WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Writing Resources

Old 06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3
Writing Resources (Grammar, Punctuation, etc.)

[This thread has been created in order to ease the searching process for proper, helpful resources. If you have a writing resourse that you think is highly benefitable, then please share it here. Resources include everything from books to web pages.]

My personal favorite guide is the invaluable A Writer's Reference by Diana Hacker. You all should own one; if you don't, buy one immediately.

By far the easiest book I've come across, this handbook is great for writers at all levels as well as students. The sections on proper citations have been particularly useful to me.

If you choose to trust the Brits , another book that has received rave reviews is Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss.

To get you in the mood:

A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires two shots in the air.

'Why?' asks the confused waiter, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'I'm a panda,' he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and, sure enough, finds an explanation.

'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Last edited by Devon; 12-16-2009 at 01:39 AM.. Reason: Relinked the links that didn't work
The Following User Says Thank You to Icarus For This Useful Post:
EricRomm (08-08-2016)
Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I love Eats Shoots and Leaves! amazing book, funny and informative.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:50 AM
riverwriter (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 0

As I have mentioned elsewhere, Babette Deutsch's Poetry Handbook — A Dictionary of Terms is an excellent poetry reference. Just browsing it offers would-be poets a leg up, not just on terms, but on what goes into a poem, and what poets do. I have used mine since I got it in the early 1960s, when it cost $4.95 CDN. It is still in print from Funk & Wagnalls or Harper Collins, and I am sure from a multitude of second hand bookstores. Here is the new cover; my old cover is Black print on double green:

riverwriter's blog:

For a complete list of my daily poems and the reviews in chono, see my Zoints profile . . . .
Old 06-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg
I'm currently reading, or I should say using, this book. It has very short chapters (often a page or two) focusing on small tips. I used to loathe books like these but this one has many useful suggestions and it has really gotten me thinking about the way I approach my writing.

For more information, click here.

|
|
|

Last edited by Icarus; 06-22-2006 at 12:27 PM..
Old 10-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19

Here are a few resources I found very helpful:

Last edited by Cordatus; 01-30-2007 at 06:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cordatus For This Useful Post:
Sandra Heaven (07-06-2013)
Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Cordatus View Post
If you can, purchase the illustrated version. I received it over the holidays and found it rather amusing. A nice change from dry writing books.

|
|
|
Old 02-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19

I'll say.

I have the "dry" one, and it's as boring as the pdf version.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481
Default World Wide Words

Michael Quinion, a field researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary, has a great site for those interested in etymology (word histories), English around the world, and fun new vocab. It's called World Wide Words. You can sign up for his newsletter here.

It's not a go-to resource like a guide is, but it is interesting. I've learned a lot about English through it. I also appreciate his prompt replies to questions and comments.

HoLei.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoiLei For This Useful Post:
ashlockusmc (06-01-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Crystalwizard (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 12

I rather like this page of grammar rules

http://www.creativeteachingsite.com/humorgrammar.htm
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
Rackham (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 6

I agree. The Elements of Style is among the best.

We used English Grammar for the Utterly Confused in my Grammar class last semester and I found it to be very informative and easy to comprehend.
- Coming June 28th!

Projects:
l
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
C.F. Jackson (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via Skype™ to C.F. Jackson
Icon4 Getting and Staying Organized

I found this resource priceless
and it's free.

We as authors often time lose
our way and find it difficult to
reach those desired goals and
dreams.

So check out www.Simpleology.com
and begin focusing and directing
your time and energy on getting
that book project complete.

More importantly. getting your
entire life in order.

'm going through the steps again
for a 2nd time and it's even better.

I hope someone find value in it!

Continue to make it happen!

Won't Be Denied,
C.F. Jackson

Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 AM
Soni (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I am from India and I have been a member of Chillifreeze, an Indian writers website. They provide writers with a whole variety of options, from taking courses and authoring them, expert review and editing services, writing related articles and writer interviews. I find this website a very useful resource as It provides a platform for new and experienced writers to come together.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM
kimba (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 7
Send a message via MSN to kimba
Default Character dossier

Here's a character dossier I put together using Microsoft Excel and saved as a pdf file. I hope it helps with your character planning.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf character.pdf (14.9 KB, 30 views)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimba For This Useful Post:
ashlockusmc (06-01-2009), saizine (09-27-2009), Synch (08-01-2013), WoundedRomance (04-17-2010)
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Don Harold (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thanks for providing all those writing resources. Let me also share this very helpful blog site. It practically contains easy writing tips and strategies. If you have time, visit writersdepot.com. Hope you find my link helpful.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Acanro Seer

I use "The Elements of Style" as my reference. However, I consider them more as guideline than roles, for you can start a sentence with a conjunction, split an infinitive, and end a sentence with a preposition. But, one has to know the rules before they can break them.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 PM
rosiewriter (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11

I've posted this in another thread as well, but the book Everything I Know About Writing by Australian author John Marsden is a really great, easy book to help get the writing process started.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 AM
butterbescotch (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 6

I think I will have a go on eat shoots and leaves.
Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Emmaline (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

My personal favorite writing book is The Gotham Writers' Workshop's Writing Fiction. It helped me develop my creative writing style a lot. There are chapters on characters, plot, point of view, description, dialogue, setting, pacing, voice, theme, revision, and publishing. A very helpful book that I use and re-read frequently.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Just a heads up that The Writers Idea Book 10th Anniversary Edition: How to Develop Great Ideas for Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry and Screenplays (Kindle Edition) by Jack Heffron is currently available free:

Link to Amazon UK.

Last edited by flyingtart; 04-25-2012 at 03:57 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 PM
2Men&aLoveStory (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Just a newbie but I'm loving this thread because I spend a lot of time looking for helpful reference books.

The most useful I've found so far is the Write Great Fiction series. I've read Plot by Ansen Dibell, Beginnings, Middles, and Ends by Nancy Kress, and Character, Emotion, and Viewpoint also by Nancy Kress. I would highly recommend all of the above. I read Description and Setting by Ron Rozelle, but while I ran copies of a few useful entries, I wouldn't put this at the top of the list.

Has anyone here read The Art of War For Writers or How Not To Write a Novel? I'm considering both but if anyone can offer a second opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM
KellerMedia (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

For short story writers, Ron Carlson Writes a Story is a fantastic resource. It's informative and a fun, quick read!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Amanda786 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by KellerMedia View Post
For short story writers, Ron Carlson Writes a Story is a fantastic resource. It's informative and a fun, quick read!

I agree that's good resource for short story writers.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Jakeg (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I am happy I found this site, so much useful information and people sharing them! Thank you!

Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 AM
Publishing Push (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Lessons From 200+ Book Marketing Campaigns

Our most popular post where we summarised some of the key takeaways from running over 200+ book marketing campaigns.

You can find it by heading to our website. We aren't able to post links yet but just search Publishing Push 200+ Book Marketing Campaigns

Hope it helps
Old 07-18-2016, 11:19 PM
John Anthony (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

You can find huge amount of online resources related to writing all over the web. Also I suggest everyone to practice regularly to improve writing skills.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice