WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Finding people with similar interests

Old 12-29-2017, 04:34 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11
Icon3 Finding people with similar interests

Hello there everyone!

Happy holidays and a happy new year!

It's been a while since my last visit. I sort of built up a new portfolio and I was debating on wether I should upload it over here as well. (Wanted to start anew, but can't seem to get the activation email, so I'm using this account instead)

I was wondering, if any one of you had the similar problem that I'm facing right now. Apart from the fact that English is not my mother tongue (for grammatical reasons), I can't seem to find the right audience. Don't get me wrong, I like writing to myself. Did it for many years, but since I chose to come out and somewhat bring my writing to a bearable level, I just can't seem to find anyone who shares my enthusiasm/interests. I'm genuinely not sure why this is a thing. Either I'm really out of place or it must have something to do with my style, I'm guessing (or both). I'm a bit old-school. I don't write in first person or conversations which look like poems. I mostly approach mature subjects (mostly as in smart or makes you think) that could sound and feel dry, although I usually try to be colorful and keep a steady pace. I constantly try to improve, but lately I really started to doubt myself.

I like to think that there's a niche for everything. Surely someone else did the same thing as I did or at least thinks the way I do. That's the selfish reason why I started to write in the first place. To see something that is written through my deceptive eyes.

Let me know what you think!

Take care!

Old 12-29-2017, 06:08 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Happy new year to you, overris.

What's an example of a "mature" subject? What kind of stories do you write?
Old 12-29-2017, 06:50 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

("...you're surrounded by readers, where I don't think it would be your writing in third person, so is it the length of the post by any chance, for example are you presenting your readers with a wall of text straight off..." inquired the who kind of guessed most readers would read any text that was just a few lines long but that most would balk at something very longish, adding "...if you want them to read you then build up your readership by not starting a new thread for each work you do, instead bump your present thread with new content, then keep an eye on your hitcount...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-29-2017 at 09:06 AM..
Old 12-29-2017, 07:49 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Happy new year to you, overris.

What's an example of a "mature" subject? What kind of stories do you write?
A straightforward example would be: what happens to those, whom are thrown out from society. Based on misconceptions, lack of interest, hatred, etc. They are people as well, but we tend to forget about them, for convenience sake.

Regarding my style, I think my main category would be naturalism. To show life as is, without any fluff. This means that my stories can become grim or hard to digest sometimes. I try to compensate it by controlling the flow of action vs. descriptions. Could go into more details, if needed.

Take care!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,361

[QUOTE=overris

A straightforward example would be:

[/QUOTE]

Ever punch a hole in a wall?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:13 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...you're surrounded by readers, where I don't think it would be your writing in third person, so is it the length of the post by any chance, for example are you presenting your readers with a wall of text straight off..." inquired the who kind of guessed most readers would read any text that was just a few lines long but that most would balk at something very longish, adding "...if you want them to read you then build up your readership by not starting a new thread for each work you do, instead bump you present thread with new content, then keep an eye on your hitcount...")

I've slowly learned to utilize the "show and don't tell" method, over the past year or so. I try to minimize the the description where ever I can and only do it when inevitable. But, in my experience it seems to make no difference to start a story with action or with a couple of paragraphs of world-building. For example: have a short story about a chase with around 50+ views and a purely descriptive with around 60+ views. Maybe it has to do with the fact that these days I write fan fictions as well and that might turn people away? Dunno... But than again, view count can mean a lot of things, certainly not that all those people read the entire thing through. I only have 1-2 reviews on them, which doesn't help me to find out what I'm looking for.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by overris View Post
A straightforward example would be: what happens to those, whom are thrown out from society. Based on misconceptions, lack of interest, hatred, etc. They are people as well, but we tend to forget about them, for convenience sake.

Regarding my style, I think my main category would be naturalism. To show life as is, without any fluff. This means that my stories can become grim or hard to digest sometimes. I try to compensate it by controlling the flow of action vs. descriptions. Could go into more details, if needed.

Take care!
That sounds right up my alley.

People who achieve any kind of succes writing operate under the assumption that there are people out there who have the same tastes. And you write what you write because you have to.

The logistics of getting your work out there and finding an audience -- that's another ball of wax -- but in the meantime you just need to be concerned about developing your own thing and doing the very best you can.

Have you posted anything yet?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:32 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

("...do you know anyone here by now, have you got your persona thought out yet, and have you got your persona into their recollection too..." inquired the goblin suspecting that few authors ever thought in this way, adding "...I mean you can write the most wonderful things in succession but if no one recalls your track record to date then you're kind of starting back at square one each time, thus all falls by the wayside though no one's fault bar your own for not addressing that persona question first...", but that was just forumland for you, there were thousands of readers all wanting to read short interactive content but how were the authors adapting to forumland, were they even trying to adapt to forumland, no they were still ignoring the readers really, whereupon the goblin just smiled to the words "...two things perhaps, either the reader wants an entry point, not so much to read what has been written, more to go over what him himself thinks about it, or else he's reading something because he kind of knows both who has written it and that that author will probably take him out of himself, so how one adapt one's persona to livewriting is like the million readers question now...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-29-2017 at 09:39 AM..
Old 12-29-2017, 09:44 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11
Icon9 oh my

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
That sounds right up my alley.

People who achieve any kind of succes writing operate under the assumption that there are people out there who have the same tastes. And you write what you write because you have to.

The logistics of getting your work out there and finding an audience -- that's another ball of wax -- but in the meantime you just need to be concerned about developing your own thing and doing the very best you can.

Have you posted anything yet?
Here nothing, after I left about more then a year ago. I wanted to, but I was so caught up in writing my new book. Which turned out to be a series and took up all my time. Unfortunately, life made it so that I had to rush it and present it to the public (for about 2 weeks on amazon, for free). I worked on it for a year and I though it would never see daylight. Turns out it was a big mistake and ended up in a failure. I thought I would never write after that, but than again life game me the time to do it. So, I rewrote the first chapter. That was the moment when I realized how much more I need to learn and how I have no idea on where to find my audience, if it even exists. Thus, I re-registered to a couple of sites with my real name and started writing short stories (~1000-1500 words). Over the past two month I've built up a small portfolio, but that's all. I'd really wish to work on my big idea, but than again I'll end up with the same issue that I had in the first place. Can't do much without an audience. Bummer, eh?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:01 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

("...do you know anyone here by now, have you got your persona thought out yet, and have you got your persona into their recollection too..." inquired the goblin suspecting that few authors ever thought in this way, adding "...I mean you can write the most wonderful things in succession but if no one recalls your track record to date then you're kind of starting back at square one each time, thus all falls by the wayside though no one's fault bar your own for not addressing that persona question first...", but that was just forumland for you, there were thousands of readers all wanting to read short interactive content but how were the authors adapting to forumland, were they even trying to adapt to forumland, no they were still ignoring the readers really, whereupon the goblin just smiled to the words "...two things perhaps, either the reader wants an entry point, not so much to read what has been written, more to go over what him himself thinks about it, or else he's reading something because he kind of knows both who has written it and that that author will probably take him out of himself, so how one adapt one's persona to livewriting is like the million readers question now...")
That's exactly what I was told, almost shout at my face. 'Get an audience first.'. I know, but as I just mentioned to Myers, I've started to write a book and it took up my free time. I just couldn't write any more, even if I wanted to. I didn't want this to happen. Usually you slowly build up and with chance you find your way. But, for me it was the other way around. Circumstances forced me to act this way. It was a tough year for me, which is not something I'd wish to discuss at this point :P I've started writing short stories and now I'm back at them. The main difference is that my grammar improved (I hope) and I use my real name.
The Following User Says Thank You to overris For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-30-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 23

I box, get some diversity.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:30 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post

You mean like packaging gifts for people at the department store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 PM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post

Funny enough, in a weird way this perfectly sums up my problem. Although, can't do much with it.

On the side note: I also tried to look into forums, review sites, etc., couple of month ago, but google wasn't any help. All that I could find was either YA, romance, light fantasy/science fiction related or straight up erotic content. I've must have searched for the wrong terms or something, but just couldn't find something that had something to do with what I'm looking for.

It just boggles my mind, why is this "invisible" wall is ahead of me. Can't seem to pass it. Never thought that finding like minded people would be this difficult.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

That's exactly what I was told, almost shout at my face. 'Get an audience first.'. I know, but as I just mentioned to Myers, I've started to write a book and it took up my free time. I just couldn't write any more, even if I wanted to. I didn't want this to happen. Usually you slowly build up and with chance you find your way. But, for me it was the other way around. Circumstances forced me to act this way. It was a tough year for me, which is not something I'd wish to discuss at this point :P I've started writing short stories and now I'm back at them. The main difference is that my grammar improved (I hope) and I use my real name.
("...naah, books didn't sell in the victorian age, no it was journals instead of books that sold..." repeated the goblin suspecting too that the liveness of the journal, its ease at reading for being short, its reliability as either weekly or monthly too, all marginalized books till the radio came along, where dickens and doyle both found their roots in journals, adding "...through the posts to the audience, through the persona to their recollection of you here, that's right you're here now, just they need to find you, enjoy you, and remember you too, tell me about persona before we go any further about what you do for them...")
Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

("...naah, books didn't sell in the victorian age, no it was journals instead of books that sold..." repeated the goblin suspecting too that the liveness of the journal, its ease at reading for being short, its reliability as either weekly or monthly too, all marginalized books till the radio came along, where dickens and doyle both found their roots in journals, adding "...through the posts to the audience, through the persona to their recollection of you here, that's right you're here now, just they need to find you, enjoy you, and remember you too, tell me about persona before we go any further about what you do for them...")
I forgot to mention that I post a short chapter every/other day (~1000 words, 4-5 minute read, tops).

Yeah, that is the thing I don't want to do fleamailman. I'm not a blogger and I don't want to share my super-dull life with the world. My thoughts are my own, and only belong to a diary if so. Just like what Kevin Kostner says in Dances with Wolves.

The reason is simple. People misunderstand me, even if I say a word. They always assume my intentions and never care to listen. This always ends up in aggression and violence. I don't want that, I don't need extra negativity in my life, I hope you can understand that! Positive vibes for the win!

However, I've got the TwitterZ, if you can count that as a journal.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

You can find a few people with similar interests here, especially if your writing is good. But, I’m not sure you could consider other writers on a small writing forum an audience.

I’ve published a few shorts in free online lit mags, but honestly, unless you are very prolific and aggressive with submissions, the readership for literary fiction is small.

Honestly, I’m not sure it was ever a lot of people.

Have you posted anything here yet?

Old 12-30-2017, 09:51 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

You can find a few people with similar interests here, especially if your writing is good. But, I’m not sure you could consider other writers on a small writing forum an audience.

I’ve published a few shorts in free online lit mags, but honestly, unless you are very prolific and aggressive with submissions, the readership for literary fiction is small.

Honestly, I’m not sure it was ever a lot of people.

Have you posted anything here yet?

Ok, so I've uploaded a part of my Mad Max Fan Fiction. Mad Max Fanfix
That is where my current level is at.

And, no. I don't want to ever touch self-publishing again. It haunts me!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:50 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

Ok, so I've uploaded a part of my Mad Max Fan Fiction. Mad Max Fanfix
That is where my current level is at.

And, no. I don't want to ever touch self-publishing again. It haunts me!

No, no, not self publishing. There are small literary fiction mags online all over the place. Some even pay, but most don’t. If you’re aggressive with submitting and following up you may be able to build a small following.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

No, no, not self publishing. There are small literary fiction mags online all over the place. Some even pay, but most don’t. If you’re aggressive with submitting and following up you may be able to build a small following.
Oh, I see. Did a quick search on google, now I get what you meant. However, I don't think there's an audience for my style.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

("...naah, persona is not that you in your dailylife, persona is how you get recalled across forumland here, your dailylife will not get you remembered neither..." replied the goblin smiling then repeating "...do you remember any of the usernames you came across from years back now, so hard isn't it, why, because they have no flesh and bones, they're all uniform in writing style, how many years to date how many thousands to posters too, posters mostly doing "post and discard"...", in fact, the goblin wondered how many posters there must be across forumland, and how many forums there must be out there, and then looking back at overris simply asked "...do you want an audience, well then build one up around you now, where your mindset towards "writing a book" is most commendable, yet alas your mindset towards building up a forum readership is on par with brianpatrick's inability to see the size of forumland in its total, say for example one post makes five hundred views, ten forums equals 5000views, a new post each week over a year, perhaps you would care to do the maths, far more reads than either blogs or books...", but there wasn't just ten forums across forumland, no there were thousands if not hundreds of thousands of forums across forumland, and each one is search of content too, overris's content, but could overris get himself remembered amongst that vast number there, over time indeed all was possible perhaps)

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-30-2017 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 12:38 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

Oh, I see. Did a quick search on google, now I get what you meant. However, I don't think there's an audience for my style.

There’s an audience for all styles but the one I was referring to was literary fiction.

There are fan fiction mags, and if that’s your primary focus you can find that.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:24 PM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

There’s an audience for all styles but the one I was referring to was literary fiction.

There are fan fiction mags, and if that’s your primary focus you can find that.
No, god no! I almost never write fanfic. Max is a special case. The only reason why I did it, because it's super easy and I can pump out new content quickly. My jam is originality, I don't like copying someone else's work. That's was my personal reason for giving up posting here and elsewhere more then a year ago. I got caught up in world-building for my science fiction and fantasy epics.

'There’s an audience for all styles' --> As I mentioned in the first post, to me it feels like the catch-22.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:03 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

("...if you don't want a forum audience, you could try reciting your work as an audiobook putting it up on youtube there, as the number of audiobooks are limited at this point but the number of people casually looking for something to listen to while doing their housework or driving their cars is increasing I imagine..." mused the goblin a bit before work now, then adding "...well, if you don't see many people reading books throughout your day but see many of them interacting at their cellphones or tablets or laptops instead, doesn't that kind of tell you your direction if you really want their readership, me I simply noted that the hitcount goes up if I keep the post below 12 lines max, yet it's a compromise, too long and they won't read it, too short and I won't enjoy writing it...")
Old 12-30-2017, 09:12 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

("...if you don't want a forum audience, you could try reciting your work as an audiobook putting it up on youtube there, as the number of audiobooks are limited at this point but the number of people casually looking for something to listen to while doing their housework or driving their cars is increasing I imagine..." mused the goblin a bit before work now, then adding "...well, if you don't see many people reading books throughout your day but see many of them interacting at their cellphones or tablets or laptops instead, doesn't that kind of tell you your direction if you really want their readership, me I simply noted that the hitcount goes up if I keep the post below 12 lines max, yet it's a compromise, too long and they won't read it, too short and I won't enjoy writing it...")

I think audiobooks are a great untapped market. And, knowing what I know about recording, very easy to produce. But others, not versed in recording technics may find these daunting.

The human ear is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very attuned to dishonesty. And anything less than perfection shines like a carpenters “shiners.”

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:00 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,915

("...no need to recite a whole book in one go, one must turn into work..." repeated the goblin agreeing with biran's observation, continuing "...start with one chapter, then another, and then another after that one, and besides, they'll forgive you your faults as long as it's pulling..." in fact, part of the fun is waiting for the next chapter before it came out, smiling "...we return to the epoch of the vitorian journal don't we, books are daunting, where you have to be very brave to read "war and peace", so if dickens and doyle overcame this problem by episodes with cliff-hangers, then I submit to their wisdom in my own way...")
Old 12-31-2017, 05:28 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

("...no need to recite a whole book in one go, one must turn into work..." repeated the goblin agreeing with biran's observation, continuing "...start with one chapter, then another, and then another after that one, and besides, they'll forgive you your faults as long as it's pulling..." in fact, part of the fun is waiting for the next chapter before it came out, smiling "...we return to the epoch of the vitorian journal don't we, books are daunting, where you have to be very brave to read "war and peace", so if dickens and doyle overcame this problem by episodes with cliff-hangers, then I submit to their wisdom in my own way...")
Turns out the main problem is my use of third perspective. Apparently that makes me look like a douche bag.
The Following User Says Thank You to overris For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-31-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,361

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

shines like a carpenters “shiners.”

[/QUOTE]

Nice one, metaphorically speaking.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

Turns out the main problem is my use of third perspective. Apparently that makes me look like a douche bag.

I wouldn’t say “douche-bag” at all. It was just a suggestion because I noticed that you are more expressive in your first person posts here than in your third person writing.

I’m really just guessing as to why.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 AM
overris (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 11

I wouldn’t say “douche-bag” at all. It was just a suggestion because I noticed that you are more expressive in your first person posts here than in your third person writing.

I’m really just guessing as to why.

Hm. It's interesting that you mention that. I have the tendency to go on forever explaining something. Partially because I feel that it's necessary in some cases to know why 'Billy' opened that bottle of liquor.

However, I was pointed out on another site, that that's a big no-no, as it can really put off people, especially with my runaway sentences. I used it regardless it was an action scene or not. So, now I try to hold back and try to find that middle ground between being to descriptive and whatnot. (if not an action scene, like a prologue, than it would mean walls of text, before any conversation. Those are found in my earlier works) Probably the similar abridge conversion would happen with my first person POV.

Is this is what you meant?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,042

Some of what I meant, yeah. You want your writing to feel natural, so that the reader forgets they are reading a story, to suck them in.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe