WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Tips for Intersexual Relations

Old 01-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Lin

No, and it was never about liberation, either. It was about politics, pure and simple.
A lot of it has blown over. The seventies were a nightmare. It was scary even trying to speak to a woman.

Not so much now. Apparently, they all read 50 Shades of Grey and think it's a good idea to submerge you ego to some abusive asshole.

Thing is, women are horribly mistreated world wide. I tend to think working to try to keep women from being raped to death and stoned for adultery and kiled or acid-sprayed for "honor" mean more than niceties of speech.
Not sure how to go about it. Probably just eliminating any male with a rag wrapped around his head would be the best first move, but then you get a bunch of namby-pambies on your back for THAT.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

True, but if it's not egalitarian at heart it's not really feminism. It's just hijacking the term to push a different kind of bigotry. Similar to how racism against white people is still racism. You can't call yourself a supporter of equal rights (which is what feminism is), and then say "except for those people or these circumstance." Then you're not a feminist (or an egalitarian); you're just a bigot, no better than that Lin guy.

I still can't tell if that guy is a cunning satire of self-important, ignorant rednecks, or just actually is one.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

It's best to assume that it's satire.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 AM
beefheart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 164

Dear Lin,
you are an idiot who never gets laid.
Fuck off.
Regards,
Beer Fart.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Jats (Offline)

Thanks 1,142

...what? You mean there are women here...

Pic

Last edited by Loz; 01-15-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM
Lin

So beefy,
is that a poem you want critiqued?
It's probably better than most of your work, but could still use some tweaking.
My girlfriend thinks it's adorable.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Jats (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM
beefheart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 164

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
So beefy,
is that a poem you want critiqued?
It's probably better than most of your work, but could still use some tweaking.
My girlfriend thinks it's adorable.

Dear Lin,
your girl probably looks like a horse.
Also, at least she has the sense not to marry you.

-Beer Fart.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I think inability to comprehend irony should be classed as a mental disability and treated by psychiatrists.
This is brilliant.
If they ever stop worrying about trigger fingers over here and start worrying about what triggers the fingers I am going to bring this up to the powers that be.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

I'm thinking that it must have been something like this at the Algonquin Round Table.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Lin

Yeah, you get around poets and you get a lot of that deep human insight and evocative wordplay, all right.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
courtney_autumn (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Oh goodie! A bunch of men defining feminism for us!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

Originally Posted by courtney_autumn View Post
Actually, I'm just para-phrasing what I've learned as part of my anthropology course, where the history and ideology of feminism and "gender studies" plays a large role.

Before you ask, all of my lecturers on the topic were women, though really that is irrelevant because feminism is a sociopolitical ideology. Being a man does not preclude you from understanding it, and being a woman does not automatically make you an expert on it.

In fact, I would go as far to say that if you really believe a man's definition of feminism is flawed solely because it is coming from a man, then you probably aren't a feminist. You're a misandrist. Which, to any actual feminist, is as reprehensible as any misogyny.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Lin

Who else would be qualified to define it?

Aren't women the ones who define "male chauvinism"?

As usual, femme-nazis get this all backwards. It's kind of like sexuality.
What the hell do straight women know about how women behave during sex? Men do.
And vice versa.

But really, who do you have to be to be able to see that any given movement is not eqalitarian, but political? Especially if you're the one it's aimed at?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

But really, who do you have to be to be able to see that any given movement is not eqalitarian, but political? Especially if you're the one it's aimed at?
It's a fallacy to conflate the feminist political movement with feminist ideology. They're quire different. Feminism as a concept is fairly universal: equality for women and an end to gender-based discrimination, at its core. But as a political movement, it can vary: for example, American feminist activists would have very different goals from Bangladeshi feminist activists.

In short, I agree with you, but it's only because everything in America is politicised and skewed. Not because feminists lack the capacity for egalitarianism.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Lin

Actually, pretty much anything that ends is "ism" is political and fucked-up.
(Except priapism)
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

Nah, priapism is obviously a manifestation of cultural oversexualisation propagated by the profit-hungry liberal media. They keep you in a constant state of arousal so you're more susceptible to sexy beer commercials.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Lin

But Bangladeshi's aren't "feminists", are they? They might be struggling for equality, but don't call themselves that.

One thing I got a real kick out of back during the height of femmenazism was chicks in countries where they REALLY have it bad, looking at American women--the most spoiled and pampered chicks on earth, and the second most obnoxious--and wondering what the fuck THEY had to bitch about.

Feminism as such, the whole NO sort of shit we saw in the US was never about equality, it was about claiming priviledge.
Shit, women aren't even a minority. Thought they claimed that status. All they really ever had to do was vote together.

Then came the barracudas who would use their sexuality for advantage on one side, then yield legalism of "minority'" on the other to gain advantage.
It was pathetic.
Erin Brockovitch "They're called tits".

Women should be drafted, but should be able to be in the military as long as they can choose what they do and be able to get out any time they want.
Etc.
Just power plays. They'd have shit a brick if they had to deal with what most women in the world deal with. Or had to cope with Latin American, Asian, African, Mid-Eastern, or European men.

It was all styled after leftist and civil rights confrontational type rhetoric. But ignoring the advantages women held.

I shouldn't even get started on this crap. I was single and dating during the seventies in two very liberal, femno cities. Still have the scars.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Lin

By the way, I get a kick out of those antequated old-lefty concepts you toss around. It's so quaint. Kind of like listening to some aged bolshevik
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

My last comment was a joke.

I'm not even a "lefty", at least not by the extremely over-simplified standards of American politics. I'm just educated enough to know that notions of race, gender, nationality, ethnicity, etc. are all arbitrary social constructs that, if problematic, should be discarded or changed. Outside of the USA, this isn't a politically-aligned viewpoint. It's scientific consensus.

I read your bio; you seem like a pretty worldly guy. I suspect you only pretend to be culturally ignorant to bait lefties into arguments for sport.

But I'll bite anyway: yes, there are Bangladeshi feminists. The reason I mentioned Bangladesh at all was because we had a guest lecturer from there. A very intelligent, reasonable, down-to-Earth Muslim woman.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 PM
Lin

I don't pretend to be "culturally ignorant'. I just have my own ideas about culture.

Let me ask you this. Did that Bangladeshi woman call herself a "feminist"?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

Classic case of judging a whole global movement by its worst strands.

Like judging civil rights or anti-racism by the nation of Islam.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Emerald (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 27

I don't really know what your ideas about culture are, but judging from comments like this:
Probably just eliminating any male with a rag wrapped around his head would be the best first move, but then you get a bunch of namby-pambies on your back for THAT.
I think "ignorant" is being pretty charitable. I mean, there is zero difference between saying that, and saying "how could anyone practice Christianity after hearing about all those children who were raped by priests? I think anyone who wears a cross should be taken out and shot for supporting pedophilia."

And yes, she was a second-wave feminist, one of the women who helped found Bangladesh's National Women Worker's Trade Union Centre. What, did you really think feminism is an isolated American thing? Or did you think that no women in Bangladesh can pick up and read a book?

I think you'll be disappointed to find that the rest of the world isn't a whole lot different from the West. A friend of mine is an Islamic computer scientist from Saudi Arabia, studying in Ireland. We talk about books and movies. She wears her hijab to class. It looks cute on her.
This is the 21st century.

That's not to say there isn't horrible things that happen to people in some places. But to be honest, I've been hearing a lot more horror stories coming out of American lately than anywhere else...

Last edited by Emerald; 01-16-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Lin

The question was, did she CALL HERSELF a "feminist"?

Nothing ignorant about it. It's an opinion that doesn't fit your framework. And not all that serious enough to wrinkle the average non-ignorant person's knickers.
And the sort of thing a lot more women agree with than men.

I alaways get a kick out of being told how ignorant I am of foreign cultures when I've lived most of my life outside the United States. My junior high school had kids from over 30 countries. I get bashed for my ignorance of Cuba in groups in which I'm the only one who's actually been there.

Your Catholic analogy is a poor one by the way. You see footage of a young woman being stoned to death by a mob for running away from a forced marriage to a man who raped her. (And by the way "stoning", like "slavery" is a word that's easy to use without really appreciating what it's like. Being killed by repeated blows from small rocks and debris. Pretty fucking horrible.)
Do you hear of entire Catholic congregations fucking little boys? It's not a case of a few bad assholes being protected by the organization. It's a huge mass psychosis. I'd LOVE to intervene in shit like that. Try reading what women in India are saying about that raped t0 death bus trip. It's societal, cultural. Not an attitude likely to get changed by social action.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 139

Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I don't really know what your ideas about culture are, but judging from comments like this:

. I mean, there is zero difference between saying that, and saying "how could anyone practice Christianity after hearing about all those children who were raped by priests? I think anyone who wears a cross should be taken out and shot for supporting pedophilia."

I believe only someone who wants to see what only he wants to see in others would make a statement as the one above. How can you not recognize (even with all the "literate" crap you swallowed) the difference between good and bad behavior in people, regardless what their professions may be? Your description of a Catholic priest ignores the many who done charitable and compassionate deeds. Some even sacrificed their lives to save others. Why did you make such a foolish statement?

I think the statement comes from a mind totally lacking in understanding and bordering on mentally ill.

Last edited by Cityboy; 01-16-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Lin

GOD, am I digging that! I just can't stop grinning.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

Shelly mate, you've got things all mixed up. You might want to re-read the last few posts.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Lin

MORE unintentional ironic humor. I'm just loving it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by courtney_autumn View Post
I'd say this is a pretty good example of what feminism is these days. Thank you.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 01-16-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 684

Thing is, there's points which are both correct here. Some people take feminism and pervert it for their own egotistical gain.

But I've seen this happen a lot, and it's characterised by this 'feminazi' (which is a really dumb word), used to describe stuck up man haters. I remember watching an interview with Doris Lessing who was claimed by feminists as one of their own. She hit back at them by saying 'the most stupid uneducated nasty woman can rubbish the nicest man and nobody protests.' You can see that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3Iu5UD1E8 She's a pretty cool woman.

There is in some circumstances, generally in the west a corollary of feminism which allowes the needless belittling of men in general. That said, a little blowback after however many hundreds of years of subjugation is hardly something to be crying 'Nazi' over.

There are reasons why feminism exists, good reasons and it really doesn't have to be boxed in and defined by a few untoward run-ins in the 70's. Nawal el Sadaawi, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and Benazir Bhutto - who actually submerged herself in the counterculture movement in the states - are all described as feminists... which after all only means they advocate women's rights and equality to men.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
courtney_autumn (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Originally Posted by JoeMatt View Post
I'd say this is a pretty good example of what feminism is these days. Thank you.
Which would be?...

There is no singular "feminism," not even in academia. But arguably, the one thing all feminist theory and ideology has in common is that is offers an alternative to the dominant, male perspective. So yeah, it's got nothing to do with what is wrong with feminism, or misandry, but is simply a point of view that by definition is different than yours.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction