WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

how to revive a forum??

Old 07-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Communication is key and to be totally honest I don't think many here know how to.
No offence but that is my general opinion.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
Communication is key and to be totally honest I don't think many here know how to.
No offence but that is my general opinion.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate." -- line from the movie "Cool Hand Luke."
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 22

Speaking as a relative newcomer who joined well after this forum's heyday (or so I've been told), the only way to get this place active is with a surge of new content (in the fiction, member's only, and poetry sections especially) and a surge of new commenters. There needs to be more writing and more people willing to comment on that writing, and less of the dick-measuring and dithering in the off topic sections.

I don't think it's likely to happen, though.

I'll bet elsewhere there are rules in place to encourage commenting. You must comment on three stories for every piece you post, for instance. This probably helps to a significant degree, because the real problem is writers themselves. They finish a story, they post it, and they're desperate to hear feedback, never mind everyone else. I'm guilty of it. Writers (artists) are a selfish bunch.

And it's that much harder when there aren't many other stories to comment on. Sorry folks, but I don't have much to say about your 500-word vignette. What do you want people to say, that the writing is good, that you should change line X to make it read such and such way? Make an honest effort, dummies. I understand flash fiction is its own animal, but vignette does not equal flash fiction.

I'm part of the problem because I post more of my own shit than I comment on others'. Then again, I write a hell of a lot more too.

Like Brian, this site has helped my writing tremendously. I'm thankful for it and for those around here that somehow still manage to care about the fiction being posted. I hope it gets better, but I don't think it will. Still, I'll slug it out with you guys and make a better effort to comment on stories if I think I have any valuable input. For the poetry folks, though, I apologize - I can't give you any better than "I dig it" or "I don't".
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseK1213 For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-04-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68

Please input any ideas that may encourage forum interaction

my first suggestion:
only be online to indicate you are ready to interact no matter what
that green light does it all

What? You getting bored with your job? Poking and prodding with all those lists?

Where'd you get that violin? Let's start there

Green light?
Red light

B.P. said it all -- forum leaders make games and people either play or don't play

It's all quiet simple, but this forum needs not a structure for it is already a lost cause kind of like most wars followed by myths --

Historian Thucydides anyone? Literature forum?

Anyone read the introduction to why Thucydides recounted what he could about the literal accounts and eye witnesses to the Peloponnesian War?
Nacia (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM
spshane (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 73

A writing forum is kind of like an ad-hoc karate school, where it's not really clear who the senseis are and who the students are. Of course, there are always a few self-appointed senseis and it becomes clear that they were the ones who showed up five minutes early to get a name tag. If there's a real Miyagi in the house, he has to go around kicking ass for a while to show to everyone that he knows what he's talking about; that is, until he realizes that he's not getting paid and none of his students actually respect him. So, why do it? You have all ability and interest levels mixed into one big heap. Can you unheap the heap? Well, you can unheap anything, but do you have the resources?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:15 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 22

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
A writing forum is kind of like an ad-hoc karate school, where it's not really clear who the senseis are and who the students are. Of course, there are always a few self-appointed senseis and it becomes clear that they were the ones who showed up five minutes early to get a name tag. If there's a real Miyagi in the house, he has to go around kicking ass for a while to show to everyone that he knows what he's talking about; that is, until he realizes that he's not getting paid and none of his students actually respect him. So, why do it? You have all ability and interest levels mixed into one big heap. Can you unheap the heap? Well, you can unheap anything, but do you have the resources?
Bleh. It's unrealistic to hope for a Miyagi in a writing forum. That's to say, one who's actually walked the walk and can provide the "wax on, wax off" kind of critique, the stork-stance that will help writers trounce all other opponents and get published on the first go-round.

But are there people here who can help? Absolutely. That's been proven.

It takes a village.

And it takes people willing to learn.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:45 PM
spshane (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by JesseK1213 View Post
Bleh. It's unrealistic to hope for a Miyagi in a writing forum. That's to say, one who's actually walked the walk and can provide the "wax on, wax off" kind of critique, the stork-stance that will help writers trounce all other opponents and get published on the first go-round.

It takes a village.

Alright, Hillary, lead the village then. We'll even give you a name tag.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:05 PM
JesseK1213 (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 22

How coy.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...I love this thread, it has no particular topic really, just those who post here have what it takes to keep me returning..." smiled the goblin enjoying the reads)

repost from elsewhere, the "how to revive the forum" thread

"...naah, I'm never here for those reviews anyway, in that I don't expect others to review my posts that is, anymore than I think that my inability to write qualifies me to review their works neither..." related the goblin between the showers outside on what seemed a day badly missing that fast forward button then, and the bistro lacked flowers too, moreover, the two italians not knowing each other had decided to strike up a conversation shouting over the floor at one another, then adding "...no, instead I'm here because I realize that there are more readers reading short interactive content, which are what these post mostly are then, than most anything else going, meaning what exactly, meaning that I have to keep an eye on the hitcount to those threads I frequent lest I lose sight of you my readers...", in fact, it was all rather simple really, for inside the goblin's mind was an endless array of possibilities as of which unknown to him yet that he could try to grasp for with his pen still, whereas outside the goblin's mind was just his reality of hearing yet more italian now, none of which he understand by the way, or if he closed his ears to that italian noise, looking at plants without flowers though there too he imagined he could wait for them to flower if he had to now, or finally he cold look through the bistro window at passersby in hope that at least one of them was mad, well mad enough to do something quite mad by it, anything really, to the goblin concluded with a sigh "...alas humans today once more my reality compels me back into my imagination again where to be quite honest with you your forum is like hotel california to me, for here is my imagination..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 07-09-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Old 07-05-2018, 11:45 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

How coy.
what? the real McCoy?
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

It takes a village.

A Miyagi?
This thread is about making the forum more active and getting more
members to get involved. It is not just about critique and getting published.

If that make sense.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 68
Default lifejacket?

A Miyagi?
This thread is about making the forum more active and getting more
members to get involved. It is not just about critique and getting published.

If that make sense.

This forum is a sinking ship and needs no leaders. Chaos is the preference as this community is too small to be anything more than as active as it is already -- you can try and invite more clowns to the party Nacia, and I predict that's the only way to 'revive' these feces smeared walls in the house of Wbeating --

Why participate anymore? Why change? -- No use. No reason. Just stay and keep participating. There is nothing you can do and whoever owns this forum is probably highly entertained by all the floundering villagers.

I must say, the name "WritersBEAT" was near prophetic in nature as this is just a place to beat each other up. Karate?! Sp! HiYEAH~ who's getting paid?
Nacia (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

When I joined there was as much or more posting of writing as there was in the IT section.

There were some talented writers, and some talented editors that were here.

We've had a lot of Staff and helpers "hounded" or persecuted until they slipped (mostly quietly) into the night.

Perhaps remaining staff should have some posting requirements? A piece a month?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 PM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 183

Not more ďwhy isnít the forum better?Ē navel gazing. My God, if we lumped together all these heyday threads weíd have enough material for a book. Not a very good one, either.

If you need some happy clappy cheerleading mod to get you motivated youíre not much of a writer, are you? If you have something to say it will burn inside you, it will give you no peace until you get it out.

So what if thereís less Ďnoiseí on the forum? Itís here when you need it. Be grateful for that.
Nacia (07-07-2018), Prodigalson (07-22-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:44 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
When I joined there was as much or more posting of writing as there was in the IT section.

There were some talented writers, and some talented editors that were here.

We've had a lot of Staff and helpers "hounded" or persecuted until they slipped (mostly quietly) into the night.

Perhaps remaining staff should have some posting requirements? A piece a month?

Maybe that would help for a while? Dunno. The place was mostly dead when I got here. Then Mike C started that other forum which never took off but took the wind out of a few of the last of the stragglers. Honestly though, without the force of personality, the dedicated life force driving the daily action it doesnít seem possible to keep this place going. I donít think itís just that, there was also no FaceBook, or other social media platforms really competing for time and attention. And when those first got going this place seemed somehow more serious than those placesólike you could get more solid help here.

Iím not knocking your idea, but, a piece once a month or, what? A couple warnings followed by a spanking? Again, not knocking, just wondering what the incentive would be.

Flea talks about long form print media dying in favor of short interactive content, and I donít disagree, but I get the feeling that even that Idea is on the brink of an oncoming extinction event. The death of print all together. Technology is getting so much better with self generated audio/video content and the means to generate it. Thereís even a return to longer form conversational discussions happening, but itís audio/video based, and not print (podcasting). My kids and their friends rarely even text anymore. Itís all live voice chat. Discussion boards where itís like people all over the world sitting around talking to each other in real time. I suppose itís kinda like three-way calling but with a dozen or more people at the same timeówith video too.

So anyway, I donít know what could be done to revive an old school internet board in this day and age. Maybe if enough of us hang around long enough itíll become retro and experience a revival like vinyl is doing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-07-2018), Prodigalson (07-22-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:46 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

It is a team effort. It is down to putting the effort in and not getting too wound up what one said to the other.
Just ignore and carry on.
I make sure I check Writer's Beat daily even when I post and get no feedback It does not bother me If I get a reply it is great if it is not then it is for another day.
I still come on here check threads comments and post.
It is not rocket science it is just a routine you implement like everything in life.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 132

Free hotdogs.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...no need to revive the forum itself, so much as there is a need to renew one's vows towards oneself about getting more out of one's posts..." suggested the goblin who had seen so many posters come and go over the years to date, then adding "...the practice of posting is like getting to know oneself inside, where hopefully oneself evolves with that practice there, meaning that the final self will be one very advanced indeed and nothing like the you now but only if one keeps at it I imagine...", and then the goblin laughed "...fame and fortune are for those who are in essence just vain and cheap to me, no I put up with those shallow to type writertypes repeatedly because it's their forum here, but personally I'm on a journey to self instead, I mean don't you want to know who you really are on the inside by what you post out of yourself, yet you'll never know yourself in that sense without first doing those posts that truly reflect you by it, just saying...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 07-22-2018 at 09:53 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Nacia (07-22-2018), Prodigalson (07-22-2018)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe