WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Existential literature

Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM
moops (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 13
Default Existential literature

So I've read Camus' 'the stranger'.

Does anyone have any other existentialist lit recommendation?

Old 08-28-2011, 03:18 AM
Flippant (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.
Or any of his works, I suppose. Gravity's Rainbow is his most popular work, along with V.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:54 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Talks with the Devil - P.D Ouspensky was a good read, less heavy going than Camus.

I had a look at "The Rebel" by Camus as well, looking at the forward and the intro it promises to be a special work.

I've heard good things about Franz Kafka metamorphosis and others... you can tell I'm playing catch up here, but these types of works have only recently presented themselves to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post

I've heard good things about Franz Kafka metamorphosis
Indeed. Metamorphosis is brilliant.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 11-22-2011, 01:10 AM
Nadja

The Plague is the only work by Camus I've read. It's got one of the best final paragraphs I ever read. Rest is quite good too.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Nobody's mentioned Sartre's Nausea. Or, one of my favourite books of all time, Hesse's Steppenwolf.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:39 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Nobody's mentioned Sartre's Nausea. Or, one of my favourite books of all time, Hesse's Steppenwolf.
As mentioned, playing catch up... but I'm intrigued, thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

If you read nothinhg else, read Steppenwolf.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:31 PM
a4et2n (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 180

Try No Exit (Sartre) too. The ending is quite true.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:51 AM
richards89 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 15

My book.

http://amygdalaparallel.activeboard....k-to-the-book/

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-16-2011, 06:39 AM
courtney_autumn (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 154

Ooh, thank you Mike for mentioning Steppenwolf. Siddhartha is such a lovely book; I've wanted to read more Hesse but wasn't sure where to begin.

Also, I'd like to chime in with a existential recommendation for one of my favorite novels, The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera.

"Chance and chance alone has a message for us. Everything that occurs out of necessity, everything expected, repeated day in and day out, is mute. Only chance can speak to us. We read its message much as gypsies read the images made by coffee grounds at the bottom of a cup."
Old 02-05-2012, 03:12 AM
Chris Marx (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 3

Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky. Which is considered by many as the first existentialist novel.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:40 AM
fLeaManS (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

People have already recommended Camus and Sartre and Kafka.

I'd like to recommend some Kafka short stories - a good intro to Kafka's darker side with some nice concise tales about meaning, life, art/work and existence -

'In the Penal Colony'

'A Hunger Artist'

You can find the full texts of these online. Just do a google search.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Essam Eldin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

Well, if we speak of existential philosophy and literature, there is so many things to talk about. and we can find the existential drama in so many movies and Japanese anime. but if we're speaking about reading then I would recommend Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. Sartre have stated that TBK indicates the existential crisis which is the statement in the novel"If god did not exist, then everything is permitted". and most of Dostoevsky's works has existential sense in it, like "Notes From The Underground", "Crime and Punishment", and maybe most or all of his works are psychological with philosophical reflection. Also Sarte's works are existential I mean he stated that he's an existentialist "you might want to tell me (you don't say)". Camus, Nietzsche, Kierkegaard( the father of existentialism), Jack Kerouac, Kafka's "The Trial", "The Castle", "The judgment", "Amerika", "The Hunger Artist", may be all of his works are existential. and also Samuel Becket's "Waiting for Godot", and believe or not Lewis Carroll's "Alice In Wonderland" and "Through The Looking Glass" has a psychological depth that indicates existentialism, almost every psychological writing or movie or anime has the sense of existentialism because as Sarte said "Existentialism is Humanism" the famous work. Charles Dickens's works defines despair, suffering and approval, specially "Bleak House" Kafka said that he only wanted to write a Dickens's novel. George Orwell's "1984", and "Animal Farm". His political writings reviews a conspiracy and the sense of insecurity. Shakespeare's "Hamlet", and "Macbeth" his tragedies in general. and Dante's "The Divine Comedy" an epic poetry of the afterlife and the darkness in human beings. Nikolai Gogol's "The Nose", Gustav Meyrink's "The Golem", Harold Pinter's The Birthday Party",Elias Canetti's "Kafka's Other Trial", Knut Hamsun's "Hunger", and the modern existential and psychological writings includes the writings of Chuck Palahniuk specifically "Fight Club", and "Choke", Phillip K. Dick specifically "A Scanner Darkly" and Bret Easton's "American Psycho". and I have to say that not every piece of literature specified as existential is a dead end. There are far more interesting works that defines existentialism without being said to be existential. But as a rule every psychological writing has to be considered existential. forgot to mention Joseph Conrad's psychological realism theme specifically "Lord Jim", "Heart Of Darkness". and if you research it on the Wikipedia you'll find so many others.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Hunger
Hamsun

And then there is the movie of his life with Max von Sydow (titled "Hamsun").

When Knut finally, after much difficulty, got one of the two leading authors in his country to read his stuff the advice he was given by way of critique was "Take up house painting".
Old 05-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Essam Eldin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

There is a movie adapted from the novel "Fight Club". you surely might heard about it. it's really great!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by Essam Eldin View Post
There is a movie adapted from the novel "Fight Club". you surely might heard about it. it's really great!
Friend, I train hand to hand (google "silat" and "judo" for some idea of what that means) every Sunday. Fight Club is a fantasy.

Knut tried eatin' his own flesh to stave off hunger. And he wrote about it. He also lived life true to his ideals. And he took hard hits for doing so.

The movie (Hunger) shows you how much commitment it can require to be yourself.

And, for what it's worth, I saw Fight Club when it first came out (didn't know it was from a book then and these days I read factual accounts that masquerade as fiction about current world changing activities. Try "Black Site" by Dalton Fury for a learning curve boost regarding writing tight, fast and well.)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Willya lookit dat- Amazon lets you read the first three chapters for free. I wonder if Rabbit would be interested in this since it shows two actual ways of employing a .22 when making hits above the shoulders.

Man, that Kolt Raynor- whatta piece of work.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Essam Eldin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

When we speak about existential movies. it also comes to mind "The Machinist" and "Shutter Island". as a matter of fact there is some much on my mind regarding existentialism. metal music, Japanese anime, Hollywood movies. and personal experience, I'll try the movie you recommended. and Well if we can be friends, then it would be a pleasure to meet you. I write with an existential theme. for example I'm writing a novel called "Divine Sickness Project" and "The Salvation Company" which is a short story that soon I'll post on Writer's Beat.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,388

Originally Posted by Essam Eldin View Post
When we speak about existential movies. it also comes to mind "The Machinist" and "Shutter Island". as a matter of fact there is some much on my mind regarding existentialism. metal music, Japanese anime, Hollywood movies. and personal experience, I'll try the movie you recommended. and Well if we can be friends, then it would be a pleasure to meet you. I write with an existential theme. for example I'm writing a novel called "Divine Sickness Project" and "The Salvation Company" which is a short story that soon I'll post on Writer's Beat.
Okay.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Essam Eldin (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 6

It would be a pleasure if you check my existential short story "Insidious". I have just posted.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library