of pen/paper stories right now, written after the 'big crash'.

Then I slowly began to trust the computer again and began to write on my handy dandy new PC. Years later it crashed taking all my shit, and by this point usbs were invented (it stopped reading discs), but I didn't have a credit card to order one online and I didn't leave the house, and didn't know anyone at the time.

So I began writing stories and then typing up, but then we had a huge flood. And my favourite written story of all time was stacked on a pile on the floor in my 'stories I'm working on pile' since that's where I tended to work, only to be swept away in that flood (minor flood only affecting my working area during a short heavy storm).

So now I never write out a story. I use the internet mostly as a tool, I back up my writings in several different email accounts from several different servers, sometimes to several different accounts on the same server+.

I send my stories to my laptop and my pc, I also have it saved in my usb, and several of my different User Accounts (in Windows) had it, when I had a linux laptop (very temporarily it stopped functioning), I was backing it up on 2 different laptops and the pc.

I utilize every back up tool imaginable, and I back up and save compulsively. I now also utilize the 'tmp' documents. Because at one point I was saving compulsively and before I had backed up anything, some sort of outage occurred and everything I had saved in one day had completely vanished. Fortunately I was able to sort through about a hundred tmp files and found the correct version and all that was lost was found. So now I don't delete those files I thought were just cluttering up my space.

Last edited by Ravenius; 06-12-2010 at 12:04 AM..
Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Arvik (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 8

I wrote my first novella in pen. Since I always had my notebook with me, I could write absolutely anywhere I wanted. I loved that.

However, I type a heck of a lot faster than I write. I also tend to get hand cramps after prolonged periods with a pen; my fine motor skills were delayed as a kid. While I like to do story planning and notes in a notebook (I salivate over fancy notebooks), virtually all my fiction/poetry is on my laptop.

Where in space do I physically park myself to write? Mostly my room. It's quiet, the window's near my desk, and I have a sign I can pull out to warn my family. If the weather's nice I try to get outside. And coffee shops are always fun!

Getting 'er done one word at a time.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 PM
ChaosStar (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4

I stick with the laptop. I've tried writing with pen and paper and I tend to be less efficient.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
JoeShaff (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 2

I chiefly write in my living room or wherever is quiet. If my fiancee is watching TV, I put on headphones or go up into the office to write. Any other place and I just can't concentrate.

One of the worst I found was writing at work. Everyone is so fascinated by the act of writing that they all have to look over your shoulder, ask what you're doing, what it's about, and if you can read a piece of it.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Spresso (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 10

I tend to go all around my house with my laptop to write. The kitchen table, couch, and my bed are my favorite perches. My only problem is the laptop getting really hot and scorching my lap. I sometimes go for a notebook if there's absolutely NOTHING else and I'm really on a roll with my ideas (almost never) but my handwriting is awful so I tend to avoid that.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Redlorry

I write on paper when there is no PC available that will either accept my falsh drive or I can e-mail myself. When I went on holiday I took a fresh notepad and pens.

As for where, now I have the laptop, normally on the sofa or at the dining table. OR if seeing peace from the children and my husband is happy for me to skulk off, I go to our bedroom and sit on the floor with the laptop on the bed.

Occasionally I'll still use a pad and paper to work stuff out, particularly poetry is I am looking at meter and rhymes. Then you'll find me with pencil, eraser and theasurus as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:29 AM
tchoppy (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

I write on my computer. A long time ago I hand wrote everything and talk about giving your hand writer's cramp...lol. And I also tried a typewriter, but I love the computer the most.

I use microsoft word and just save after completing a page. I also keep all my stories on a flashdrive so if ever I want access to them I have it.

The typewriter way and the handwritten way are fine, but now I'm in the process of typing them out to submit them, and it's a huge pain in the butt.

Normally I write at home in my room, or suntanning outside. I have also written in my car on a long trip (as a passenger). I generally keep a notebook by my bed too as I've been known to have some interesting dreams that might make good stories eventually. But I like the internet age, and eventually I'll create a profile online to host all my stories.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Morogo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Morogo Send a message via Yahoo to Morogo Send a message via Skype™ to Morogo

I handwrite nearly everything now, mostly in the hope that one day all the shorts will eventually order themselves into a story... but I'm not counting on it! XD
November is the only month when all the writing I do is on computer, (and the only time I actually finish a story XD but that's a whole other kettle of fish)
Had one too many incidents where the either the flashdrives broken, or stories have just disappeared. :/

I can only write in my room, at night, because I am uber paranoid. XD
Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM
[audra|june] (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I usually write on the computer but when I get random urges to write in the middle of the night I write on paper with a colorful pen
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM
RaineDrop (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 45

I absolutely write on paper first and as I type it onto the computer I inevitably change things as I go along. It's a great editing process for me and it just feels more natural to let my thoughts flow with a pen first.
<<

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe