WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

what house rules do you have and why?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
#6.
now that is a nice rounded pair number.
I am a pair number too. I am the second child in a line of four actually three if you count twins as one.
it must have been one busy household your house when growing up.
also it is interesting that your mum was neat but your wife is the total opposite.
I am bit scatty but I like tidying.
with regards to your daughters you have opportunities to ensure that they are like you learn from you.
you cant blame your wife I don't think.
time is precious and so we all have an opportunity each to ensure we spend well no matter how hard the situation is.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 09-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I am a pair number too. I am the second child in a line of four actually three if you count twins as one.
also it is interesting that your mum was neat but your wife is the total opposite.
with regards to your daughters you have opportunities to ensure that they are like you learn from you.
time is precious and so we all have an opportunity each to ensure we spend well no matter how hard the situation is.
Time is eternal. Life on earth with loved ones is "precious." Although life with fools is "a drag."
Old 09-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Time is eternal. Life on earth with loved ones is "precious." Although life with fools is "a drag."
life with fools is not a drag it is a brag with an experience twist.
it makes us realise who we are.
I like a fool if the fool tells me something about me.
time is eternal if we are.
time is subjective if we are not.
time is precious and we should realise the potential of it to spend it well and remember every bit of it.
time is memory.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 09-04-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 09-04-2014, 01:25 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

We had a very busy -- and noisy -- household. All but one us played an instrument. We rarely fought and we had a very strict no tattling policy. Good times, and we're still all very close.

No, my wife's not very neat, but she has so many other great qualities. It's a very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. I can handle stepping around a few unmentionables. And don't get me wrong, she's not a total slob or anything.

As far as my girls are concerned, I don't "blame" my wife. But you really can't expect them to be neat when mom isn't. Kids are going to take the path of least resistance. But they're good kids and if they turn out like their mom then I couldn't hope for anything better.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 09-04-2014 at 01:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeMatt For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

life with fools is not a drag it is a brag with an experience twist.
it makes us realise who we are.
a like a fool if the fool tells me something about me.
time is eternal if we are.
time is subjective if we are not.
time is precious and we should realise the potential of it to spend well and remember every bit of it.
time is memory.
Writer's Beat is eternal with you around. Without you, it's a drag.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Nacia (09-04-2014)
Old 09-05-2014, 07:52 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Originally Posted by Front&Centre View Post
How do you fall in?
The seat is up but there's still the rim of the bowl.
I actually didn't even have a toilet seat in my student flat for like four months. I got a cold arse, but I didn't "fall in".
And I'm assuming you can see the toilet before you sit down? Forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but like... Can't you just... Put the seat down?
Is that really what all the fuss is about?
I'm being serious here, we all have blind spots.

I beg to differ ;D
Before my menfolk were trained to put down the plastic rim piece after taking a leak most especially in the middle of night , unsuspecting me would come along into my bathroom, not their's in the dark of course, not thinking anyone would leave a rim piece up. It meant right into the toilet with my dierre', cold wet nothing to grab onto but thin air and a few choice words, quite a picture huh? Sidenote, I was raised in a house of all women.
I think the unsuspecting part is key to the scenario.

Now, no worries after 35 years with the same thoughtful guy who is a quick study. I think his Mama had something to do with that.

As far as the lid, I don't like that down, don't like that moment of not knowing what could be in the covered toilet. most especially in a public restroom. So our rule is rim rump piece down, toilet lid up, and please clean the tinkle splashes if you've left any behind or poop slides
Old 09-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 635

I think the unsuspecting part is key to the scenario.
That exactly. I do see the toilet before I see down, but I don't look at it in detail. The 'put on the light, turn around, pull pants down, sit down' part is automatic, and since I'm not used to it being up I don't expect it to be. Which is when I tumble backwards. Falling isn't the right word, and I've never ended up with a wet bottom, but it gives quite a scare. But the big point here being: the seat is usually never up in our house (since Joe asked, the boyfriend sits), so when it is I'm an unsuspecting victim
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Pandora (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 261

Yes think how automatic it is really. The wet bottom comes from no 'save' whatsoever, a bit of a drunk plunk . . . ha!

I was also taught that is good etiquette, it is just more pleasing to look at, well as pleasing as a toilet can be. We recently shopped for one and I thought in the almost 60 years I've been alive could they not find something better looking? I guess we aren't really supposed to notice it.

The tradition here in the South is to keep the bathroom door shut at all times, even when not occupied. That was something to get used to after our move. The kids would have friends over and I thought my gosh did they fall in? so long in the bathroom. In fact they did their business and was out, I hadn't noticed. It's weird when you have to knock and then it is empty, better that though than the opposite. We just leave the door open, oops another rule. I wracked my bran for rules and could think of none except that darn toilet.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Front&Centre (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 199

Okay, I think I understand.
I can't say I have a particular issue with it, personally, but I understand how if you're assuming the seat will be down that you might just sit without checking, and that could be annoying, but for me, I never assume that the toilet seat will be down. It's like 50/50 if it's up or down, so I put it down if it's up, and leave it down if it's down.

It's curious how it's become such a massive cliche, I still think.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Darron (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
#6.
#6? How does that feel? I am the oldest of 6. Myself, four sisters, and then a little brother 15 years younger than me. It was ridiculous growing up because I was basically expected to be a parent too.

Growing up, my mom's little house rule when Survivor was just becoming a thing was Pizza Hut Thursdays and to take the phone off the hook (seriously) during that hour and god help you if you tried to get her attention.
Partially from her, my own rule (not so much a hard one) is to make sure if you leave a room you turn the lights off. As far as the toilet seat talk above, growing up with 5 girls in the house taught me well to just close the seat all the way without thinking otherwise.

Sometimes the world doesn't need a hero, sometimes it needs a monster.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 918

Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
Writer's Beat is eternal with you around. Without you, it's a drag.
Shelly that is very nice of you to say that
WBeats would not be the same without you too.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Shelly that is very nice of you to say that
WBeats would not be the same without you too.
Tks, Nacia. You are #1.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe