WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Back to Childhood

Old 07-25-2016, 04:11 PM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8
Icon7 Back to Childhood

This is just a little creativity exercise that I came up with.

Imagine, if you will, that you could go back to being a child with your present life experience; in other words, you've returned to your childhood with everything that you know now. It would be a second chance at growing up.

Is there something that you would do differently?

Is there something fun you'd be free to do that would make you self-conscious as an adult?

You would have a chance to have double the experience in your skills, and more time to live. What do you think would happen in that time?

Now, I remember in elementary school, there was often a lot of drama on the playground. Unfortunately, I remember that I was sometimes part of it. I remember thinking about that years ago when I was probably in my pre-teens. I thought of some better words I could have used. That was a long time ago, so I can't remember the exact scenario that I rehearsed, but I would probably try to solve the conflicts.

I would feel free to build houses out of cardboard boxes. That was always so much fun! I would be able to fit in a cardboard house without getting stuck.

I can imagine skipping grades in school which would be pretty neat. I would become an author early in life. I would grow in my singing and performing skills, and maybe play Annie on Broadway, or something like that.

So, that's how I imagine a second chance at childhood for myself. I have to say, it used to be so much easier to imagine these things. I look forward to seeing your brain-stormings.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-25-2016 at 04:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket Leaf For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 06:07 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 356

Originally Posted by Cricket Leaf View Post
This is just a little creativity exercise that I came up with.

Imagine, if you will, that you could go back to being a child with your present life experience; in other words, you've returned to your childhood with everything that you know now. It would be a second chance at growing up.

Is there something that you would do differently?

Is there something fun you'd be free to do that would make you self-conscious as an adult?

You would have a chance to have double the experience in your skills, and more time to live. What do you think would happen in that time?

Now, I remember in elementary school, there was often a lot of drama on the playground. Unfortunately, I remember that I was sometimes part of it. I remember thinking about that years ago when I was probably in my pre-teens. I thought of some better words I could have used. That was a long time ago, so I can't remember the exact scenario that I rehearsed, but I would probably try to solve the conflicts.

I would feel free to build houses out of cardboard boxes. That was always so much fun! I would be able to fit in a cardboard house without getting stuck.

I can imagine skipping grades in school which would be pretty neat. I would become an author early in life. I would grow in my singing and performing skills, and maybe play Annie on Broadway, or something like that.

So, that's how I imagine a second chance at childhood for myself. I have to say, it used to be so much easier to imagine these things. I look forward to seeing your brain-stormings.
I'd bet on the outcome of sports that I know the outcome of, and use this money to invest in my new childhood friends Bill, Steve, Mark, Warren etc and then use the money from this investment to enable a greater amount of agency for all individuals - that is make sure people cannot do what I just did in a much fairer society.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
Cricket Leaf (07-26-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 01:24 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

thus the goblin stood their reading through the instructions of his newly arrived time machine, a gift from some well meaning friend he imagined, yet hardly what he had expected to find at this point, and somehow it all just seemed too easy, anywhere, anytime, and with anyone too, tempting, before he sighed aloud "...ah now, to relive that past is in effect to kill off one's recollection of it, plus it cheapens the present too, though admittedly I would have so much liked just to say "thank you" to those back then, if that were at all possible I mean, but that past remains that cemetery there, where yes at times it's right to visit one's past and pay one's respects too as if to relate to them "no not forgotten now", ah but to actually live with the dead only quickens our joining them I suppose, thus ours is to live with the living still...", as he neatly placed the instructions back into the box and closed the lid tight wondering if someone else perhaps would like it as a present then

http://www.writerscafe.org/uploads/r...4c988bdc7b.jpg

Last edited by fleamailman; 07-30-2016 at 04:47 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Cricket Leaf (07-29-2016), PickleBottom (07-31-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hello fleamilman,

I read your post a few times so that I would get a thorough understanding of what you were saying. You make a great point that time really is as it's meant to be. Yes, going back to being a kid does seem like fun, but it would definitely be too good to be true. It's fun to imagine, though.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-29-2016 at 09:41 AM..
Old 07-29-2016, 07:30 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi flea. I love your posts and always read them. This one was especially good. Sometimes the present moment is hard to find, but worthwhile when found. I often find myself ping-ponging between what I know from the past, then out to plans for the future. Of course, this is taking place in the present, but I'm not aware of that. Whenever I get lost in time, I sit down, design and draw a new maze. That centers me in the moment. Keep you posts coming... wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:28 AM
leila

good post flea. I think I was needing that kind of advice right now.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:59 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

("...been overworked and under the weather too..." related the goblin who hadn't written much of late and didn't want the hijack this thread neither, before adding "...naah, I can't write as you humans do now, but I always enjoy your company if you would only care to post with me awhile, well we could just continue this little "journey to self" in posts so to speak...", at which point he held up his hand to Cricket Leaf, smiling "...take me where you wouldst then, the others here know me already and feed me much to go upon, where those who don't know me, nor of my kind, might think that writing was somehow that book writing alone, whereas in truth more people actually read short interactive content today, which are what these posts are I guess, and thus all you have to do my dear human...", the goblin paused not sure about it though, he then continued on by saying "...is just to pull those readers to your pen in your post as it were...", oh yes, it seemed that goblins were not to be trusted, yet his open hand still rested there in the air)

Last edited by fleamailman; 07-30-2016 at 01:08 AM..
Old 07-31-2016, 12:18 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hey flea. If we lived in the same town I'd drag you to a hangout bar and get you drunk to see if there are two people (two minds) living inside your head. Maybe even more than two? But, alas, I'll have to hoist a few to you and ponder the question. As usual, you dazzle with your words and I appreciate it. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to wrc For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 01:31 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

("...ever think about that alter ego of yours wrc..." smiled the goblin in reply aware that everyone had one then, only that it was fettered by one's dailylife plus hardly anyone knew quite how to abide with it, so they suppressed it instead, meanwhile the old man occasionally stretched out his hand upon the bistro table to the awaiting coffee cup before typing on in a brightening day whose morning's rain had been temporary relief but where now the rising temperature would no doubt turn everything sticky shortly, the goblin for his part let the old man get on with it though, before smiling to the words "...naah, you can be your external whenever, it's just a matter of putting aside your pen letting the external take sway once more, no the real question is whether you can live your internal too, where what you write writes you back and where there's a "journey to self" for anyone foolhardy enough to give their alter ego such leeway here...", the old man looked up at the goblin eyeing him, each in their respective worlds as it were, and neither wishing to be the other now)

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-01-2016 at 04:15 AM..
Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
(...at which point he held up his hand to Cricket Leaf, smiling "...take me where you wouldst then, the others here know me already and feed me much to go upon, where those who don't know me, nor of my kind, might think that writing was somehow that book writing alone, whereas in truth more people actually read short interactive content today, which are what these posts are I guess, and thus all you have to do my dear human...", the goblin paused not sure about it though, he then continued on by saying "...is just to pull those readers to your pen in your post as it were...", oh yes, it seemed that goblins were not to be trusted, yet his open hand still rested there in the air)
O_O ...I wasn't sure at first whether to say this on not, but... was that an initiation?

This thread went from sentimental thoughts about being a child again, to a topic on alter-egos. It's almost like it entered the Twilight zone. Seems as though things can get pretty... interesting here on the Writer's Café.
Cheers!

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-31-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default note to fleaman

("...ever think about that alter ego of yours wrc..." smiled the goblin in reply aware that everyone had one then, only that it was fettered by one's dailylife plus hardly anyone knew quite how to abide with it, so they suppressed it instead, meanwhile the old man occasionally stretched out his hand upon the bistro table to the awaiting coffee cup before typing on in a brightening day whose morning's rain had been temporary relief but where now the rising temperature would no doubt turn everything sticky shortly, the goblin for his part let the old man get on with it though, before smiling to the words "...naah, you can be your external whenever, it's just a matter of putting aside your pen letting the external take sway once more, no the real question is whether you can live your internal too, where what you write writes you back and where there's a "journey to self" for anyone foolhardy enough to give their alter ego such leeway here...", the old man looked up at the goblin eyeing him, each in their respective worlds then, and neither wishing to be the other now)
Howdy flea(s).
As usual, you continue to dazzle and trigger deep thinking. The alter ego concept has fascinated me for years. I read your post 3 Xs and immediately went to Wiki to research it.

It was like going into a room full of thinkers who had contributed so much to what I made of myself. I felt very welcome there. It was a joyous reunion.

In my checkered past I have had and been many personas. In teen hood, I was an atheist selling bibles to believers. Later I joined the Army and realized I was a non-conformist. (We had a messy divorce with both sides treating each other badly.) Over time, I’ve been a beatnik, hippie, intellectual, student and teacher, a business capitalist (with too much empathy), an anti-capitalist (I embraced my empathy), a full time writer, a recluse, an expat, and now I am Popeye. “I yam what I yam and I ain’t what I ain’t.” (Sorry for this: I’m also not what I ate.)

Making friends with my alter ego helped my writing career. I still do a written self-interview to discover the differences between the lizard mind (genes and culture influences) and my other mind (altered by education and self-analysis). I also interview the characters I create for the stories I tell to develop that same insights. That is, I force them to interview themselves with the accent on their existential truth. This causes their dialogue to be true to their nature and I recommend this activity to all writers.

Now that I’m in the dusk of my life I’ve never been more happy and alive. And the writing is better, too.
So, keep your posts coming because I’m one of your fans and I leave every reading a better person than I was before. wrc

Last edited by wrc; 07-31-2016 at 11:17 AM..
Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

("...the internal forms while external crumbles away..." repeated the goblin torn between replying directly to wrc's post or to Cricket Leaf's here in his acknowledgement of their posts, wondering too whether that divergence was intentional as asked then, or whether it was just a consequence of being within a virtual reality over the years, then adding "...perhaps then, "virtual reality" has been around a long time, only that prior to the computer age it had been known or addressed by its other name of "fiction"...", the hour was so very early now, the window of the goblin's apartment let in those noises of the city below with a punctuated silence that contrasted well with the clock on the wall who slowly drummed away its passing moments, somehow the goblin lived with his ghosts at this point, where he could preoccupy his mind with the task in hand but those recollections would only appear in unguarded moments, sighing "...much like you say then wrc, to write is to play with one's ghosts in a twilight zone here, just ever that "journey to self" in posts in other words, yet my life would be too rudimentary without this feedback loop between my pen and its recollection, though the consequences are not those of my intentions here, no they're just paving stones to it...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-02-2016 at 04:21 AM..
Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

thus the goblin stood their reading through the instructions of his newly arrived time machine, a gift from some well meaning friend he imagined, yet hardly what he had expected to find at this point, and somehow it all just seemed too easy, anywhere, anytime, and with anyone too, tempting, before he sighed aloud "...ah now, to relive that past is in effect to kill off one's recollection of it, plus it cheapens the present too, though admittedly I would have so much liked just to say "thank you" to those back then, if that were at all possible I mean, but that past remains that cemetery there, where yes at times it's right to visit one's past and pay one's respects too as if to relate to them "no not forgotten now", ah but to actually live with the dead only quickens our joining them I suppose, thus ours is to live with the living still...", as he neatly placed the instructions back into the box and closed the lid tight wondering if someone else perhaps would like it as a present then

http://www.writerscafe.org/uploads/r...4c988bdc7b.jpg
Good answer Flea, but what if your life was a post, and you wanted to edit it *

*Apologies
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
fleamailman (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 04:46 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Good answer Flea, but what if your life was a post, and you wanted to edit it * *Apologies
("...just pain to open the eyes I guess where part of the pain is not being able to go back today..." replied the goblin who when faced with a post he couldn't edit directly reposted it elsewhere again thus editing it that way, adding "...if history repeats then one can learn by it still, whereas if it doesn't repeat itself then one can grieve over it instead, but what value would this life have if one could simply edit it away each time, naah the time machine could take me back perhaps, but I could never be youthful again for however young I might look on the outside, on the inside I know too much about the consequences my actions to be a child in my childhood now...")
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (08-02-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

("...just pain to open the eyes I guess where part of the pain is not being able to go back today..." replied the goblin who when faced with a post he couldn't edit directly reposted it elsewhere again thus editing it that way, adding "...if history repeats then one can learn by it still, whereas if it doesn't repeat itself then one can grieve over it instead, but what value would this life have if one could simply edit it away each time, naah the time machine could take me back perhaps, but I could never be youthful again for however young I might look on the outside, on the inside I know too much about the consequences my actions to be a child in my childhood now...")
That's actually a really good point. I mean, don't we learn from our mistakes? If I could edit my mistakes, I probably wouldn't be the same person I am today. Learning never ends, and that in of itself is something that I keep learning over and over again.

Would making a house out of cardboard boxes be as fun as it used to be? If I am nostalgic about something, would I like it as much as before? Well, everything isn't new like it used to be. Time felt so slow when I was a little kid because everything was new and exiting. Nowadays time moves so fast.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 08-01-2016 at 08:07 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket Leaf For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Elison Matioli (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The child life is awesome . No tension . just enjoy with your toys . My Favorite toy name that time is Superman . Time changes so fast . Now i am looking for my new baby name . Searched many sites and founded these English boys names. I selected some like James, Oliver, Michael, Jimmy , Andrew . It is good name collections. This website called babynology is good in naming
Old 08-02-2016, 05:02 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

And this leads me down further paths, and I do go on, apparently according to a snippet of information I read this morning, using Game Theory and knowing what people's interest are, and how much influence they have (and maybe a few other factors?) - can predict a person's likely actions (without knowing anything of their history) - that is, in a chess game a person can view a board towards the end of the game and predict the most likely moves the person will use without knowing every move they have made up to that point. My feeling is the likely means the person is behaving as a "rational chess player", if they weren't then presumably the history would be important.

Therefore, if an "ontologically rational" (a person whose rational has never changed - like a perfectly programmed fundamental religious person) person went back to their childhood and maintained their interests and their influence (regardless of how much more they know), would they more likely turn out to be the same person? (Similarly, a person waking up in the morning (presumably) has more knowledge than what they did yesterday yet still (presumably) act in a "rational" manner and therefore end up back in the same position that night.)

Therefore, if all else is equal, would it simply be what was rational then is irrational now to make a different person?
-George Bernard Shaw
anna (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:11 PM
anna (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 13

https://vimeo.com/147458905

this is post 8

Last edited by anna; 08-02-2016 at 10:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:12 PM
anna (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 13

this is post 9
Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 PM
anna (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 13

this is post 10
Old 08-02-2016, 10:14 PM
anna (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 13

ah, post 11 ... pictures and videos she mused, then she decided to take the video out of post 11 and position it snuggly in post 8 after all.

Last edited by anna; 08-02-2016 at 10:21 PM..
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

("...what a clever girl..." went the goblin suspecting anna to be one now, loving that stream too, before picking up of Pickle's conjecture, adding "...it's as you say then Pickle, we become ever more ourselves as we live on, perhaps we ingrain ourselves with our own behaviours, even to the point where the old dog can't learn to be to be otherwise, that youthful recklessness giving way to someone in fear of the consequences...", no the goblin still couldn't quite bring himself to try out that time machine there, sighing "...and a useless machine it is then, I mean either one is youthful with no use for a time machine for the day to day gambles one takes anyway, or one is old living in fear of that which might have dire consequences upon all that one has grown so used to...", where the present seemed like the devil one knew clearly enough, no he was in no mood to swap his known present for a present he didn't know)

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-03-2016 at 04:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 01:41 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

("...what a clever girl..." went the goblin suspecting anna to be one now, loving that stream too, before picking up of Pickle's conjecture, adding "...it's as you say then Pickle, we become ever more ourselves as we live on, perhaps we ingrain ourselves with our own behaviours, even to the point where the old dog can't learn to be to be otherwise, that youthful recklessness giving way to someone in fear of the consequences...", no the goblin still couldn't quite bring himself to try out that time machine there, sighing "...and a useless machine it is then, I mean either one is youthful with no use for a time machine for the day to day gambles one takes anyway, or one is old living in fear of that which might have dire consequences upon all that one has grown so used to...", where the present seemed like the devil one knew clearly enough, no he was in no mood to swap his known present for a present he didn't know)
It makes an interesting spin on the many worlds hypothesis - speaking of which why is the person of this reality making the choices that split the universe what about the persons of the other universe?
-George Bernard Shaw
fleamailman (08-05-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

It makes an interesting spin on the many worlds hypothesis - speaking of which why is the person of this reality making the choices that split the universe what about the persons of the other universe?
Further to this, think of life as a game, according to Nash's equilibrium theory an equilibrium will exist (and many such), in this particular life a person has already or is already gravitating towards such an equilibrium, my hypothesis would be that the experiment is more sensitive to the initial conditions relative to later events.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 3,601

("...well now Pickle, I can't really speak for those other mes in various parallel universes caused by some misuse of that time travel there..." replied the goblin clearly worried now that if his captain ever got her hands on the time machine then heaven forbid that she'd duplicate herself resulting in yet more household chores still, sighing "...I mean it's bad enough as it is but what if those other goblins were just as lazy as I am, no I think there should be something written into the warranty there stating "warning creating parallel universes in one's present can seriously spoil one's online escape from housework"...", where if in case one had accidentally created a parallel universe not quite to one's liking then could simply turn the time machine back to the point prior to that point, thus recreating the present again, save that in likelihood that present would hardly be exactly the same present one knew before, leading to the goblin other fear that dilemma the happier the outcome became the less likely it would be recollected, asking "...if I learn from my mistakes then what would I learn if I never made any...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 08-06-2016 at 05:01 AM..
Old 08-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Djafkri (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 65

Only with current technology but not really.
I may only be 5.5 feet but it totally pwns being smaller and having to deal with all those issues again. So even if I knew what I know now, how would that help? I would probably just be a total and seriously unpopular geek.

K. So if I had to go back, there are a few things that would change up:

1. I know one girl I would never have tried to impress. Now she's a total PITA.
2. Can I take some music CD's?
3. I'd organize a new band like Twenty One Pilots and get famous.
4. I'd explain how they could make the 1st iPhone and get famous.
5. I'd skip school the day I got seriously slammed.
6. I'd totally ignore Justin Bieber.
7. I'd bypass all the parental controls on my PC.

But I'd still have to deal with retro music and retro tech. Old heavy monitors and TV's, slow PC's, zero really cool toys, 8 MP cameras, Game Cube issues, a fractured leg (unless I skipped school), and serious jet lag. And an old phobia. When I was little, I was seriously freaked that I may never get any taller and that took about a billion years. Way too many issues to want to deal with all that again... just saying.

Well, so maybe these dudes didn't have so many issues?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY

Last edited by Djafkri; 08-07-2016 at 06:34 PM..
Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 AM
anthonymhenley (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I really don't know why, but this post made me sad and happy at the same time. The thing I'm regretting about my childhood is dropping my violin lessons. I know that people can learn in every age but I just can't find time for it now.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe