WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Blah Blah Blah History...Kill Something

Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Xavier (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 6
Default Blah Blah Blah History...Kill Something

I really need help guys...and gals.

I have been working on my story recently and read what I have already written and I find myself thinking that I am delaying a lot of action from happening with protagonist. I don't start with a bang but more like "the bang will happen because of this" you know giving a status report. I need to know if that is going to turn off readers (readers of fantasy fiction where you don't have an understanding of things already). It makes sense to me because it's my story I know everything in this world but, I want to give the reader some intell on the situation too (to avoid them thinking my story is not logical).

Don't get the wrong idea that I'm writing about the King's great great great grand pappy who established order for the nation; It is more like the reader is in a press conference about "why we have to destroy your village and I hope you understand...thank you die now".

I have written a lot I like and know I'm going to have "kick some of my grown kids out" to make room for progress. I just don't how to get rid of an appropiate amount of detailed explanations and still have the action make sense for a reader.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Only you know how you want your story to work out, but consider the words of Cecil B De Mille (I think):

Start with an earthquake and work up to a climax.

And from the Agents pet peeves thread:

"Slow writing with a lot of description puts me off very quickly. I like a first chapter that moves quickly and draws me in so I'm immediately hooked."
- Andrea Hurst, Andrea Hurst Literary Management

" 'The Weather' is always a problem - the author feels he has to set up the scene and tell us who the characters are, etc. I like starting a story in media res."
- Elizabeth Pomada, Larsen-Pomada Literary Agents

"I know this may sound obvious, but too much 'telling' vs. 'showing' in the first chapter is a definite warning sign for me – the first chapter should present a compelling scene, not a road map for the rest of the book. The goal is to make the reader curious about your characters, fill their heads with questions that must be answered, not fill them in on exactly where, when, who and how. Don’t ever describe eye color either..."
- Emily Sylvan Kim, Prospect Agency

And the often quoted advice - switch chapter 1 and 2 around. Start right in the middle of the action, explain it later.
Xavier (04-06-2010)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues