WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

The rewriting process - has this happend to you?

Old 04-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Niklas73 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default The rewriting process - has this happend to you?

I have benen asked to rewriting My story by a big publicist. Got their chritisism and I agree to almost everything. I have shaped My story for three months and now I have begun to write. Heres the problem:

Do you know the "schwung" you get when you are writing. That feeling in your stomach that tells you that this is great stuff. I really like the story and have rewriwtten the 15 first chapters twice to trim and shape it up (as you know the story dosent always shape out as you thought when writing synopsis or outlining chapter by chapter in Excel).

So i am satisfied. The story is running along just fine. My girlfriend is on the edge while i am Reading it to her. But me, I dont get the "schwung " as i did when i wrote the first draft (which Also was outlined in detail). This draft is more compact and thrilling (its Dan Brownish peace of work) but the "schwung" seems to come more selldom and its not so intenced.

Is this bad thing? I have an idea that this is because its more of work now when I worked the story for two yrats and it is rewrite. IT differs but still same theme. I dont think the story is bad. I think this draft is beter. Has this ever happend to you in the rewriting process? IT is My first time.

Sorry for misspelling. Its mix up between being swedish and autocorrect on swedish on My iPad.

Greetings fr.o.m. Niklas in Sweden

Old 04-09-2016, 03:14 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

As the author himself, you're becoming "overly familiar" with your story. When you first write a story, you get all excited about what's happening with the characters and all that. But once you get into fixing the first, second, and third drafts (and beyond), it's not so thrilling because you've "been there, done that" so to speak. For a reader reading the piece for the first time, it's thrilling, of course, because he/she doesn't know what to expect.

Just keep going with it. Make it the best you can, and trust that it's a natural process!

However! . . . one caveat: If you get BORED of your project and end up stopping (without outside forces keeping you from writing it), THEN you need to re-evaluate, because if the story bores YOU, then it'll surely bore a reader.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
Bagit (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 06:49 AM
Binx B

Aaaaah, I love the smell of sound advice in the morning.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Well said Devon. I well know how taxing the rewrite/s can be. What to take out or leave in or even add without having to back track because you added a bit that changed the overall complexion of your story. It happens.

A famous author once said of a rewrite of one of his stories, suggested by another famous author and friend of his when asked if he liked the rewrite; You have managed to remove the unnecessary and my voice.

Be careful of that. If you kill your voice you have nothing to say to the reader worth hearing.
Devon (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Aaaaah, I love the smell of sound advice in the morning.
Hmm. Would you love the sound of smelly advice in the afternoon, I wonder?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Hmm. Would you love the sound of smelly advice in the afternoon, I wonder?
Heh. Probably not. I'm making a cliche reference to a line in the movie Apocalypse Now. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

It's kind of like the "Got Milk" ad campaign, when people substituted everything you can imagine for milk and they thought it was very clever. Same kind of deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Devon (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:16 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Niklas.

I think that happens to me everytime I write a story. I used to get depressed when my joy of the story morphed into drugery. I stopped being depressed when a another writer pointed out that there's a different mindset between the joy of the first draft and the rewrites.

The way I now try to think of it is that the rough draft mostly comes from my subconscious because as I write I come up with stuff I didn't even know I had. My thinking is clearer and there are little gems in it. The rewrites come out of my conscious mind full rules, grammar, life experiences, logic, marketing and other areas.

Once the euphoria is over, I start the rewrites. I now know the essence of the story but I take on the personna of a generic reader. And when I imagine a reader reading my story I am compelled to make the story easy to read, easy to understand and easy to experiece (that is to feel emotions).

Before I call it done I always like to have other writers read it. By letting other eyes view it allows me to see the story differently. Which, in its self, can cause rewrites. Usually after so much work when I'm satisfied it's done I celebrate because all the rewriting was mostly not a good experience. It's hard work.

I know a writer who has different hats on the wall hanging on nails. He had names for them and all the hats are different: "This is my Mom and Dad. This is my HS English Teacher. This is another writer who insisted I have no talent, this is the First Editor. This is the last Editor. This is the Buyer."

I never got hats but those POVs live in my mind. And I'm sure yours, as well. Even with hats, it's still hard work.

Good luck. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 04-10-2016 at 04:38 PM..
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 PM
Niklas73 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thanks for tips and reples. Well Ive been working on the script for 2,5 years now. The rewrite is a major one whoch changes characters as well as trimming the story which by it self relocates the story. Its a huge change but all in favor ti what the publicist recommended and to which I agree to 95%.
To write a Dan Browinsh kind of thing is hard. Especilly when the story take place over 100 years. Maybe my brain is exahusted with this.
My scriptteacher once said Writing is rewriting. I understood that back then but I didnt understand that writing could get som mechanic. Great story but I miss the feeling and it conufces mecause I wonder if the story is exiting or just a construction?
Well I will fight my way through this and look back in retrospective as well as I hand it out to readers. Keep them tips comming.

Greetings from Sweden
Old 04-12-2016, 12:23 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

I think my eyeballs are about to explode. Never mind.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:58 AM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

I'm not experienced much in super-large projects, but it seems the story was not ready for the publicist. A trusted editor perhaps, then the rewrite, then the publicist.

Just my take though.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:46 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

At some point every passion gets a taste of staleness, and even bitterness.

You remember what you first loved about the story? sure! But you want to divorce it?

Certainly!

That's totally normal. A few of my Author friends joke about how we hate it enough to call it ready for publishing.

Don't hate it because it's bad, that wouldn't help, but hating it because you see every mole you've only been able to fix so much is just plain old good authorship if you ask me.

I get to where I can't ever read my stories again (usually after publication). Literally. I can't get past page one once they are a certain age. Because, blech.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:33 AM
CandraH

Lol, I'm the same with art. By the time something is finished, I'm sick of the sight of it and cant understand why clients etc are happy with it. I never say that out loud though or I'd never get paid haha.

Good to see you back by the way, Calligraphy
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
Lol, I'm the same with art. By the time something is finished, I'm sick of the sight of it and cant understand why clients etc are happy with it. I never say that out loud though or I'd never get paid haha.

Good to see you back by the way, Calligraphy

Aloha!

I let myself get good and disgusted, and then hit publish LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to calligraphy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2016, 05:15 AM
John Anthony (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I remember my school days, one day my English teacher gave me an assignment for homework. I rewrite again and again but not succeeded. Then I got help from the Fast Assignment Help to complete my assignment. That's the situation I remembered for a long time.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice