WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction > Scripts

Scripts Plays and script writing.

Evil Uncle Lin's Screenwriting BS Series #3 -- Engineering Misunderstanding

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Lin

Default Evil Uncle Lin's Screenwriting BS Series #3 -- Engineering Misunderstanding

A dramatic writing knack I haven't seen discussed is what I'm going to call "the engineering of misunderstanding". It's very vital to a lot of drama--and more so comedies--and you get an ear for the guys that really do it right.

And sometimes you have to just fluff it all and hope you get away with it.

Basically, I'm talking about setups that depend on one person's actions or attitudes being depending on a misunderstanding of another character's actions of speech. The closer they move together, the tougher it is to rig up.

Naturally every screwball comedy or "Lucy" episode has the broad misunderstadings: the half-overheard phonecall, misinterpreted message, etc. I'm talking about something a little more substantial than that.

A masterpiece is seen in an excellent script: Nurse Betty. Betty is under the delusion that she is engaged to the doctor on a TV hospital sitcom and lights out to hook up with him. The closer she gets in--actually finding the hospital in L.A., for instance--the harder it gets for her not to get clued in. Finally she is actually on the shooting set of the show, face to face with the actor, but the writer keeps pulling rabbits out of his hat that enable her illusion to remain intact without straining belief or doing anything too ridiculous or contrived.

When you examine films with this in mind you start seeing many dialogues in which everything has to be excrutiatingly word-for-word in order to avoid having the people tumble to the fact that she's not really shacked up with the Count or he isn't really a fortune hunter or whatever.

A good example of one way such a confrontation is handled is when the dance instructor confront's Baby's father in "Dirty Dancing". Dad says, essentially, "I see an irresponsible womanizer who got his partner pregant, then abandoned her for an innocent younger girl."
All Swayze has to do is say, "Wait a minute, it wasn't ME who knocked her up," and our movie goes down the drain.
Instead, he huffs, "I guess that's what you would see." and stomps off, leaving the fallacious impression.
It's pretty hokey, really, but it flies.

Here's an example of a way such an interaction can get blown to pieces, yet still work, I think: In "Head In The Clouds", Gilda, whose been sleeping with a Nazi asshole, is confronted by the brother of a girl her SS boyfriend torured to death. She says, "You don't understand," and he kills her, a real punch in the gut because the character is about as perfect as you can imagine Theron could make her.
But all she had to do was say, "I was spying on the Nazi. You can check with...." Instead they cut.
Leaving, I would surmise, other who saw it like I was:"Jesus Christ, what a waste; all she had to do was say..."
But perhaps that's the intended effect?

Anyway, the purpose of this is to heighten awareness of such moments and not only the delicacy required to trip through the wires of perception, and some examples of how it can be slam-dunked, finessed, or simply lopped off and let the viewer stew in it.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Redlorry

I don't think this just applies to scripts, it's good advice for all forms of writing.

I love twists in my writing and this sort of stuff helps me get them.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Lin

Yes, this is definitely applicable to all sorts of writing.
It's just most commonly seen in scripts, especially since it's a staple of sitcoms and comdeoy films.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM
midwestamp (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 168

Nice insight. Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by midwestamp; 05-18-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 10:06 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

We have a saying around my house, 'It makes the story!"

When something on the tv or movie is unbelievable, almost insanely so, we say this to remind each other not to yell at the tube anymore lol.

Example: We watched "The New Daughter" Last night, a Kev Costner stikes back gone flat placing him in my farewell book along side Val Kilmer...

Anyway, he has something attack and kill a police office in the car along with him but does he A. Even try to radio for help? B. Use his cell phone that he was JUST on to call 911? C. Do anything rational?

No.

He heads home, runs in the house, and picks up the now dead phone on the wall.

My point?

Well he needed to be secluded with the monsters, with no help on the way in a reasonable time. What was needed? Suspense! How did we get it? Stupidity lol

Just another thing needed in writing. Reactions that are not ALWAYS the wisest !

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction > Scripts