Scripts Plays and script writing.

Anon.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85
Default Anon.

My newest play. About addicts. My plays are available on my website for free production at the present (Jan 2010)

Anon
Pete Malicki 2009

Cast
Man – an addict
Woman – an addict

Set
Outside a support group meeting. The back wall of a building with a door on one side of the stage. Door is not used; can be decorative.

Play
Man is leaning against the wall drinking a beer. Woman enters; stops when she sees Man. She stands with her arms crossed and they both glance furtively at each other. Eventually, he breaks the ice.

Man: You wanna sip?

Woman: No, I really don’t.

Man: Suit yourself. (BEAT) You waiting for a ride?

Woman: Actually, no. I have an important meeting.

Man: You some kind of executive? Board member or company director or something?

Woman: I’m not, actually. It’s for… well…

Man: Don’t worry sweetie. I’m going too.

Woman: Really?

Man nods.

Woman: Oh. Well, don’t you think offering me a drink is in remarkably poor taste?

Man: You kept looking at my beer. I was only being civil.

Woman: I was looking at you, not your bloody beer. Frankly I’m surprised anyone would be drinking outside… you know.

Man: There is no way I’m going in there sober.

Woman: And you think that’s a healthy attitude towards attending a support group?

Man: (DRINKS) You been to one of these before?

Woman: Well, yes. I’ve been to this one a few times.

Man: Let me tell you something. I haven’t, and I’m scared as hell. I’m about to walk into the middle of a group of strangers and expose my deepest, darkest shit to them. This is stuff I won’t tell my best friend; you know, my confidant. Forgive me for settling my nerves.

Woman: I’m so sorry.

Man nods and sips. Woman comes over and puts her hand out. Man looks at her, then hands her the beer. She sips and gives it back.

Woman: I’m not actually an alcoholic. I guess a few sips can’t hurt.

Man: Yeah? What are you then? A psychology student? A journalist looking for some heart-wrenching story about the struggle of pathetic losers like me? There’s good money in tabloid exploitation.

Woman: No, no, I’m not here to take advantage of anyone. I… I’m a different kind of addict.

Man: Oh yeah?

Woman: Yes. It’s not uncommon, apparently. These groups help people with a whole range of issues, not just alcoholism. There’s Gamblers’ Anonymous for example, or Sex Addicts Anonymous.

Man: So what's your poison?

Woman: I’d rather not say.

Man: Of course. Sorry. Didn’t mean to pry.

Woman considers the man thoughtfully. Beat.

Woman: I’m really sorry about what I said before. I know how brave you are for coming here. It took me three years to find the courage. I mean, who cares if you take a little something to settle the nerves on your first day? (BEAT) Okay, why don’t I help you? If you’d like, you can talk to me while we’re waiting. I’ll just listen. That way you can get comfortable talking to a stranger. It’ll help for when you’re inside – trust me.

Man: What do you want to hear?

Woman: Whatever you want to talk about.

Man: Okay. Well, I’m a researcher. I used to work as a sociology lecturer at Sydney University. Up until last year. I lost my job because of my… condition. Fortunately I have enough publications under my belt to work independently of the uni.

Woman: Wow, that’s impressive.

Man: What is, losing my job?

Woman: Oh no, I meant…

Man: You meant it’s impressive that the guy standing outside an AA meeting drinking a beer is not a loser but an intellectual. I know. Judging by appearance factors into sociological studies somewhere, I’m sure.

Woman: There’s no need to be patronising.

Man: Sorry. You’re right. I’m just on edge.

Woman: When did you first start drinking?

Man: Age thirteen.

Woman: I mean… heavily.

Man: Age fourteen.

Woman: Christ. I’m sorry to hear…

Man: What about you? Tell me about yourself.

Woman: Oh. My name is…

Man: Anon.

Woman: What?

Man: Anonymous. You can’t tell me your name; it defeats the purpose. It isn’t Alcoholics in Alphabetical Order.

Woman: June. If you can find me on Facebook with just my first name I’ll give you twenty bucks.

Man: Fair point. June.

Woman: I’m in marketing. PR. I teach companies how to present a positive image of themselves and conceal what they’re actually like. Something I’m very good at doing for myself. Like most people these days I’m an expert at the surface and an utter failure at the underlying problems.

Man: You’re remarkably candid.

Woman: I’m just being honest. You’ll find that as you attend more meetings, you’ll be increasingly open. The more you feel comfortable telling, the more it helps.

Man: Hmm.

Woman: Why don’t you tell me about an occasion when your problem has messed things up for you?

Man: I’d really rather not. Let’s test your theory. We’re obviously going to struggle if you don’t even feel comfortable telling my what you’re addicted to. Instead, why don’t you tell me why an intelligent woman like yourself persists in a career she finds so soul-destroying.

Woman: Let me explain something to you…

Man: Anon.

Woman: Great. Let me explain something Mr Anonymous. These are called support groups because people support each other in them. Being judgemental and holier-than-thou will create nothing but hostility. And it’s a bit rich to criticise my closed doors if you won’t even tell me your name.

Man: I’m only making an observation.

Woman: No, you’re making an assumption.

Man finishes his beer. Beat.

Man: This one occasion, I came home at three a.m.. My wife was in bed but she heard the door and woke up. She started asking me questions about where I’d been and why had I taken a cab and left our car in the city. I was exhausted. I undressed and lay in bed. But she could smell what I’d been doing; it was on my breath. ‘How could you?!’ she screamed. 'I couldn't not,' I replied. 'It's out of my control.' 'How many times have you promised me this would never happen again?' 'I can't keep those promises. I've tried to stop but I can't. I have the best of intentions but the worst of compulsions. Opportunity presents and I'm sucked down into it.' 'I fucking hate you! You're a lying pig. You're such a weak, miserable cunt.' 'Is this how you show your husband support?' And then she slapped me across the face. It was both physical and symbolic, that slap; the ultimate display of her contempt for my problem. I hit her right back. Hard. Everything I hate about myself was embodied in that action. I was hitting myself and trying to devastate my target. I didn't deserve her, or anything else. I was nothing but a weak, miserable cunt.

Man: (cont.) My wife didn't press charges but she sent me the dental bill and divorce papers in the one envelope. It's only when I had nothing more to lose that I could begin rebuilding my life.

Woman: Wow.

Man: Yep.

Woman: Well, you've outdone me. (BEAT) I have bulimia. I kind of more or less hate myself and I gorge to feel better. When I have an... episode, I go into this frenzy, and I shake like crazy, and I lose all control. It feels like I'm watching someone else do it. And it doesn't make me feel the slightest bit better. I'm not a vomiter, either. I eat until I’m sick and bloated then starve myself the next day.

Man: June, I'm very sorry. It's important to remember that my pain does not make yours any less significant. You may not have lost your wife and job but you're still suffering.

Woman: That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said for me. (BEAT) And wow, I knew alcohol was bad, but your story is heart-wrenching.

Man: What can I say. I'm an experienced addict. (BEAT) But I'm not an alcoholic.

Woman: What?!

Man: I'm a sex addict.

Woman: You're joking? (BEAT) You're not joking. So your wife didn't smell alcohol on your breath. And you weren't drunk at work, you must have...

Man: Four of them.

Woman: Four what? Students.

Man: Four in one class. The professor was pissed when he found out one was the daughter of some wanker associate.

Woman: Geez.

Man: Did you like me better as an alcoholic?

Woman: I... well, I don't know. You're in just as much pain either way.

Man: I believe I am.

Beat.

Woman: Do you want to go for a drink? I think we can help each other more than the group can help us.

Man: Yeah, sure.

Woman: Great. But I'm not going to have sex with you.

Man: You worried about indulging my addiction?

Woman: Yes, frankly I am. Besides, we only just met.

Man: That's usually how it works.

Woman: Not tonight, anonymous.

Man and Woman start walking off stage.

Man: Are you sure? I won’t be a stranger after tonight, and that makes a one night stand so much less fun.

Woman: Do you really expect that to sway me?

Man: It works about twenty percent of the time.

Woman: I don't even know why I'm not storming off the other way.

Man: I've been told my cheeky charm is... addictive.

Woman: I certainly hope not.

Man and Woman leave the stage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become

Last edited by PeteMalicki; 01-13-2010 at 03:01 AM..
Old 01-13-2010, 02:36 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

This was hilarious

I did expect more of an ending though LIke that he was doing this whole wounded soldier lost my wife act to pick up self effacing girls with eating disorders or whatever addiction he ran into lol

Still good stuff!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Hilarious?? It's a drama, damn it! I'm trying so hard not to write comedies and people keep telling me my new plays are funny!!!!!

Yeah, the ending could probably be stronger. I'm going to stage test it and get a feel for what might work better...

Thanks for your comment!
Pete

|
|

Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Hmm, have to agree with Calli. The ending was a bit of a let-down. I didn't have any real expectations of what it would be, but it just seems to fizzle out. Hope the stage test gives you some ideas.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Thanks.

Not all theatre/writing is riding on an exciting/unexpected ending. I don't think given the theme, a twist would be appropriate. Something like the guy turning out to be a faker would trivialise the entire story.

We'll see what happens.

Cheers
Pete

|
|

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I don't necessarily think you need a twist, Pete, but the ending doesn't have a resolution, which also means the piece lacks focus. What is the point? What am I meant to take away from this? It's like eavesdropping on a conversation but leaving before you learn enough to understand what's happening. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough here to make me wonder what happens next. (With really good stories, I often extrapolate what happens next after the closing pages.) I'm more like to say, hmm, that was curious, and forget it.

Sorry to sound so negative, because I did enjoy the piece enough to keep reading until the end; I just feel it ended too soon.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

I think that's the nature of the form, Q Wands (10 min theatre). There's not really enough time to tell a rounded, conclusive story, or at least, depending on what kind of story you're telling, there's often too little time.

There's also the issue of reading something which is meant to be performed and watched. I've read loads of short plays which looked awful on paper, but really worked live. In this case, sure, I can see that the ending could be stronger, but I really don't think it's unresolved - it's a story about two people going to a support group because they need help dealing with their problems, and finding it elsewhere. Rather than a short love story, it's a short... support story!

Anyways, I'll get it performed then see how well it works and get clearer ideas of what I need to do. By all means, if you have a better ending to suggest, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for the feedback!
Pete

|
|

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Ah, you have a time limit. I hadn't realised that. So it's more of a sketch really, and not a full on play. That would explain it. Don't I feel silly now.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:29 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Not at all! It's a valid concern irrespective of how long the play is. Just because there's a time limit, doesn't mean you have an excuse for a lack of ending.

But it's written as a 10 min play, as I'm involved with theatre groups that perform such things. So it's within those parameters. But anyways, I'll get it staged sometime and see how it looks live...

Pete

PS for gammal foer att rocka wtf?

|
|

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Originally Posted by PeteMalicki View Post
PS for gammal foer att rocka wtf?
A nod to my Swedish heritage.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

too old to rock, too young to die...

How depressing!

|
|

Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

It doesn't mean I don't try. I just pay for it the next day.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:56 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

So if I was to say 'break a leg' that might be a little too risky?

|
|

Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I haven't broken anything in years but not for not trying!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Well more power to you.

By the way, you've had those boots for a long time. I think you need to replace them...

|
|

Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Legs (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default Your play

I really enjoyed it. Very believable dialogue. I felt her sense of uncertainty about him and then her gradually warm to him. I think you accomplished a lot in a small time. I also liked how you left it at them end. Nice twist about him being a sex addict too.

Also something I noticed in your response to one of the other message - you said people are always saying your work is funny but you want to write serious stuff. I think you could go either way with this play - with the right stage directions and actors it could easily be a black comedy. It might be a good exercise to write to sets of stage directions and have your actors workshop it both ways? If you have time and patient actors!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Originally Posted by PeteMalicki View Post
By the way, you've had those boots for a long time. I think you need to replace them...
And you're still drinking that same cup of coffee.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM
impisus (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

First off, I'd like to say I enjoyed it. It was a solid intro with the woman entering off stage(and thus 'meeting her') and then meeting the guy helped us 'meet' him as well. (hope that makes sense).
Dialog was believable and interesting. I really started to get a feel for the characters and sympathies with them.

I know people are complaining about the ending and how it kind of leaves you hanging. because its a ten minute long play I highly doubt any one will solve the problems of two addicts in that amount of time. However, there should be a sense of accomplishment with the characters. a hurdle they overcome that makes them a better person than when they started. Obviously the man opened up which was a hurdle from the beginning, but we didn't get an impression that he's any better of a person because of it. Instead he continues with his addiction (as far as we could tell. I guess no one knows what happens later that night). I feel if maybe instead of him leaving he should probably stay for the group, having realized that he needs help and not temptation. Or if he does leave with the woman there should be a clear understanding that hes seeking help, and not just another lay.
Well, that's what I think at least. Maybe it will help in finding a more solid ending. right now it seems like there should be a second act that picks up further in the night or at some other point. Like its still on going.

Also Legs mentioned stage lighting and direction and such. I suggest at the beginning of the script set the mood a bit. Talk about how the lighting should look, if there's music playing, what the people are wearing (wardrobe is probably not a big concern, but it may help the reader imagine it a bit more.)

Lastly, this is kind of my personal thoughts as far as how the man should act, there is a point where the mans talking about coming home to his wife and then they argue and then he slaps her. I think you should write a bit about how the actor should portray these. Maybe as he explains the argument and tensions rise he should raise his voice and then when the slap comes BAM! he claps right in front of the ladies face. To me the man seems kind of in your face, stand-offish (mainly because hes nervous). I don't know its just a thought.

good stuff!
Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
And you're still drinking that same cup of coffee.
That's a stage cup. Used it for my author photo. It's actually water, and I gotta drink 2L per day.

|
|

Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Thanks Legs and Impisus for your kind words and feedback.

I always used to add loads of stage directions, lighting, tone, etc etc, but have subsequently been told over and over again that it's the director's job to deal with this stuff. On paper it makes a play look barer, sure, but any good director will see what the writer is trying to achieve, or will have their own approach. Nowadays, I prefer to leave it blank so the director has maximum scope. Also, I either direct my own plays or get someone I know to do so.

Thanks also for the ideas for the ending. Will think about this.

Cheers
Pete

|
|

Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 PM
slump (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

It does come off as humorous. There's not too much else that counteracts that. I can see the drama. Cool little piece
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 PM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 85

Thanks dude! Glad you enjoyed.
Pete

|
|

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction > Scripts