WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Till The End

Old 07-08-2015, 02:04 AM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181
Default Till The End

Just something I dug out from a pile of stuff from last year. Thought I'd share.

9/1/2014

I’m at the hospital, visiting a cousin who broke his leg falling off some railings while skateboarding. He is now bragging about the last time he fell off some pier and how this is nothing to him. Though he winces when I give his leg a pet whenever someone makes a joke and I have to pretend it’s funny. I’m sorry, I can’t help it. He’s just so cocky.

I have a penchant to look around me whenever I visit the hospital. I do not like hospitals, there is no better store for bad tidings than hospitals. Nine point eight out of ten, whenever I visit a hospital, someone cries. The worst is when you hear that long and interminable beep coming from that dreaded machine. Then you hear someone wailing. And you wish you could somehow grab the valedicted soul and force it back into its body, then go up to his wife, give her a hug and tell her everything is all right. And at the same time, you wish you could just get out of there just to not witness anything more. Because you know, some day, you would be that someone too. Everyone has their time. You walk out those sliding doors, bum a cigarette and try to tell yourself to not think about it. But you shudder anyway.

Do those people see their lives flash before their eyes like how it’s always described in books and movies? Do they feel a rush of exultation of everything that’s come and gone in their lives? Or do they feel nothing at all? That everything just somehow ceases? That really scares me.

I look around now, and I see. Old men coughing out red, kidney shaped containers stained with retired blood, needles and syringes, pills. I turn my head, another bed, another wan face staring resignedly at nothing, seeing nothing, just waiting. Another bed, more pills, IV bags, charts recording stuff that would mean nothing to anyone but the doctor. Because you’d know, just by looking into their eyes, they don’t really care anymore. I watch them. Some get their children looking down worriedly at them, assuring them they’ll be taken care of, while they watch their grandchildren stare at them curiously. They’d smile, simply because their grandchildren were there. I wonder what their grandchildren think when they stare. Or maybe they were just bored and thinking which Disney film they should watch next when they get home. But when I look at those old people lying in bed, I wonder. What are they? What are their stories? Have they lived enough?

I watch the nurses and the doctors in their white coats. They do not walk, they stride, they know they’re needed. I watch nurses lift the syringe, hear them whisper soft words of comfort to scared little children, and to stubborn old men. I see her push down on the syringe, watch them squirm, wince, flinch. The little ones, they’re scared of the pain. But the old, they’ve had their share. They wince because they are not medicated. To them, they are poisoned. Cursed with another restless and vacant day to dwell. On things they should have done, or should not have done in their lives. On the people who have come and gone in their lives. And I could almost see it in their eyes, as the nurses lift the syringe, that quiet and subtle look of desperation. For release, for oblivion.

But she doesn’t stop. She pushes down, because that’s only right. The doctor peruses his charts, and he talks to his patients, because that’s only right. Because they are not prophets, they are preservers. And the old men and women, they have to live. Because nobody knows. Not even themselves.

What tomorrow could bring.

I feel a slap by my arm, and breaking from my reverie, my eyes register my father snapping his fingers before my face. ‘Let’s go.’

And so I go.

Till the end.

-LW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:48 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by LeWriter View Post
I give his leg a pet

And I suppose pet is grammatically correct.

But I see a small turtle being placed on his leg. Then a parakeet. A goldfish.

If pat had been used my imagination would have gone wanting.

Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
LeWriter (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 10:57 PM
LeWriter (Offline)
Living and then some

Thanks 181

Fuck. Think I just bust an artery laffin'.

Nick you guacamole asswipe.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by LeWriter View Post
Fuck. Think I just bust an artery laffin'.
I was grateful the leg did not seem to be in a cast because that would have had you affixing each critter with a dollop of superglue to it and the image of a belly stuck goldfish with its tail wavin'/waggin' as the mouth lips opened and closed
would have been more Stephen King than my little mind could manage to contain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
LeWriter (07-16-2015)
Old 07-10-2015, 09:03 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 179

Quite literary. Shows much promise!

The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Colyer For This Useful Post:
LeWriter (07-16-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Being over 70 I got the creeps reading your story. It's well written and very effective.

I especially liked the ending because you created that the feeling days dwindling to just a few.

I've heard it said that when young people see their demise in the eyes of old people, they go on to live fuller lives. I think it's true.

Have a nice writing day.

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction