WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Nativity John

Old 11-26-2017, 06:29 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

Originally Posted by Konan View Post

To me 100K is a small sum. I mean, all a person has to do is bring in $250 a day to make it happen. If you have a product that costs that much, all you have to work toward is making just one sale.

."

Well, sort of. But unless that product is labor only and cost you nothing but your personal time to produce (which also should have a value) then you have to sell a lot more than that.

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Well, sort of. But unless that product is labor only and cost you nothing but your personal time to produce (which also should have a value) then you have to sell a lot more than that.
You're right. However, I was thinking a digital product in my example. It may take you 3 months to create, but then you can sell it online without you having to be there physically to make the sale. I've made sales this way while I was sleeping with past business ventures. It's a very nice thing to wake up to.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

OK -- what's your idea of how the rich make money differently?

I know make a lot more money than what I just make with just my core business. I've also taken a few risks that have paid off.

I also stay out of debt and we live well within our means -- the trappings of wealth or appearing successful mean nothing to me -- I'm going for the long game.

I want to retire early so we can do what we want to do, and preventing some kind of financial meltdown, we're well on our way. No, I will never be "rich" at least in that way the our culture things of rich -- not that it matters to me.

But I know and work for "rich" people. Some of them are very wealthy. I went to a wedding this weekend -- the father of the bride is very, very wealthy.

He made his money in cigars. Had an idea -- a legal way to circumvent the Cuban embargo and sell Cuban cigars.

That's the key -- an idea. Then he worked his ass off and made it all happen.

Of course, you can get into various financial rackets and make a lot of money too. Or you can inherit wealth and do something with it. And you can be one of the few who take the corporate route to the highest levels.

But I wonder how many people get rich by simply following a generic formula or having some vague notion of how the rich get rich.

So what is it exactly that you are conceiving and believing that that will make you rich?

Or is that just something you have on a poster over your computer?

Last edited by Myers; 11-26-2017 at 06:45 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

You're right. However, I was thinking a digital product in my example. It may take you 3 months to create, but then you can sell it online without you having to be there physically to make the sale. I've made sales this way while I was sleeping with past business ventures. It's a very nice thing to wake up to.
Like with what? Tell us more.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And there's ALWAYS a cost of doing business -- even if it's "digital."

How do you promote the product? Just put it up on the internet and people beat a path to your door?
Old 11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

Yes, then itís just finding a product which has and maintains demand. Still a considerable amount of luck, skill, and creativity involved there.

Then thereís advertising costs, legal costs, licensing costs, insurance costs, taxes, on and on. Once you have a viable product thatís successful, costs come out of the woodwork.

Iím not saying itís impossible. Itís definitely doable and many people do it, but itís not easy.

I donít believe Hillís assertions about conceive and believe and achieve. Many people fail in business and itís not always (or even mostly, IMO) because they didnít think or believe in it hard enough. I know dozens of world class musicians whose recordings will never make them a dime. And itís not because they donít believe hard enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Those who focus on the hole in the doughnut miss the gooey goodness that surrounds it.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Sure -- tell us about what you have in mind for the gooey goodness.

I've got a generic confidentiality agreement, if you need one.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:14 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

My blog. That's my focus these days.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:15 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Big money in that?
Old 11-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Not yet. A blog tends to make very little money in its first year.

But from monitoring my analytics, it's looking very promising as people are heavily engaging with my content.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

Those who focus on the hole in the doughnut miss the gooey goodness that surrounds it.

To some extent, sure. But business is mostly an activity. It is a system, a process, and yes, one has to believe in the desired outcome but that belief doesnít always translate into business success.

So, letís say you are a great teacher of the Alexander method, and youíve developed this video course which finds an audience and is selling like hot cakes. Youíre making tons of cash, getting laid all over the place, and enjoying the gooey goodness of the donut. Then... through no decisions of your own, the economy crashes and people stop having the proprietary cash to purchase your video. Sales dry up and you are making next to nothing. What then?

I know youíll have an answer for this, but think about the luck and skill involved in this example. Itís business. Itís a system that works. And if you donít practice it right, all the belief in the world wonít keep you in donuts.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I looked at the blog. Didn't see any way you were "monitizing" it -- as they say.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

So, letís say you are a great teacher of the Alexander method, and youíve developed this video course which finds an audience and is selling like hot cakes. Youíre making tons of cash, getting laid all over the place, and enjoying the gooey goodness of the donut. Then... through no decisions of your own, the economy crashes and people stop having the proprietary cash to purchase your video. Sales dry up and you are making next to nothing. What then?
Or more like someone comes along who adds some twist to it that you didn't think of -- and your version is obsolete.

It doesn't take much.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

brianpatrick,

When I have a profitable online business and when the economy also crashes, I will have an answer for you. Until then, you'll just have to be patient with me and hope "the sky doesn't fall".

Myers,

I'm currently creating an audio program. In fact, I just posted a sales page the other day (even though it's not ready for market yet), just to test the waters, so to speak.

But my focus right now is on building traffic. An article of mine was accepted to be published on a major site that has 3 million followers for next month. So I'll probably make some sales next month (which I may have to refund if they don't want to wait on me to finish the product). But the response is what's important.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Or more like someone comes along who adds some twist to it that you didn't think of -- and your version is obsolete.

It doesn't take much.
My version will never be obsolete. It based around human nature, and human nature has been the same since man's inception, if he even had one, and it never changes, just like gravity.

I got that one covered.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Never be obsolete...

Famous last words.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:40 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And it doesn't have to be obsolete.

Someone just has to do it better than you do it.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

No one can do it better than me.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

brianpatrick,

When I have a profitable online business and when the economy also crashes, I will have an answer for you. Until then, you'll just have to be patient with me and hope "the sky doesn't fall".

Myers,

I'm currently creating an audio program. In fact, I just posted a sales page the other day (even though it's not ready for market yet), just to test the waters, so to speak.

But my focus right now is on building traffic. An article of mine was accepted to be published on a major site that has 3 million followers for next month. So I'll probably make some sales next month (which I may have to refund if they don't want to wait on me to finish the product). But the response is what's important.

The response IS whatís important, but also important is to ďpracticeĒ business. Invest the money you make in a wide set of baskets.

I own and run a small business. A plumbing company. I also have significant investments in all kinds of things. Real estate, stock market, retirement accounts, savings bonds, cash reserves, etc. if the market crashes and nobody can afford my plumbing services I can live for quite a while on my investments. In fact, a real estate crash would be just what the doctor ordered if you ask me. Then I could pick up a bunch of cheap properties and hold and rent them for future growth. Itís business.

I hope you do make money with your idea, but if you do, reinvest it wisely and widely. That way, if your main revenue stream dries up, you can survive the storm. I donít have to believe itís true; it just is. Thatís how rich people who understand business do it.

Right now, if you want a tip, invest discretionary income in CRISPR technology. It may crap-out, but itís a good bet these days.

Hard work, good business practices, and luck beat belief every time.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I'm sure you'll do fine, Konan -- if you're motivated and you work hard.

I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear people talking about anything that smacks of "set it and forget it" or can't fail business ideas.

A whole lot of people who have succeeded in a big way have had a failure or two -- or at least a false start.

I think you just might need a little dose of reality along with all that gooey goodness.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:58 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

brianpatrick,

How many rental properties do you have?

And what's the positive monthly cashflow altogether (if you're open to disclosing)?
Old 11-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I'm sure you'll do fine, Konan -- if you're motivated and you work hard.

I'm always a bit skeptical when I hear people talking about anything that smacks of "set it and forget it" or can't fail business ideas.

A whole lot of people who have succeeded in a big way have had a failure or two -- or at least a false start.

I think you just might need a little dose of reality along with all that gooey goodness.
Oh, I've failed many, many times. But I've learned a lot from those failures, and I think the knowledge from those failures will serve me in this venture in making it a success.

I'll check in every now and again if you guys want updates over the coming months and years.

By the way, any thoughts on my blog? How many articles did you read? And did you find any value in them?

I suspect it's a younger audience (people in their 20s) who will most resonate with my content.

But this week, my average session duration was 4:30 minutes -- EDIT: just checked my analytics since the day's come to a close, and it's up to a whopping 5:56 minutes! And experts say you're doing really good if it's between 2-3 minutes. So apparently I'm kicking some major ass. Also, some people spend literally hours on my blog, consuming the content. So that's always a good sign too.

Is my aim to be the greatest teacher in human relations since Christ taking shape?

Last edited by Konan; 11-26-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 08:12 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

brianpatrick,

How many rental properties do you have?

And what's the positive monthly cashflow altogether (if you're open to disclosing)?

I own four houses and a six-plex now. I also own stakes in two industrial properties.

Positive monthly cash flow for real estate investments is about $4500.

I work with an investment group that buys foreclosures. We also provide remodel and restoration services to the group which mostly buys us sweat-equity in properties.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

I own four houses and a six-plex now. I also own stakes in two industrial properties.

Positive monthly cash flow for real estate investments is about $4500.

I work with an investment group that buys foreclosures. We also provide remodel and restoration services to the group which mostly buys us sweat-equity in properties.
Wow, that's awesome! I would be thrilled to have a passive income of $4,500 a month. Must feel pretty good.

And I'm curious...

How long ago did you get into investing in real estate? And do you have plans to continue to buy and rent more properties in the future?
Old 11-26-2017, 08:42 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

Wow, that's awesome! I would be thrilled to have a passive income of $4,500 a month. Must feel pretty good.

And I'm curious...

How long ago did you get into investing in real estate? And do you have plans to continue to buy and rent more properties in the future?

I had three properties when the real estate collapse happened in 2008. I was not smart about business in those days. I got caught with my pants down, pretty much lost most of my shit.

Since then I have learned a lot.

Plumbing is very profitable and has allowed me enough money to invest in all kinds of things.

Itís only in the last two years Iíve really picked up steam. A lot of it has been just lucky breaks. Iím good with people and relationships, and that has afforded me some great opportunities, especially recently.

So yes, we are actively investing in new properties, and plan to continue. We picked up a 2 million dollar project building luxury condos around a lake and bought the six-plex down the street from the project, remodeled it, and are using two of the units to house plumbers on-site while renting the other four.

One of my long time customers made a lot of money as an underwear model back in the eighties. He has been helping me with investments. He owns more than 300 houses now and has taught me a lot about how things really work in business.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Damn, you sound like the exact type of guy I'd love to sit down with and have a few beers with.

Not in Canada, by any chance, are you?

And you said your people and relationship skills have afforded you some great opportunities ... would you tell me a little about your approach to dealing with other people? What would you say is your "strategy" or approach to fostering good relations?

In fact, I can tell you're a "people person" by the way you interact on the forum here. Sometimes in text it's hard to tell. But it shines through with you.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:20 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

Damn, you sound like the exact type of guy I'd love to sit down with and have a few beers with.

Not in Canada, by any chance, are you?

And you said your people and relationship skills have afforded you some great opportunities ... would you tell me a little about your approach to dealing with other people? What would you say is your "strategy" or approach to fostering good relations?

In fact, I can tell you're a "people person" by the way you interact on the forum here. Sometimes in text it's hard to tell. But it shines through with you.

I live in Phoenix AZ. I recently quit drinking alcohol so a beer is out, but if you find yourself in AZ let me know.

Iím good with people because I genuinely like people. All of them. I donít have a strategy that I know of. I didnít practice it. I donít read books on the subject, nor do I read business books. I have a lot of business friends that recommend books to me, the latest fads, but I never read them.

I have to do stuff to learn it. Sometimes the hard way.

I probably have what they call ADHD. Itís like a built-in super charger. I just keep going. When Iím working on an idea or project I can sleep very little and just keep hitting it until itís done. Iíve always been this way.

I have learned that I have to stay busy. My wife is very good with organization and that helps a lot. Without her I would just be an energizer bunny.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:21 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,920

("...yes, but we're not writing anything much by this are we..." ventured the goblin suspecting too that if he started boasting about his external alas it would leave a hole where he himself should be, for while online he wasn't any of those unprovable things of his dailylife there, nor was he anything that he had written previously neither, the readers didn't care about that he knew, so no his anonymity freed him from looking back, yet his journey to self continued as pace in front of him, so he played on to the audience for all it was worth, then adding "...all very simple really, life is but one journey to self while it lasts where it would be such a pity to get to journey's end solely with that external there, so instead I want to enhance my imagination, I want to gain anonymously a certain fluidity of pen that comes from the practice of posting to an online audience, while others would prefer something else perhaps...", in fact, nothing stopped anyone from starting their own thread on this forum while slowly feeding posts to it as a benchmark as the goblin had done, concluding "...each time you start a new thread with your latest work for critics to see is precisely when you also signal that your older threads are now dead to you...", which was why the goblin posted around, yes but only had one thread really, smiling "...your readers want to find you, they won't find you don't have your own thread now...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-27-2017 at 08:02 AM..
Old 11-27-2017, 04:56 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Oh, I've failed many, many times. But I've learned a lot from those failures, and I think the knowledge from those failures will serve me in this venture in making it a success.

I'll check in every now and again if you guys want updates over the coming months and years.

By the way, any thoughts on my blog? How many articles did you read? And did you find any value in them?

I suspect it's a younger audience (people in their 20s) who will most resonate with my content.

But this week, my average session duration was 4:30 minutes -- EDIT: just checked my analytics since the day's come to a close, and it's up to a whopping 5:56 minutes! And experts say you're doing really good if it's between 2-3 minutes. So apparently I'm kicking some major ass. Also, some people spend literally hours on my blog, consuming the content. So that's always a good sign too.

Is my aim to be the greatest teacher in human relations since Christ taking shape?
Most of your content is a lot better than the article you posted here. Although I didn't see anything that I haven't seen or heard before in one form or another -- but if you can repackage it in a way that's appealing, that makes it seem cohesive and fresh -- more power to you. There are a lot of people who aren't very astute and don't intuitively know how to handle people -- and I suppose that's your audience. Kind of funny that you refer to them as "losers." I guess that's the old Charles Atlas approach.

Otherwise -- for the people I know who make money with their blog, they use it as a platform for other revenue streams, like books, seminars or speaking engagements.

It's not very likely the content alone will make money beyond advertising or link related affiliate programs etc. I've written blogs for people who get hundreds of thousands of hits -- some of them have made money, some of them haven't. Converting the hits to revenue is pretty difficult and it can be a full time job.

But good luck -- a very small percentage of bloggers can make a living doing it -- and you certainly could be one of them...

Last edited by Myers; 11-27-2017 at 04:59 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing