WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Perchance to Dream?

Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59
Default Perchance to Dream?

Hi all, do any of you use night dreams to either influence or actually use as the plot of a writing? I have done this multiple times and now have 12 chapters of a book which is a fantasy of a destroyed earth completely run by the dreams I've had and written down over ten or more years. The inner me is slightly disturbed to say the least. Maybe that's why I'm so vanilla on top.

Share a dream!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Compliments of the Author: Debbie Bumstead
The Following User Says Thank You to Luciaphile For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-31-2017)
Old 12-29-2017, 08:27 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

jp-inkwell, maybe I am the only one who uses dreams, eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:27 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,859

("...not intentionally, my dreams are a bit too worrisome to serve that purpose..." mentioned the goblin not liking to see a thread go unanswered though, then adding "...but I have noted that my dreams are more intense, and better remembered too, whenever I've been writing awhile, yet I'm kind of weary of my dreams though, they can play on my fears at times, where one is supposed to awake rested I know, but instead I awake puzzled, perplexed and wondering if it was a vision or had some sort of message, well that sort of thing...", and with that the goblin just wished everyone a happy new year)

Last edited by fleamailman; 01-01-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 12-31-2017, 06:11 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979

As far as I know, I almost never dream. Well, everyone dreams, but I donít remember doing so.

So... nope.

Itís an interesting idea and Iíve always wished I could experience it. But alas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:28 AM
Myers (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 401

Nah. My dreams are the standard kind of thing like showing up for class, there's an exam and you didn't study for it. Or having sex with your third grade teacher only it's now and you're on a bus and you have a football helmet on. Oh, and your wife is driving the bus and all the passengers are nuns and circus clowns...

Last edited by Myers; 01-01-2018 at 06:33 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (01-01-2018), Luciaphile (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:04 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Nah. My dreams are the standard kind of thing like showing up for class, there's an exam and you didn't study for it. Or having sex with your third grade teacher only it's now and you're on a bus and you have a football helmet on. Oh, and your wife is driving the bus and all the passengers are nuns and circus clowns...

That actually sounds like a great story. You should write that one.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

I'm afraid I'm with brianpatrick- If I dream I forget about it the next morning. I feel like I'm being shortchanged. Denied a rich source of new material through no fault of my own. I am most creative, and I solve most problems in the morning when I run. I can figure out most things over a 4` mile run.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Connie For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (01-01-2018), fleamailman (01-01-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 58

not being able to dream sounds like a travesty, i can't imagine never remembering a single dream. we all dream even if its not on recall. does anyone still remember their dreams from childhood?

some mornings i don't remember, but each month i have a series of vivid plays. there's a lot to be said about dreams, actually, the book i'm working on features dreams in a way that would blow the mind. i don't share mine like i use to, but i've found that nightmares are severely important. my personal research experiment took 26 years to finally tie itself together. it's wild.

but a fact i came across recently was a dream about Abraham Lincoln and an assassination dream he had three days before he was shot. It's historical in terms of what there's to be learned about what we could see in our sleep;scroll to "Lincoln's Premonitions" for Abe's dream

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assass...braham_Lincoln

Last edited by Beesauce; 01-01-2018 at 05:20 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Beesauce For This Useful Post:
Luciaphile (01-03-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 06:45 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979

I donít really remember any childhood dreams. Bits and pieces, maybe, but those are mostly the typical going to school naked or flapping my arms hard enough to fly and doing it.

I do remember a dream I had that ultimately led to my leaving Los Angeles and returning to Phoenix. I was in a bad crowd, doing a lot of drugs, and drinking heavily. I had a dream that Tony Levin (an idol of mine) kept coming into this room I was staying in and hitting me on the back and head with his bass guitar. Each time he did it, I just hunkered down and took it. It hurt, and I kept wishing it would stop, but it just kept going and going on for what seemed like days.

I eventually took it as a sign. I sold all my stuff to a friend and gave away the rest and went back to Phoenix.

Iím not sure Iíve ever told anybody that.

The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Beesauce (01-01-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Connie (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 25

hmmm brianpatrick - maybe being deprived of my dreams is a gift- not an encumbrance.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:16 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979

Iím glad I donít remember my dreams either these days. Theyíd probably be filled with stupid employees, irrational customers, and menacing IRS functionaries.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 54

Some of the stories I've written are a direct thought child of stuff I dream about.

I had this really weird sci-fi world pop into my head in the ethereal grasp of sleep. It was pretty deep, But I have trouble translating it.

I mean, I can picture it in my head, but I can't find the words to explain it.

I'll normally have a dream and then muse on what I remember while in the shower or while eating breakfast. It's a wonderful way to wake up.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979

Originally Posted by Lockette View Post
Some of the stories I've written are a direct thought child of stuff I dream about.

I had this really weird sci-fi world pop into my head in the ethereal grasp of sleep. It was pretty deep, But I have trouble translating it.

I mean, I can picture it in my head, but I can't find the words to explain it.

I'll normally have a dream and then muse on what I remember while in the shower or while eating breakfast. It's a wonderful way to wake up.

Smoke some DMT. You still might not be able to describe it in words, but at least youíll know itís real.

However, you might become one of those dudes sleeping under the freeway overpasses in Los Angeles.

So... your pick.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:26 PM
Lockette (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 54

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Smoke some DMT. You still might not be able to describe it in words, but at least youíll know itís real.

However, you might become one of those dudes sleeping under the freeway overpasses in Los Angeles.

So... your pick.

Tempting. I think I'll hold on to that particular dream for now. I'd rather not know whether or not it's real. though Los Angeles would be pretty neat to see, even through the eyes of a bum.

Honestly, it felt like I had taken some magic mushrooms or something ( but I didn't, trust me). It was very different. You know the tracks roller coasters go on? those were suspended throughout the street, and there were trams on them, moving between the different skyscrapers. And everything was a different shade of blue. I kinda just stood there and looked around. It was pretty trippy.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 979
Default Perchance to Dream?

I lived in Los Angeles for almost ten years (or surrounding areas). Youíre not missing much, especially these days. Itís a weird culture. There are a lot of interesting people, but almost too many to live comfortably.

Nashvilleís the same way in a different way, but prettier.

Something about the draw of fame that brings out the psychos.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

I've written down so many dreams that I now have a pretty good idea of the world in there inside my unconscious. It is mainly a post apocalyptic-like scene with intelligent talking animals, flying and breathing underwater people and many troubles for the girl (I'm almost always about 25, even though I'm 63 now) and her companions. I started a novel of this world and want to finish it some day.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM
Luciaphile (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 59

PS I am a totally sober person, don't drink, haven't been high since I was 22, but I still have wild and exciting dreams and imaginative ideas. It is possible!

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe