WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

Nighttime Lullaby

Old 03-07-2017, 04:13 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 214
Default Nighttime Lullaby

l was in latent dreams
ln the bushes behind my stove;
Asking my hidden self—
Was this actually true love?
For all time, much too long;
Can l stay this way, nor move on?
Like sobriquet and etiquette, sermons—
And then, appeared in a semi-circled way
It was this awesome nighttime song
Wasn’t it exactly, without words, bomb?

does it sound beta longer? i could always've added useless chimes. -chat bot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 03-07-2017, 05:12 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
l was in latent dreams
Asking my hidden self—

Well, apparently, when a famous musician of yesteryear or recently (I cannot remember where I heard this story), was asked to lengthen a piece they would merely add several more refrains. The same thing is done in books, arguments and assignments to get to the word limit. Does this add any further value? That is a very good question.

Superficially the answer seems no, but here's another way to look at it. Neurotransmitters that form bridges between neurons in the mind become strengthened with repeated exposure (learning), and therefore if the mind revisits a thought enough times it becomes harder to forget. A song does the same thing, after a while it repeats the chorus. That is why when a person sings a song they literally sing,

"mumble, mumble, nothing in my brain, mumble, say! Mmm Hmm! Mmm Hmm! mumble mumble mumble!

Shake it off! Shake it off!

mumble mumble mumble etc etc"

Note the mumbling happens outside the chorus yet the person more confidently sings the chorus.

Thus, if you would like people to remember your work, definitely repeat it!
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:51 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

l was in latent dreams
Asking my hidden self—

Will this and other pieces of your work be available in the audio book format?
Old 03-09-2017, 07:06 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 214

@nick pierce, thanks for remembering, and no i don't think so lol

@picklebottom, whoa, very insightful. i think a lot about memory and how you can turn losses to wins just thinking about what went wrong. also, i wonder about them pals in the area and if they even have any memory. what with adderall being the low limit, let alone drugs like coke. i have that experience of saying nothing for a song and it's blissful to say nothing in my head sometimes. very responsible of you to notice this info; where'd you read this? lol so interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
The Following User Says Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:24 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

@nick pierce, thanks for remembering, and no i don't think so lol

@picklebottom, whoa, very insightful. i think a lot about memory and how you can turn losses to wins just thinking about what went wrong. also, i wonder about them pals in the area and if they even have any memory. what with adderall being the low limit, let alone drugs like coke. i have that experience of saying nothing for a song and it's blissful to say nothing in my head sometimes. very responsible of you to notice this info; where'd you read this? lol so interesting.
I think I read it in a book called, Memory Traces in the Brain by Alkon, or In Search of Memory by Kandel, I cannot... wait for it... remember!

But that is a very good point on turning losses into wins. Optimisation is actually a nice problem to think about.

I work with this guy and he seems to always be at the left hand side of a Normal Distribution when it comes to luck, and this one time he gave me a job, and I had done this particular job several times in the past without any issue, but with his job I kept on coming across issues in trying to complete it. And in the end I missed the deadline. It was like I inherited his bad luck, in that he could not pass this job onto me as a way to circumvent his luck. He doesn't know this yet, that I missed the deadline, I was going to tell him today as he had just returned from holidays, but he was really depressed, I think he lost his luggage or something, I just did not have the heart to break it to him.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 03-09-2017 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 04:21 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 214

oh, what's your job? and thanks for continually posting btw, i'm trying got work on longer threads, as you know. really here's a thanks button, lol.

💭
PickleBottom (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 AM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

oh, what's your job? and thanks for continually posting btw, i'm trying got work on longer threads, as you know. really here's a thanks button, lol.
I'm in a massive company that churns through administration, the office space is all open plan except for the offices for executives who get doors and windows. God is the CEO, in a Gnosticism sense of the word "God" - a fake imperfect God, rather than the "real" God, He lives on the top floor and I've only seen Him on a few occasions.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-13-2017, 02:45 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

And what sort of dance do you do, our dear chat, to keep a roof over your head?
Old 03-16-2017, 12:49 PM
AlicinMadnessdg (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Well, apparently, when a famous musician of yesteryear or recently (I cannot remember where I heard this story), was asked to lengthen a piece they would merely add several more refrains. The same thing is done in books, arguments and assignments to get to the word limit. Does this add any further value? That is a very good question.

Superficially the answer seems no, but here's another way to look at it. Neurotransmitters that form bridges between neurons in the mind become strengthened with repeated exposure (learning), and therefore if the mind revisits a thought enough times it becomes harder to forget. A song does the same thing, after a while it repeats the chorus. That is why when a person sings a song they literally sing,

"mumble, mumble, nothing in my brain, mumble, say! Mmm Hmm! Mmm Hmm! mumble mumble mumble!

mumble mumble mumble etc etc"

Note the mumbling happens outside the chorus yet the person more confidently sings the chorus.

Thus, if you would like people to remember your work, definitely repeat it!
Interesting, I bet this technique could be utilized, probably already is, for mind control.

I have a tendency to ramble, sometimes incoherently, so maybe by utilizing repetition I can better focus? Maybe I can brainwash myself?
The Following User Says Thank You to AlicinMadnessdg For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by AlicinMadnessdg View Post
Interesting, I bet this technique could be utilized, probably already is, for mind control.

I have a tendency to ramble, sometimes incoherently, so maybe by utilizing repetition I can better focus? Maybe I can brainwash myself?
Ah yes brainwash. People are not too keen on seeing something they love change.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 214

@nick, i do web design, but i'm the real kind.

@picklebottom, thanks for commenting. do you consider yourself brainwashed?

@AlicinMadness, you're so cute haha contemplating your wisdom!

💭
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chat bot For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-18-2017), PickleBottom (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=chat bot

nick, i do web design, but i'm the real kind.

[/QUOTE]

"real kind"?
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

@nick, i do web design, but i'm the real kind.

@picklebottom, thanks for commenting. do you consider yourself brainwashed?

@AlicinMadness, you're so cute haha contemplating your wisdom!
Most likely, have you ever seen The Returned, the real French version rather than the Americans-aren't-allowed-to-be-subjected-to-subtitles version?

Everyone's life gives them a sustained signal or message which people become comfortable with. If a person is removed from this and then return, they can "see" or understand behaviours etc that make no sense, the person performed these without question.

But anywho I know this guy who goes to a gym and this gym has a cutesy 3D animated mascot with a funny voice who advertises the gym. During a workout session, or so he tells me, after about 5 music tracks, this mascot will appear on the screens or through the sound system, and just like in North Vietnamese re-education camps, it will shout random slogans, "Use your towel to wipe the equipment clean", "don't forget to drink some water", "do a different exercise if you are unmotivated", and everyone in the gym will walk around like zombies, wiping equipment clean, drinking water and/or try a different exercise.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=PickleBottom

random slogans, "Use your towel to wipe the equipment clean", "don't forget to drink some water", "do a different exercise if you are unmotivated", and everyone in the gym will walk around like zombies, wiping equipment clean, drinking water and/or try a different exercise.

[/QUOTE]

Thinkin' they (the slogans) are not random.

Reads like a clean environment with fit, hydrated people who listen and respond to prompts.

Hmm, put them in uniforms and ... no, that's been done to death.
PickleBottom (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:22 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

...and exercise!
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

...and exercise!

Got my hand in the air and steppin' like a goose.
PickleBottom (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 08:01 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Got my hand in the air and steppin' like a goose.
That's the spirit!

Incidentally can you believe the legacy of the dinosaurs include geese. How embarrassing! Evidence that evolution is non-directional.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

That's the spirit!

Incidentally can you believe the legacy of the dinosaurs include geese. How embarrassing! Evidence that evolution is non-directional.
Perhaps the indication is direction is less meaningful than manner of locomotion.

Now if I can just get the webbing between my toes to regenerate.
PickleBottom (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Perhaps the indication is direction is less meaningful than manner of locomotion.

Now if I can just get the webbing between my toes to regenerate.
Form w.r.t. function, I can see, but the sexual selection...

Dodos show what affluent society has become, on the island of Mauritius they evolved without any predators, with abundant food and abundant white beaches. As a result they became morbidly obese, inbred and ugly. The kind of sex these birds would have had, I imagine, would be queer. Unlike normal birds (with the exception of ducks who apparently "rape" each other) who press their cloacas together after a bit of a dance, I imagine the dodo would probably use chains and coconuts.

When the Dutch came along and started beating the dodos with clubs the dodos lined up thinking it were a queer sexual fantasy come true.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-22-2017, 07:46 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 214

@picklebottom, you always take my breath away. them dodos are nasty birds. i wish ducks could just line up in my backyard. so many animals that it could've been a prairie. i have like all these birdies, orioles with towheaded hats and like, massive chirping.

@nick, nice to see you try.

💭
PickleBottom (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 376

@picklebottom, you always take my breath away. them dodos are nasty birds. i wish ducks could just line up in my backyard. so many animals that it could've been a prairie. i have like all these birdies, orioles with towheaded hats and like, massive chirping.

@nick, nice to see you try.
Ah yes birds, there was a type of dinosaur, a Troodon, and I believe a Canadian museum person, stated this dinosaur would eventually have evolved into an anthropomorphic dinosaur due to it having a large head:body compared to other dinosaurs.

But the dinosaurs IMO were the issue. If you check out how big they were, they were storing energy without much expenditure or innovation (you can see where this is going), banks do the same thing, they store all the world's tokenistic expression of work (= energy = money) and therefore nothing else can evolve / innovate. Then a calamity comes along, and because most dinosaurs (with the exception of the birds) had not invested in any innovative design all of them were wiped out, including Troodon.

Troodon was handicapped by the dinosaurs not giving it any further energy to evolve a higher calorific consuming brain. If the dinosaurs had done this, the Troodon could have stopped the calamity by sending their dinosaur version of Bruce Willis into outer space with a nuclear warhead.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-23-2017, 02:33 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=chat bot

nick, nice to see you try.

[/QUOTE]

Try?

Try what?

No quote for reference.
This like being in the weeds behind your stove.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry