WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

How Do You Motivate Yourself To Write?

Old 04-06-2016, 08:49 PM
CDawson (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 17
Default How Do You Motivate Yourself To Write?

I call to mind the following quote from Vladimir Nabokov when I'm looking for motivation to write: The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Binx B

I think this is one of those, "if you have to ask..." questions.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:41 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

I find my motivation in the serene beauty of nature, the laughter of children, the soothing fall of a spring rain or the majestic hush of a deep winters snow.

That's all a big fat lie but I was motivated enough to write it!
CDawson (04-08-2016), J.Mariano7 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 02:33 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 348

I tell myself, if I don't write, I'm going to die old and broke and no one will remember me.

If I do write I'll just die old and broke.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
anthonymhenley (10-17-2016), J.Mariano7 (04-28-2016), kravwarrior13 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:10 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 217

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
I tell myself, if I don't write, I'm going to die old and broke and no one will remember me.

If I do write I'll just die old and broke.
Break out the kazoos. We have a winner. Prodigalson for President.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 AM
encynz (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

I don't know , I just let the words reveal the stairs to my heart

Encynz,
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

I don't have any motivation for long giant periods. I mean like a year might pass and nada.

In my early teens I wrote novelettes without knowing the name or caring. But I didn't care if someone read it, or edit the thing, so I lost nothing if I gave up on it.

It was such a nice approach.

Later, with the stressful idea of showing people stuff I wrote, (a nailbiting moment) I wrote shorter stories. This helped me stay motivated. I was no marathon runner in the writing world, but I could sprint!

I remember a friend of mine who watched me sludge through my first novel over a span of 5 years, mostly written in emails, in a notebook, on old phones I'd lost, rewritten, then lost on old lap tops, and rewritten, and lastly finished and loathed, (as it should be), told me that Novels were a marathon.

This is the truth.

And so I started building up for a marathon with longer short stories. 10k words at time. Then 20-30k.

And lastly, I spit out my second novel, even edited it, and published it last year. This was NOT my plan. Because roughly about 15 years had passed since my novelette days. How had a young and early start fallen so behind?

No motivation.

My third novel is finished now and I can honestly say that this thing takes time. Sure, eventually, you can spit out novels like a pez dispenser, or maybe you never will do that, but some can, at some point. But when climbing that first hill of "keeping at it", in solitude, without anyone clapping for you, it's hell. Brutal.

It feels like never-never. Never-never-never.

So, for me, my motivation has been to let the down times come, to purge when I wanted. To realize I would go at my own pace (which is deathly slow) but if I keep at it...that's good enough.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:54 PM
J.Mariano7 (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Elvish Way, King King Ave., 15 Parsecs off the Intergalactical Highway
Thanks 22

I usually do an incentive or something, like a deadline with a harsh punishment (don't ask, I don't like thinking about my dogs). But it's most effective if you make writing habitual, so that even if you don't feel like writing, you'll write because your body just wants to.

*shrugs* I haven't published much yet, so take my advice with a grain of rice.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Hire a Hit Man

The Q is how to motivate writing.

I read this somewhere and thought it be a good set up for a story. Here's the plan:

You hire a professional killer to kill you. You set the location, day and time of your death. But your death can be avoided if you hand the killer a certain number of typed pages. You could make your escape from death a rough draft. You could even have the killer call you daily for the page count.

Of course, this approach to writing motivation doesn't deal with quality. After all you could type "I need 30 pages of typing in 3 days or I'm gonna die." Over and over for 30 pages.

This probably doesn't work for writers thinking of suicide.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:57 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229
Default Hire a Hit Man

The Q is how to motivate writing.

I read this somewhere and thought it be a good set up for a story. Here's the plan:

You hire a professional killer to kill you. You set the location, day and time of your death. But your death can be avoided if you hand the killer a certain number of typed pages. You could make your escape from death a rough draft. You could even have the killer call you daily for the page count.

Of course, this approach to writing motivation doesn't deal with quality. After all you could type "I need 30 pages of typing in 3 days or I'm gonna die!" over and over for 30 pages.

wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:12 PM
MaryPeterson (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Re

Writing is one of my interesting hobby. i usually write when i get bored. I write stories most of the times. I do express my feelings and loneliness through my stories. My motivation to write was from my childhood. I love stories which motivated me to write.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaryPeterson For This Useful Post:
J.Mariano7 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:03 AM
J.Mariano7 (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Location: Elvish Way, King King Ave., 15 Parsecs off the Intergalactical Highway
Thanks 22

Originally Posted by wrc View Post

wrc
I can personally attest to this as true.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:20 AM
Yonathan1 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

what motivates me is whether writing is even worth just another escape from reality
Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM
J.Mariano7 (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 22

Originally Posted by Yonathan1 View Post
what motivates me is whether writing is even worth just another escape from reality
Isn't that what fiction is for, anyways: to escape the reality of oncoming death?

By the way, a good way to motivate yourself to write is to get someone to punish you when you miss your dates. That definitely works, especially if some stuff you love is on the line.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:59 AM
John Anthony (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I motivate myself by reading a lot of content about writing tips.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 AM
anthonymhenley (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Before I go to bed I think about the story I'm writing. I let the characters live and do things and be themselves. And than I can't sleep because I need to write down all of this.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:39 AM
Brandon459 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I just think about the subject I'm passionate about for a few minutes. Sometimes that works for getting even a few lines out... that often gets me going for a bit longer.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:44 AM
EmyJ (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I find motivation in holidays such as Christmas when happiness is flowing around. Also books. I wonder how one really good book can drift you to another world where plenty of ideas are lying.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:16 AM
K.S. Crooks (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 26

I like my characters, so I want to spend time with them.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice