WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

The Professional Wrestler

Old 06-04-2014, 05:20 PM
McConnaughay (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default The Professional Wrestler

I've never been too much for ranting.

Well, ... actually, it's kind-of who I am, but I suppose it's time for another one.

There has always been this stigma surrounding professional wrestling. Criticisms are certainly applicable, but others are from a lack of understanding. I know that I am not the only one that damn-near reaches the boiling point after reading or watching some of the misinformed statements claimed as fact about it. Beyond Nancy Grace's ignorant comments, and above those pesky "Wrestlers That Have Died Before The Age of ..." articles meant to emphasize steroid-use. (While listing individuals like Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, and others that have died from things completely unrelated.)

Everybody happily asks why wrestling fans get enjoyment out of watching professional wrestling, it's "fake" after all. They should be watching something more wholesome like football or mixed martial arts.

They act as if they just dropped a bombshell on us little plebeians. They approach it as if we're little kids and they just told us the dark and blasphemous secret about Santa Clause. (He's Canadian.)

In-retrospect, I learned that wrestling was staged and choreographed before I turned six. I didn't care. Why would I? The best things in life aren't usually real.

That's why I am a writer. I love the fake and phoniness surrounded. I love the spectacle. The imagination.

Real sucks. Real is exhausting and boring. There's a reason that Batman captured the heart of millions for decades and Jersey Shore was a flash in the pan. (It's okay though, Jersey Shore is real, right?)

Wait. Is it possible that these criticisms are accurate? Should I bid adieu to professional wrestling and watch something a little more wholesome? I should watch boxing. After all, I have suffered from insomnia all of my life and I feel that it could really help me get some sleep.

Stop it.

Truth is, I don't have a problem with boxing, mixed martial arts, or any of that jazz. I've never cared for it, but I respect it.

It just wasn't what I was looking for.

After all, where's the story? Why should I care about these individuals tossing a ball back in-fourth.

I know exactly why I love professional wrestling. Some of them have descriptive and colorful characters, and some of them are immensely talented. Some, I can relate to, and some are larger than life.

This will serve as a cue for the people to say that it doesn't take talent to wrestle. They'll say, "it's fake, they don't go through pain."

What I will say is that if they actually did their research, they'd see the talent in the craft.

Something that stuck with me even if it should only be faintly recalled is as I watched my brother come home fro a wrestling training facility. I was surprised to discover that his chest was purpler than Grimace. It was obtained from a mere night on the job. They exchanged chops to each-other. That's it.

Steve Austin broke his neck because of a botched pile-driver delivered by Owen Hart. Owen Hart plummeted to his death years later while he was trying to descend from the rafters into the ring. Owen Hart's brother, Bret Hart took a botched kick to the skull by Bill Goldberg, thus giving him a stroke and ending his career.

A Japanese wrestler that went by the name of Mitsuharu Misawa took a belly to back suplex from Akitoshi Saito before losing consciousness, then eventually dieing.

Mick Foley suffered six concussions, one broken jaw, two broken noses, one broken cheekbone, losing four front teeth, having two thirds of his ear ripped off, separating his shoulder, fracturing his left shoulder, dislocating his shoulder, second degree burns, and breaking his right wrist.

Breath.

He also suffered bone chippings in his right elbow, six broken ribs, a torn abdominal, a torn ACL, a broken toe, a total of over three-hundred stitches in his arms, head, eyebrows, hands, ears, shin, cheek and lip, thousands of thumb tack holes, ... and a broken thumb.

Chris Benoit. If you've heard of him. You might still get shivers from him.

Chris Benoit took the life of his wife and son, before going onto hang himself. It was found afterward after looking at his brain that the reason for the attacks were because of the damage he obtained while wrestling. A doctor went as far as stating that Benoit's brain was so severely damaged that it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient.

Since then, the WWE has become stricter when it comes to their performing. They have switched to a PG product. They have banned blades (cutting to make the skull bleed in a match) and chair-shots to the head.

Ric Flair is approaching his fortieth year in professional wrestling, and it's not hard to find him. For a time, he could be found limping around independents. As he struggles around the ring, you can at times see the immense amount of pain that he's put through, but he still keeps going. The world has booted the downed man over and over. He has survived plane crashes, and so many injuries. He earned to be sitting in a beach somewhere drinking sparkling alcohol.

Maybe that's why I try to defend professional wrestling, because it has been buried relentlessly and there is so many people that put their heart into the craft.

I've begun to reach the point of apathy, and finally, I can say, full-heartedly, whether you like it or you don't, it's still real to me, dammit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Writing of Nicholas McConnaughay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

it's both. it's scripted and fake as hell, but also an impressive display, requiring considerable athletic ability to put on.

That's why I am a writer. I love the fake and phoniness ...
what ?! ...
Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by McConnaughay View Post
...I've begun to reach the point of apathy, and finally, I can say, full-heartedly, whether you like it or you don't, it's still real to me, dammit.
It's interactive fantasy. It's your business if you like it or not.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:05 AM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by McConnaughay View Post
Mick Foley suffered six concussions, one broken jaw, two broken noses, one broken cheekbone, losing four front teeth, having two thirds of his ear ripped off, separating his shoulder, fracturing his left shoulder, dislocating his shoulder, second degree burns, and breaking his right wrist.

Breath.
He also suffered bone chippings in his right elbow, six broken ribs, a torn abdominal, a torn ACL, a broken toe, a total of over three-hundred stitches in his arms, head, eyebrows, hands, ears, shin, cheek and lip, thousands of thumb tack holes, ... and a broken thumb.
jeezus, at some point you'd think he might look for a new line of work. i mean, i knew these guys took their lumps, but . . . seriously? . . .
Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM
McConnaughay (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
jeezus, at some point you'd think he might look for a new line of work. i mean, i knew these guys took their lumps, but . . . seriously? . . .
Mick Foley is kind-of a dumb ass. He has shown old video-tapes before of him jumping off the roof of his house onto a mattress when he was a kid. He had his ear ripped off in a match, got up and continued. Afterward, he called his wife and said, "I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that I am coming home today. The bad news is that my ear isn't coming with me."

Oh, and the comment about writing was a joke.

The Writing of Nicholas McConnaughay

Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 182

Antonio Rocca was one of wrestlers most entertaining figures during his time. The Argentine's bare-footed, razzle-dazzle style and flying dropkicks from the upper strand drove crowds into a frenzy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lSGWz5DCao&hd=1

My friend Frankie perfected Antonio's style, flying off tall grave monuments to drop-kick me in the chest as we wrestled on Saturday afternoons in the cemetery.

Skull Murphy and Killer Kowalski were two other early wrestling favorites. Skull used the "head butt"; Killer , "Claw" to end matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrbwwVsJ3hY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-5cI1eViE4

Last edited by Cityboy; 06-07-2014 at 08:44 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction