WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues

Issues Current and past issues of the publication

Bluexmohican communications

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:28 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919
Default Bluexmohican communications

Private communications between Staff and Members at Writer's Beat have always been kept private.

Reposting something after it's been taken down is verboten.

No further discussion about whether people think it's wrong or right is needed.
Mohican

Last edited by Mohican; 01-04-2018 at 08:38 PM..
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919

I mean... what is there to hide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-23-2017, 07:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919

I understand the idea of scaring off new members. I do. But if this is to be a real forum then some amount of disagreeing must be a part of it.

Someone insults you personally? Come on. Nobody can really do that behind a mask.

You have my name and cell#

We can be real people here. Itís what real people do.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:12 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,847

...obsession with Putin can act as a kind of infantile escapism for depressed liberal elites. At its most benign it is a convenient way for them to explain away real and troubling problems that the last generation of liberal governance has bequeathed to our societies, and to dismiss the hot disagreements that are the result, as a foreign plot. At its worse it is an open fantasy of power completely unconstrained by responsibility, a wish to finally detach the liberal project from the democratic mechanisms that give it legitimacy.
("...the operative word is "can" in the first line, it stands as a warning that this can happen, and thus it doesn't accuse anyone of anything personally..." observed the goblin, adding "...perhaps it's a good warning, and perhaps there is a wish to go back to the "cold war days" when america protected the world from something truly evil, but today's russia is no the USSR, and today's "west" is not the good guys neither, no those days have gone, today with just have 1984 pure and simple, with the west rightly there for its own self interest, russia there too, and china no different from either of them...", in fact the goblin felt that this new self interest was good, saying "...it's not that "the west" is wrong in portaying russia or china as demons, it's just it forgets at times that it's just another demon like both of them, three demons then, no good guys...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 12-23-2017 at 10:14 PM..
Old 12-23-2017, 10:42 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 24

I am sorry for the discord.

Quite frankly, I don't understand what's going on.

For example, consider this verbiage from Mohican:

"Dont you think its strange Im decent and understanding towards everyone else but you? Dont you think its odd youre the constant butt of ridicule from all the other members? You bring it on yourself. And its not because youre a christian. My writings are so Catholic Im surprised a nun hasnt materialized to spank me with a ruler."

Years ago, before drugs and dissolute living knocked my IQ down from its perky perch i the clouds, I was considered a pretty smart dude. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand what Mohican is upset about.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:51 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919

Originally Posted by DoggedDavid View Post

"Dont you think its strange Im decent and understanding towards everyone else but you? Dont you think its odd youre the constant butt of ridicule from all the other members? You bring it on yourself. And its not because youre a christian. My writings are so Catholic Im surprised a nun hasnt materialized to spank me with a ruler."

Years ago, before drugs and dissolute living knocked my IQ down from its perky perch i the clouds, I was considered a pretty smart dude. But I cannot, for the life of me, understand what Mohican is upset about.

It was blue you quoted. He is upset that Mohican is cryptic and appears to have an agenda beyond his words.

The discord is minor. Both of them should realize that. Itís just dudes busting each otherís balls. Itís what dudes do.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:03 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 154

I'm confused. The OP is a message sent to bluewpc by Mohican which bluewpc then posted on the forum and Mohican deleted? Have I got that right?
Old 12-24-2017, 08:37 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919

Mohicans side of the discussion is missing. It was a warning to blue against personal attacks. A PM.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 24

Brian advised me that the dispute was minor.

Aw, I was hoping for a knock-down, drag-down fight.

I don't know why I am offerring the following, but I guess I want to reveal some of the primitive aspects of my background. When I was young, whenever two guys got into a fight, everyone in the background would chant, "A fight, A fight, a nigger and a white." I don't remember the rest of the chant.

In any event, our outlook -- and the outlook of the adults we knew -- was absolutely antithetical to the predominant progressive voices of today. If one was bullied, one was given no quarter or succor. The bullying, it was thought, would toughen you up and make a man out of you. If one was harassed for being gay, it was all for the good as homosexuality was just about as bad as murder. The civil rights movement did say that we should not disparage people of color, but everyone in my neighborhood thought that civil rights was a heap of manure and the people in my neighborhood were contemptuous of everything that deviated from that which they were familiar with.

Half the guys in my neighborhood got JD cards, or cards identifying them as juvenile delinquents. Many of them did time. Most of them were Irish Catholics from another time.

I hated that time, but for some odd reason, I miss it too.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:53 PM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 154

Are you sure your memories aren't Gangs of New York?
Old 12-27-2017, 05:09 PM
DoggedDavid (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 24

No, my neighborhood really was like that, not the entire neighborhood, but part of it.

I am talking about Bay Ridge Brooklyn and the guys and girls who went to Our Lady of Angels Catholic School on 75th Street and 4th Avenue in New York. I have written about it.

For example, when I was seven years old, I was a member of the "Man From Uncle" club, consisting of me and a bunch of Irish Catholic guys.

They were all terrified of Communism and we hung out on the Street and imagined communist conspiracies in everything from a ball that didn't bounce properly to bad candy at the corner store.

Mrs. Fitzgerald had ten children, and her Husband was in the penitentiary, and she was broke, but she supported Barry Goldwater because she was terrified of Communism and thought that Civil Rights would inexorably and logically lead to the deflowering of her chaste girls by a big black man.

The boys were constantly being beaten by the nuns.

Bruce told me that he thought he was very religious because he was an avid viewer of the sit com "The Flying Nun," which sported a flying nun who worked in Puerto Rico and was, in Bruce's imagination, making them civilized and have good manners for their eventual trip to New York where they would be our submissive waiters.

Once they dragged me into their Church, to the front row, and told me to get on my knees and say all the prayers I knew.

I learned about the Holocaust when I was about six. (Before Bay Ridge I had lived in Boro Park, Brooklyn, where lots of people had concentration camp tatoos on their arms.) When I was 7, and heard the term "Chistmas Eve," I reasoned that eve was short for evil which made sense because Cbristians were inherently evil.

When I got older, I used to do a very wierd thing on the Fourth of July: I would ride my bike down 76th Street and the other guys would throw firecrackers at me. But I managed to outsmart them. I imagined I was an Israeli pilot, flying a French Mirage fighter (For the first 20 years of its existence, Israel got almost nothing from the US and its military equipment came from France; at its birth, it got aid and oil from the Communist bloc countries -- there is so much that so many people are wholly oblivious to)

But as I said, that wasn't the whole neighborhood. I am Jewish and most of my co-religionists lived in the more affluent buildings on Bay Ridge's "Shore Road." These people were sophisticated, liberal and all that jazz.

Although I didn't like the Irish Catholic kids on my block, I felt closer to them than to my fellow Jews.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 919

No, my neighborhood really was like that, not the entire neighborhood, but part of it.

I am talking about Bay Ridge Brooklyn and the guys and girls who went to Our Lady of Angels Catholic School on 75th Street and 4th Avenue in New York. I have written about it.

For example, when I was seven years old, I was a member of the "Man From Uncle" club, consisting of me and a bunch of Irish Catholic guys.

They were all terrified of Communism and we hung out on the Street and imagined communist conspiracies in everything from a ball that didn't bounce properly to bad candy at the corner store.

Mrs. Fitzgerald had ten children, and her Husband was in the penitentiary, and she was broke, but she supported Barry Goldwater because she was terrified of Communism and thought that Civil Rights would inexorably and logically lead to the deflowering of her chaste girls by a big black man.

The boys were constantly being beaten by the nuns.

Bruce told me that he thought he was very religious because he was an avid viewer of the sit com "The Flying Nun," which sported a flying nun who worked in Puerto Rico and was, in Bruce's imagination, making them civilized and have good manners for their eventual trip to New York where they would be our submissive waiters.

Once they dragged me into their Church, to the front row, and told me to get on my knees and say all the prayers I knew.

I learned about the Holocaust when I was about six. (Before Bay Ridge I had lived in Boro Park, Brooklyn, where lots of people had concentration camp tatoos on their arms.) When I was 7, and heard the term "Chistmas Eve," I reasoned that eve was short for evil which made sense because Cbristians were inherently evil.

When I got older, I used to do a very wierd thing on the Fourth of July: I would ride my bike down 76th Street and the other guys would throw firecrackers at me. But I managed to outsmart them. I imagined I was an Israeli pilot, flying a French Mirage fighter (For the first 20 years of its existence, Israel got almost nothing from the US and its military equipment came from France; at its birth, it got aid and oil from the Communist bloc countries -- there is so much that so many people are wholly oblivious to)

But as I said, that wasn't the whole neighborhood. I am Jewish and most of my co-religionists lived in the more affluent buildings on Bay Ridge's "Shore Road." These people were sophisticated, liberal and all that jazz.

Although I didn't like the Irish Catholic kids on my block, I felt closer to them than to my fellow Jews.

So, the artist in me wonders if you see the potential for high quality fiction here. Yeah, you could say: but... fiction is just made up stories. But for me, those ďmade upĒ stories serve a higher purpose. Itís sort of the difference between curiosity based science, and the science that might be funded because there is a definable (almost guaranteed) outcome. Itís the great unknown exposed. I think humans discover things through the vehicle of curiosity and exploration more than any other way.

Anyway, Iím terribly sober and unable to stop or slow my brain down.

I cut the end of my middle finger off at work a few months ago, and they sewed it back on. Itís mostly healed now and after a long hiatus I think I might start playing guitar again. Well, I was a bass player and guitar seems a little like fingering a timid woman to me, but itís hard to write songs without a full-range instrument.

Okay, that was completely random. But... what the hell; I technically started this thread.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:55 AM
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 154

Looks like you have a veritable treasure trove of material there, David. Every one of your sentences would make a great opener.

Are you more inclined to writing fiction or nonfiction?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 711

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...the operative word is "can" in the first line, it stands as a warning that this can happen, and thus it doesn't accuse anyone of anything personally..." observed the goblin, adding "...perhaps it's a good warning, and perhaps there is a wish to go back to the "cold war days" when america protected the world from something truly evil, but today's russia is no the USSR, and today's "west" is not the good guys neither, no those days have gone, today with just have 1984 pure and simple, with the west rightly there for its own self interest, russia there too, and china no different from either of them...", in fact the goblin felt that this new self interest was good, saying "...it's not that "the west" is wrong in portaying russia or china as demons, it's just it forgets at times that it's just another demon like both of them, three demons then, no good guys...")
Indeed. It can be tiring trying to sift through all the bull shit. But when the media becomes obsessed with something, and just keeps repeating the same soundbite over and over it's usually safe to assume that this is no longer about serious impartial analysis and more about some political agenda.

Now that the mainstream is nice and centralised it is basically just that, ie: a collection of partisan soundbites on repeat. And this advent of 'fake news' and 'post truth' I think is probably more a reaction to the emergence of alternative news which counters centralised messaging rather than some genuinely new era of propaganda.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 660

Without going into too much, I did not write the highlighted section, blue did. I'll leave it there.

and for emphasis:
Private communications between Staff and Members at Writer's Beat have always been kept private.

Reposting something after it's been taken down is verboten.

No further discussion about whether people think it's wrong or right is needed.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 660

http://forums.writersbeat.com/showpo...36&postcount=3

Brianpatrick wrote: I understand the idea of scaring off new members. I do. But if this is to be a real forum then some amount of disagreeing must be a part of it.

Someone insults you personally? Come on. Nobody can really do that behind a mask.

You have my name and cell#

We can be real people here. It’s what real people do.
It has been explained that there are other forums on the internet that are ball busting free for alls.

It doesn't work here, and sometimes it needs reigned in.

The link below will take you to rules/guidelines for The 'Beat. I encourage everyone to read them.

http://forums.writersbeat.com/faq.ph...t#faq_new_here

BTW, from participating in other writing forums, I'm not seeing a free for all in those Or if it is there and people want to take it there, fine.

And why put this in the (long defunct) Writers Beat Quarterly?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 01-04-2018 at 09:13 PM..
Closed Thread

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues