WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing

Free Writing Plot bunnies, random musings, etc. No one-liners.

Nativity John

Old 11-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Heh.

Ask people who are actually rich and successful if they ever needed a book like "Think and Grow Rich."

Naw -- it comes under the catagory of "if you have to ask..."

Maybe dig a little deeper and ask yourself why you need a book to give you some kind of generic formula for succces and figure out what's missing.

Or -- like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 11-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 183

I just consider myself a human being who is part of the whole. I've been around animals my entire life; I love animals because they actually shaped (more than school) the person I am. When I was a boy, my friends and I had a pigeon coop on a six-story building in Manhattan. On the weekends, when I wasn't playing ball, I'd be up the roof with my pigeons twelve hours a day. During the week after school, when I did attend classes, I'd be up there five or six hours. Pigeons are beautiful creatures. We always had between 150 and 200 pigeons in our coop. We'd fly them, breed them, and race them. Besides pigeons, I was always around dogs. My older brothers and sisters told me when I was born, the family dog was underneath the bed. Animals are beautiful, some even more beautiful than human beings. My beloved German Shepherd, Lucky, would have given up his life in an instant for me. He was so good; I don't understand how people could mistreat animals.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:32 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Ask people who are actually rich and successful if they ever needed a book like "Think and Grow Rich."
Ah, the cynic.

And actually that's how I found out about the book in the first place; from a rich man, and have since encountered other wealthy people who swear by it.

But I suspect you've never read it, so it's funny that you're jumping into the conversation to express your two-cent criticisms.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 183

All books are good, even fairy tales. Books may make a person rich financially or spiritually. Books are for learning and for enjoyment. Do you want to know what's funny? I never read a book without images until I was in my twenties. I loved comics, the funnies, and the sport's pages.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Shelly, interesting back story, but how does it answer my questions?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Good for you and your rich friend!

I know people with bookshelves full of self-help books, and they're clueless.

So yeah -- when you're rich, get back to me.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:39 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Good for you and your rich friend!

I know people with bookshelves full of self-help books, and they're clueless.

So yeah -- when you're rich, get back to me.
How much money in the bank, annual revenue, or net worth size do you consider rich?

EDIT: And I'm surprised you didn't chastise me for saying I want to be the most influential man or teacher since Christ.

Last edited by Konan; 11-26-2017 at 03:50 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 03:42 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 183

Konan, I'm not much for answering questions. I'd be worthless to detectives. It's just me; that's all.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Well, Shelly, with your admission that you're a boring person, I think I've kind of changed my mind about wanting to meet you in person.

I was envisioning this wild, crazy guy who acted impulsively on his emotions, but you're now telling me you're a quiet, boring person.

My apologies, but I'm going to have detract my invitation.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:52 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Rich?

Of course, that's subjective. And there are all kinds of people who have all the trappings of being rich who are up to their eyeballs in debt.

If you don't owe anyone money, if you can support yourself and your family, if you have enough left over to pursue your interests -- and give something back to people who haven't had the same opportunities you've had -- then that's my idea of success.

I don't associate any dollar amount with that.

If you're thinking in terms of "rich" or what society deems rich -- which is just an accumulation of stuff -- then no thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Rich?

Of course, that's subjective. And there are all kinds of people who have all the trappings of being rich who are up to their eyeballs in debt.

If you don't owe anyone money, if you can support yourself and your family, if you have enough left over to pursue your interests -- and give something back to people who haven't had the same opportunities you've had -- then that's my idea of success.

I don't associate any dollar amount with that.

If you're thinking in terms of "rich" or what society deems rich -- which is just an accumulation of stuff -- then no thanks.
So how am I supposed to get back to you when I'm rich if I don't even know how much money you think it takes, and whether or not it's even the amount of money I want to accumulate?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:57 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

That's your problem, not mine.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:02 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 183

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Well, Shelly, with your admission that you're a boring person, I think I've kind of changed my mind about wanting to meet you in person.

I was envisioning this wild, crazy guy who acted impulsively on his emotions, but you're now telling me you're a quiet, boring person.

My apologies, but I'm going to have detract my invitation.

Thanks for the invite, but I already told you I don't accept any, not after the restaurant incident. I'm not as fast as I used to be.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Let me put it this way --

If you need me or anyone else to tell you what you need to be content or satisfied -- whatever you want to call it, including "rich," then maybe a little self examination is in order...
Old 11-26-2017, 04:23 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,061

https://youtu.be/0VH-tJSpkjA

Sent from my whack-ass dump hole.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

If you need me or anyone else to tell you what you need to be content or satisfied -- whatever you want to call it, including "rich," then maybe a little self examination is in order...
Who said I needed someone else to tell what I need to be content or satisfied?

I know exactly what I want.

You told me to get back to you when I'm rich. And I asked how I can I do that if I don't know how much money qualifies as rich to you, and whether or not it's above or below the amount I want.

As long as I'm single, I don't want to be rich. If I got married, maybe I'd change my mind.

My goal is to work up to 100k a year within the next 5 years. That way, I can spend most of my time traveling the world studying the Alexander Technique with hundreds of teachers globally and meeting and dating very attractive women in my spare time.

And "Think and Grow Rich" is really more a book on achieving one's dreams more so than it is about making money. The choice of title was really a marketing decision. And it worked! I think 80 million copies sold.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:35 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I know exactly what I want.
Great! Then why are you asking me anything?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Great! Then why are you asking me anything?
Is there something wrong with your comprehension? I explained that in my last post. If you missed, perhaps you might want to re-read it.

And you must have missed my edit earlier on, but I'm very surprised a naysayer like you didn't chastise me for saying my aim is to be the most influential man or teacher since Christ.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I meant why are you asking me what "rich" is if you have it all figured out and you know exactly what you want?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And you must have missed my edit earlier on, but I'm very surprised a naysayer like you didn't chastise me for saying my aim is to be the most influential man or teacher since Christ.
That's a worthy goal. Good for you!
Old 11-26-2017, 04:43 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Because you told me to get back to you when I'm rich.

In order to do that (and whether or not it's even in my design), I would need to know what qualifies as rich to you. I mean, to some rich is 1M in net worth while to others it's 100M.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Because you told me to get back to you when I'm rich.
It's called irony.

"Rich" is subjective, obviously.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

It's called irony.

"Rich" is subjective, obviously.
And that's exactly why I was asking you how much money you consider rich.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

OR -- you could get back to me when YOU think you're rich...
Old 11-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Sounds good. When I'm earning 100k a year in passive income, and if this forum is still around in 5 years, I'll get back to you and let you know ... unless I'm too distracted enjoying my life to care about some random Doubting Thomas on a little-known discussion forum.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

And that's exactly why I was asking you how much money you consider rich.
I answered that in some detail.

See post #40.

I don't associate "rich" with a dollar amount.

And that's why I can't define if for you or anyone else.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

And I agree with you, somewhat. There are far richer things in life than money; namely, pleasing experiences, which often takes skill and ability more so than money to bring into one's life.

But if you're ever worrying about money and carefully budgeting to make sure ends meet, and you can't afford to do the things you really want to do that would enhance your life, are you really "rich"?

I don't underestimate the importance of money in life. But not being a materialist who desires things like a big house, cool cars and the latest gadgets, I don't overvalue it either.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

I'd say careful budgeting is one of the things that has allowed me to do the things I want to do in life.

Do I worry?

Darn right I do. As soon as you have human beings who rely on you, you're going to worry to some degree. It's one of the things that will motivate a rational person.

And maybe the self-help books do something for you. I've always been motivated and goal oriented and the map has always been somewhat intuitive to me.

Not to say I have all the answers -- I tend to seek out mentors who have something more specific to offer, rather than the more generic advice you find in motivational books. I've read some of them or tried to -- they always seem corny and obvious to me.

Me? I'm already meeting my goals, for the most part -- the ones I detailed in post #40 -- with some to put away for a rainy day.

So I'm not a naysayer -- at least when it comes to goals, planning and looking ahead -- and understanding that it takes a chunk of change in today's economy just to not live paycheck to paycheck.

I will tell you -- it takes a heck a lot more income than I ever could have imagined when I was single and just starting out. I mean, 100K sounds like a lot of money...

Last edited by Myers; 11-26-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 11-26-2017, 05:39 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 78

Are you aware of how the "rich" make their money differently from the middle class?

Learning that difference when I was 24 changed the direction of my life and how I started to spend my time and effort.

To me 100K is a small sum. I mean, all a person has to do is bring in $250 a day to make it happen. If you have a product that costs that much, all you have to work toward is making just one sale every day and the goal has been reached.

I mean, I have an acquaintance who's had $20,000 sales days... what's $250?

As Napoleon Hill preaches:

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."
Old 11-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 183

As Napoleon Hill preaches:

"Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve."

In the brewery, in our men's room, there was a message scrawled on the wall just above a urinal. It read:

"This is where Napoleon pulled his Bone-apart."
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Konan (11-26-2017)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Free Writing